Establishment will coalesce around Biden after SC
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:19:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Establishment will coalesce around Biden after SC
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Establishment will coalesce around Biden after SC  (Read 1506 times)
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 27, 2020, 08:43:52 PM »

This is my prediction. Biden will win South Carolina by a solid margin (10+). The establishment Democrats are very concerned about a Sanders nomination, much more than they were in 2016. They will stop playing games and make serious efforts to stop Sanders. Buttiegeg's and Klobuchar's campaigns have little chance and will likely end after Super Tuesday. Bloomberg and Steyer will likely stay in, but they are wild cards.

Could anyone see this happening?
We Live in Black and White
SvenTC
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.81, S: -6.82

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2020, 08:45:15 PM »

Nope, because Sanders will then immediately become the overwhelming frontrunner on Super Tuesday.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2020, 08:46:10 PM »

Nope, because Sanders will then immediately become the overwhelming frontrunner on Super Tuesday.

Doesn't this support my prediction? Or you think them doing this would help Sanders?
Politics Fan

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2020, 09:38:08 PM »

I think it’s already started to happen and only will intensify if Biden wins big Saturday. I don’t see how Biden winning big would be helpful to Sanders in any way. Personally I think Bloomberg has a decent chance to underperform on Tuesday which only helps Biden. Mikes support seems more soft than other candidates support and built off of low information voters that are less likely to vote and are more liable to change their mind the more they hear about the candidates. The last few weeks have not been friendly news wise to Bloomberg which has further hurt him. If Biden wins big on Saturday undecided voters that are anti Sanders are likes to break towards Biden while Joe takes some of Bloomberg soft support.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2020, 09:42:52 PM »

Bill Clinton in 1992 had a disastrous start to the Democratic primary. He lost the first 5 primaries, and didn't win his 1st primary until Georgia in March.

If the Atlas or Predictit was around in 1992, it would be filled with idiots screaming that Clinton is a terrible candidate and should drop out and endorse Jerry Brown or Bob Kerrey.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2020, 09:48:40 PM »

BRTD & Torie will appreciate this age-old Atlas paraphrased quote:

"So black Southerners rallied around the candidate they were always going to rally around", Doyle said, "In Pittsburgh, we have a saying for that: who cares?".
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2020, 10:47:00 PM »

Even if they do, there’s no guarantee that it will work, and it could be too little, too late, if Sanders wins California by a wide margin (which might already be largely baked in.) It could also backfire, depending on how much anti-establishment feeling is in the zeitgeist.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2020, 10:53:59 PM »

As long as Bloomberg stays in, Bernie will continue overwhelmingly winning contests, and Biden will continue to lag behind, not to mention Bloomberg himself.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2020, 11:00:08 PM »

Biden doesnt have the money that Bernie has, there arent any ads of Biden in Cali, there are all Bloomberg and Bernie ads
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2020, 12:05:08 AM »

The far left Sanders grassroots movement is going to (already has) hijack the Democratic Party, and the Biden, Buttigieg, Klobuchar, Bloomberg supporters are still in denial about it.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2020, 12:37:07 AM »

Clyburn last minute endorsement of Biden takes the cake. Why didnt Clyburn stop Booker from dropping out. Clyburn had to endorse Biden, to prevent Biden from losing and he still might lose in the Change Research poll Biden ia only up by 4. The Establishment is in denial about Bernie
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2020, 06:50:33 AM »

Clinton was a liberal disguised as a Dixiecrat, he should of picked Bob Kerrey instead of Gore and Dems would of avoided the 2000 nightmare scenario. If Bill Clinton wasnt liberal, he wouldnt have picked Gore, who wasnt Southern, he was a liberal elitist
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2020, 09:28:03 AM »

The far left Sanders grassroots movement is going to (already has) hijack the Democratic Party, and the Biden, Buttigieg, Klobuchar, Bloomberg supporters are still in denial about it.

They have hijacked it in the same way Trump hijacked the GOP. What a time to be alive.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2020, 11:37:51 AM »

If we haven't stopped the stock market bleeding by November, Biden might seem like a sane choice. Bernie is a crazy guy who will destroy the economy forever, though.

I was going to buy a brand new RV, but now I think I'll just put the money in the bank and wait things out. I'm probably the only person who feels this way, and I'm sure no one else will stop spending money.

We'll recover due to TRUMP's pretty good handle on things, so it probably doesn't matter.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2020, 12:15:57 PM »

It'll work as well as when the mainstream GOP tried coalescing around Cruz to stop Trump back in '16.

Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2020, 01:59:18 PM »

This is my prediction. Biden will win South Carolina by a solid margin (10+). The establishment Democrats are very concerned about a Sanders nomination, much more than they were in 2016. They will stop playing games and make serious efforts to stop Sanders. Buttiegeg's and Klobuchar's campaigns have little chance and will likely end after Super Tuesday. Bloomberg and Steyer will likely stay in, but they are wild cards.

All of this will happen as you say, except Steyer will drop out after spending a fortune in SC and finishing third or worse.
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2020, 03:26:11 PM »

It'll work as well as when the mainstream GOP tried coalescing around Cruz to stop Trump back in '16.

ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2020, 04:28:46 PM »

They will, but the question is will it be enough? Bloomberg is unlikely to drop out and at least some of the other candidates have indicated their unwillingness to set a litmus test for their performance on Super Tuesday.
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2020, 11:31:39 PM »

All of this will happen as you say, except Steyer will drop out after spending a fortune in SC and finishing third or worse.

#accolades
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2020, 01:46:22 PM »

Well it looks like they are dropping out even earlier than I expected.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2020, 01:54:11 PM »

I read all this sudden consolidation as the silent Obama's quiet hand. We talk about the Democratic establishment, the Democratic establishment is pretty much Obama and his devotees at this point, moreso than the Clintons anyway.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2020, 02:19:37 PM »

I read all this sudden consolidation as the silent Obama's quiet hand. We talk about the Democratic establishment, the Democratic establishment is pretty much Obama and his devotees at this point, moreso than the Clintons anyway.
If this was Obamas doing, why hasn't he just openly come out to endorse Biden yet? I know he wants to be seen as not interfering in the election, but it is his own damn vicepresident, he could absolutely get a pass for endorsing him (albeit not from the BernieBros, but they'll hate him regardless).
ugabug
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.61, S: -4.35

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2020, 02:52:01 PM »

If this was Obamas doing, why hasn't he just openly come out to endorse Biden yet? I know he wants to be seen as not interfering in the election, but it is his own damn vicepresident, he could absolutely get a pass for endorsing him (albeit not from the BernieBros, but they'll hate him regardless).
I was listening to a podcast earlier that had David Axelrod on it and he said that the last time he spoke with Obama on this subject (mind you Axelrod made it clear Obama's views could have changed since then) that Obama wanted to hold back and try and act as a unifying figure once the primary was over incase there is any lingering bad blood.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2020, 03:53:44 PM »

My gut feeling is that it's over for Bernie. It'll drag on, but I feel decisively pessimistic
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2020, 03:56:45 PM »

My sense is that Warren and Bloomberg will continue on after ST since both will be running as the compromise candidate if there is a Biden-Sanders deadlock. Clearly if one of Sanders and Biden after ST is en route to a majority then this is moot.  That just seems unlikely right now.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies