Polls show support for Northam...from Republicans
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:12:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Polls show support for Northam...from Republicans
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Polls show support for Northam...from Republicans  (Read 1243 times)
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 07, 2019, 08:12:25 PM »

https://today.yougov.com/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/02/07/governor-ralph-northam-virginia-poll

https://www.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5c58c81de4b09293b2077b05

According to the first poll, Democrats want Northam to resign by a 2-to-1 margin. A slim plurality of Republicans want him to stay.

The second poll finds that 41% of Democrats find the blackface disqualifying compared to only 19% of Republicans.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 08:49:00 PM »

At least they're consistent...I don't think that necessarily means that they support him though. Remember that he's trying to pass an abortion bill. They just don't want him to resign so that they or their elected officials don't have to be held to the same standard.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 08:55:38 PM »

Not a surprise.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 09:01:36 PM »

That's because most Republicans have gone blackface before.
15 Down, 35 To Go
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2019, 09:34:57 PM »

At least this Republican believes that, when God forgives any sin, society should too.  I don't know if Northam has made this sin right with the Lord or not, but I believe he has moved past this.  In general, I don't care what someone did decades ago (this goes for Northam, but also Roy Moore and Brett Kavanaugh), but only about who the person is today (that's where Northam fails in my opinion).
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2019, 10:50:39 PM »

I wonder if any current US Senator has blackface issues.
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2019, 11:02:29 PM »

At least this Republican believes that, when God forgives any sin, society should too.  I don't know if Northam has made this sin right with the Lord or not, but I believe he has moved past this.  In general, I don't care what someone did decades ago (this goes for Northam, but also Roy Moore and Brett Kavanaugh), but only about who the person is today (that's where Northam fails in my opinion).

My issue about Moore and Kavanaugh is that they are unrepentant.

I'm amazed that I have found myself taking up for Northam.  I've never liked him.  But I would people here who wish to drive him from office to cite any racist actions taken by Northam in his public life.  Indeed, I would like someone to point out any other incidents of Northam demonstrating racism, other than the "blackface" incident (which was tasteless, but I see no evidence of it being done in the spirit of, say, Cindy Hyde-Smith). 
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2019, 01:23:08 AM »

My issue about Moore and Kavanaugh is that they are unrepentant.

I'm amazed that I have found myself taking up for Northam.  I've never liked him.  But I would people here who wish to drive him from office to cite any racist actions taken by Northam in his public life.  Indeed, I would like someone to point out any other incidents of Northam demonstrating racism, other than the "blackface" incident (which was tasteless, but I see no evidence of it being done in the spirit of, say, Cindy Hyde-Smith). 

But isnt Northram's highly incredulous denial about have done this a sign of non-repentance.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2019, 09:14:22 AM »

Surprise! Republicans support the Klan!
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2019, 09:30:10 AM »

I wonder if any current US Senator has blackface issues.
The Republicans have done blackface and the Democrats have issues with it Tongue
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2019, 09:35:42 AM »

That's the reason they didn't expose the issue in 2017: Fear their voters switch over.

(Just kidding)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2019, 09:36:06 AM »

At least this Republican believes that, when God forgives any sin, society should too. 

Is this your criminal justice policy as well?
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2019, 01:34:07 PM »

At least this Republican believes that, when God forgives any sin, society should too.

Sin =/= crime
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2019, 01:37:20 PM »

I endorsed him and campaigned for him in 2017 over Perriello and I will never back off that. Northam has my support forever.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2019, 01:38:46 PM »

The Democrats in Virginia have shot themselves 3x in their knees.

Of course Republicans are supporting Northam now and want him to remain in office. He's their best guy for 2020 and makes a Trump victory in VA more likely.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2019, 01:48:45 PM »

Medal506
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2019, 01:57:07 PM »

I think Northam should stay as he did nothing wrong where as Fairfax raped a young woman years ago so Fairfax should resign.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2019, 01:58:36 PM »

Sin =/= crime

Even in a society such as ours, there is notable overlap. No one is obliged to forgive murder because a man has made himself right with God. It may be beneficial to themselves to do so, but that's a distinct issue.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2019, 02:17:52 PM »

Sin =/= crime

Even in a society such as ours, there is notable overlap. No one is obliged to forgive murder because a man has made himself right with God. It may be beneficial to themselves to do so, but that's a distinct issue.

I question that forgiving murder implies nonpunishment. I can forgive in that I let go the malice I bear towards a murderer for the misdeed, but also recognize that the just and proportionate punishment of the criminal is necessary for the good of society.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2019, 02:52:40 PM »

He has handled the situation horribly and I understand people wanting him to resign. However, someone being racist at age 25 is in no way disqualifying for them to hold office at age 60, so I'm relieved that the number of Democrats who say it's disqualifying is below 50%.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2019, 06:51:16 PM »

He has handled the situation horribly and I understand people wanting him to resign. However, someone being racist at age 25 is in no way disqualifying for them to hold office at age 60, so I'm relieved that the number of Democrats who say it's disqualifying is below 50%.

This.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2019, 07:00:23 PM »

Handling himself as bad as he did is in itself inexcusable to remain in office. At least Mark Herring apologized for it and hoped to get better, more PR-equipped Northam denied what was already damning evidence.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies