Discordgate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:22:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Discordgate
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Discordgate  (Read 3088 times)
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2019, 04:28:38 AM »

Three days later, this remains unresolved. Life is continuing on like this never happened, which is not okay.

This matters much more and is much more relevant to the ability to be a good administration than the question of Pericles's/Jimmy's/Glam Glam's guilt or innocence re-discordgate: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=313360.0

I've already corrected the misinformation in that thread, and explained and took responsibility for the mishap, so considering it's not relevant to the subject matter of this thread, I'm somewhat unsure why you are bringing this up other than to merely engage in whataboutisms and try and equate two totally different mistakes. Is there something you'd like for me to address regarding the controversial speech?

Sure. Why do you need to outsource Speech-writing duties to third parties not otherwise involved in the campaign, and why did Jimmy apparently fail to even read the speech before he posted it?
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2019, 04:54:55 AM »
« Edited: February 12, 2019, 03:11:28 AM by VP YE »

Three days later, this remains unresolved. Life is continuing on like this never happened, which is not okay.

This matters much more and is much more relevant to the ability to be a good administration than the question of Pericles's/Jimmy's/Glam Glam's guilt or innocence re-discordgate: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=313360.0

I've already corrected the misinformation in that thread, and explained and took responsibility for the mishap, so considering it's not relevant to the subject matter of this thread, I'm somewhat unsure why you are bringing this up other than to merely engage in whataboutisms and try and equate two totally different mistakes. Is there something you'd like for me to address regarding the controversial speech?

Sure. Why do you need to outsource Speech-writing duties to third parties not otherwise involved in the campaign, and why did Jimmy apparently fail to even read the speech before he posted it?

The speechwriter in this case was involved in the campaign, and was kind enough to offer to write a foreign policy related speech. As for your second question, I am not Jimmy so I can't answer for him, but I told Jimmy to explicitly publish it himself after it was written, and after he assembled the post by adding picture and made slight changes to the wording of the speech, I gave him the final go ahead. With that said, I'm not really sure what you're trying to do here with the ambitious way of framing questions and asking stuff that's not really related to the earlier speech such as the inner workings of my campaign. It honestly comes off as a smear effort to try to score political points rather than genuinely improve the game (which is what you seem to be doing in contrast to Lumine and Yankee seem to be more interested in doing in the other thread and is a selling point of my campaign).
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2019, 01:50:01 AM »

It honestly comes off as a smear effort to try to score political points rather than genuinely improve the game (which is what Lumine and Yankee seem to be more interested in doing in the other thread and is a selling point of my campaign).

How dare you, how dare you claim I am not interested in improving this game. I have done more to improve this game, to bring people into it, to save it from crazies, to keep Senate, House Senate running so other crazies didn't secede/blow it up/destroy the game and helped craft and get passed not one but two of its Constitutions, institute activity standards and boot a good dozen people from office including my own party when they screwed up, and because you cannot take a little heat for a bad campaign move you are going to trivialize the work that I have done and the work that lumine has done over the past ten and six years respectively.

I am very much interested in improving this game. I pushed for creation of enhanced foreign policy simulations, supported the creation of the NSC, and pushed like hell to bring it back when it was canned. The concept of dynamic interaction between the SoS/SoIA and the GM has been one I have sought for a good seven years. It is because of this institution that I felt the need to have a Chief of Staff, an office that wouldn't exist if I didn't pull it out of nowhere from a long forgotten campaign way back in like 2009. People laughed at the notion back then as newbie fluff. If it weren't for me Jimmy wouldn't be Chief of Staff right now presiding over a National Security Council and no one would give a hoot about what he is saying on the campaign trail.

With offices come responsibilities and obligations.  
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2019, 01:56:04 AM »

It honestly comes off as a smear effort to try to score political points rather than genuinely improve the game (which is what Lumine and Yankee seem to be more interested in doing in the other thread and is a selling point of my campaign).

How dare you, how dare you claim I am not interested in improving this game. I have done more to improve this game, to bring people into it, to save it from crazies, to keep Senate, House Senate running so other crazies didn't secede/blow it up/destroy the game and helped craft and get passed not one but two of its Constitutions, institute activity standards and boot a good dozen people from office including my own party when they screwed up, and because you cannot take a little heat for a bad campaign move you are going to trivialize the work that I have done and the work that lumine has done over the past ten and six years respectively.

I am very much interested in improving this game. I pushed for creation of enhanced foreign policy simulations, supported the creation of the NSC, and pushed like hell to bring it back when it was canned. The concept of dynamic interaction between the SoS/SoIA and the GM has been one I have sought for a good seven years. It is because of this institution that I felt the need to have a Chief of Staff, an office that wouldn't exist if I didn't pull it out of nowhere from a long forgotten campaign way back in like 2009. People laughed at the notion back then as newbie fluff. If it weren't for me Jimmy wouldn't be Chief of Staff right now presiding over a National Security Council and no one would give a hoot about what he is saying on the campaign trail.

Oh, we need to clear this up, because we're not on the same page, " what Lumine and Yankee seem to be more interested in doing in the other thread" refers to "genuinely improve the game", not "comes off as a smear effort to try to score political point".
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2019, 02:21:06 AM »

Oh, we need to clear this up, because we're not on the same page, " what Lumine and Yankee seem to be more interested in doing in the other thread" refers to "genuinely improve the game", not "comes off as a smear effort to try to score political point".

Well like with your Fremont health care bill, your written words and desired result are not in sync with one another.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2019, 02:59:20 AM »

Well like with your Fremont health care bill, your written words and desired result are not in sync with one another.

"and is a selling point of my campaign" should have made it clear my intent. I'll re-word the earlier post so there's no more confusion.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2019, 11:28:25 AM »

You didn't have people impersonating others. You didn't have mysterious people operating through test accounts and bots. It was straight forward and honest in a way that both Discord and IRC are not and that was aided because a lot of people had their AIMs linked to their Atlas forum accounts.

What about users just adding "Discord Name: <profile/name>" to the About Me section of their Ultimate Profile on Atlas? (UP would have to be enabled for them).

If everyone in Atlasia made that SOP, this wouldn't be as much of a problem.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2019, 11:30:26 AM »

You didn't have people impersonating others. You didn't have mysterious people operating through test accounts and bots. It was straight forward and honest in a way that both Discord and IRC are not and that was aided because a lot of people had their AIMs linked to their Atlas forum accounts.

What about users just adding "Discord Name: <profile/name>" to the About Me section of their Ultimate Profile on Atlas? (UP would have to be enabled for them).

If everyone in Atlasia made that SOP, this wouldn't be as much of a problem.

Keep in mind that in Discord the name on the screen can be changed. There's also a secondary name that appears when you click I guess but I also think people could get around it
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2019, 02:09:36 PM »

Keep in mind that in Discord the name on the screen can be changed. There's also a secondary name that appears when you click I guess but I also think people could get around it

You can always do in-game punishments for dirtbag trickery. If all of this drama is starting to hurt the game, it's worth considering.

I dunno, but while I know there isn't an actual profile field for Discord/Skype/etc, it doesn't mean it can't be added to the other generic fields.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2019, 02:25:33 PM »

You can always do in-game punishments for dirtbag trickery. If all of this drama is starting to hurt the game, it's worth considering.

There's some very strong merit to that idea, I'd say, and there's precedent based on the various legislation passed after some legislative steps were taken on Discord instead of the forum. It may be interesting to explore some sort of "Code of Ethics" for Atlasia-related instant messaging, or to expand the definition of certain crimes/offenses within the game to include Discord as well (particularly stuff like impersonation).

Considering how much Discord outsourcing drains activity from the game and how much of a poisonous environment can be created - with the subsequent loss of players who have been hurt -, some stronger limits (and a clear policy on leaks) might be a good change of pace.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2019, 04:09:03 PM »

I dunno, but while I know there isn't an actual profile field for Discord/Skype/etc, it doesn't mean it can't be added to the other generic fields.

That would not really address this problem though since we don’t know who was responsible for the actual leak and have at best only a vague idea on who the individual who doctored screens is. In theory adding Discord usernames to the Ultimate Profile would reduce the pool of suspects but aside from increased consequences if caught, I don’t see what would prevent someone from not using their listed Discord username in an attempt to do something sketchy.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2019, 05:54:14 PM »

"and is a selling point of my campaign" should have made it clear my intent. I'll re-word the earlier post so there's no more confusion.

That could have gone either way though, meaning that it is a selling point that you aren't doing x, y, z like heretofore mentioned individuals and that was how I interpreted it.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2019, 05:59:48 PM »

The problem is more to with Discord itself, they very versatility and anonymity that it provides enables this problem.

Even if I put down NCY1689 on my Atlas, it would be possible on IRC for instance, for someone else to enter as NCY1689 and people did. One time someone actually entered as North Carolina Yankee, and I nailed them because I never went into IRC using North Carolina Yankee, I am not an expert on discord but the name change feature can cause the same effect.

There are many instances on discord where I haven't the slightest idea who I am talking to and even the profile window doesn't tell me anything except meaningless nonsense or numbers.

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2019, 06:01:27 PM »

There's some very strong merit to that idea, I'd say, and there's precedent based on the various legislation passed after some legislative steps were taken on Discord instead of the forum. It may be interesting to explore some sort of "Code of Ethics" for Atlasia-related instant messaging, or to expand the definition of certain crimes/offenses within the game to include Discord as well (particularly stuff like impersonation).

Considering how much Discord outsourcing drains activity from the game and how much of a poisonous environment can be created - with the subsequent loss of players who have been hurt -, some stronger limits (and a clear policy on leaks) might be a good change of pace.

I agree completely!
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2019, 06:23:43 PM »

The problem is more to with Discord itself, they very versatility and anonymity that it provides enables this problem.

Even if I put down NCY1689 on my Atlas, it would be possible on IRC for instance, for someone else to enter as NCY1689 and people did. One time someone actually entered as North Carolina Yankee, and I nailed them because I never went into IRC using North Carolina Yankee, I am not an expert on discord but the name change feature can cause the same effect.

There are many instances on discord where I haven't the slightest idea who I am talking to and even the profile window doesn't tell me anything except meaningless nonsense or numbers.

We should make a thread where people post their Discord identities to at least somewhat reduce that problem.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2019, 08:20:25 PM »

Yea I mean by no means am I suggesting that it'll fix everything, but it's something. And in-game punishments might not always deter people but it may make them think twice if they are actually invested in Atlasia.

I dunno, it's just something to think about it. You can always try different things.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2019, 07:34:08 PM »

Apparently LT posted this in lokcord (or at least that's what I've been told). This is from the Weatherboy administration server, a room in which he does not have access to (and only administration officials do though this includes the DPC).
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2019, 08:11:36 PM »

So what are you trying to prove, YE? I'm more focused on the contents of the screenshot: you've talked tough about how you won't stand for the negativity/bad-mouthing on your administration server, yet this screenshot is just further proof that you're part of an administration that does it all the time.

This is something I brought up in the debate as there was an entire question related to Discord. Since you're already 15 hours + late on your response to that question, maybe you can include an explanation when you make your debate post.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2019, 08:13:03 PM »

TM is definitely an expert on smears and negativity...
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2019, 11:03:10 PM »

That said leaks are still ongoing from an unknown source and have been received by participants in this game. This may or may not be related to the original leak.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2019, 11:09:28 PM »

That said leaks are still ongoing from an unknown source and have been received by participants in this game. This may or may not be related to the original leak.
Well, I think the biggest issue with the initial leak is that it was fabricated and unfairly cast Jimmy in a poor light. Was this post fabricated, can you confirm?
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2019, 11:10:53 PM »

Well, I think the biggest issue with the initial leak is that it was fabricated and unfairly cast Jimmy in a poor light. Was this post fabricated, can you confirm?

No, it was not.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2019, 02:34:38 AM »

I'm sure I'm missing the 4 days of content, and petty squabbles but you need to work in a political office, and then decide if that counts as bad mouthing.

Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies