Trump voters realizing they’re getting screwed over while filing taxes this year
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 06, 2024, 08:57:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump voters realizing they’re getting screwed over while filing taxes this year
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Trump voters realizing they’re getting screwed over while filing taxes this year  (Read 2546 times)
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2019, 11:58:29 AM »

Doubling the child tax credit was a huge boon for me this year. Got a big refund.
Great policy!
The Salad Days
milkwichita
Rookie

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2019, 12:03:40 PM »

It's like a who's who of conservative states

Hate to be non-pc, but this map has little to do with state tax policy, rather the gap between red and blue is largely due to Native American population being concentrated in WY, AZ, ND, MT, SD, OK, NM, AK..

..KS, UT, NE, CO have much lower native populations and therefore score much higher

GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2019, 02:35:27 PM »

Netflix Posted Biggest-Ever Profit in 2018 and Paid $0 in Taxes

This is crazy but also predates Trump. The idea we needed a huge corporate tax cut is such a disgrace.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2019, 03:29:01 PM »

I think this is mostly about the withholding rates for 2018 went down a lot as a result of that new tax law so and in many cases overcompensated for the lower tax rates.  As a result many people's refunds  went down or owned money relative to 2017. 
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2019, 03:35:39 PM »

Doubling the child tax credit was a huge boon for me this year. Got a big refund.

Washington has no income tax, right? States with income taxes are getting hit hardest by the SALT dome.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2019, 03:37:50 PM »

Yeah voters don’t care about that.  They depend on that refund check and they are pissed.  You can make fun of their flawed logic...but now you know how Democrats feel trying to explain any complicated policy to the average dumb, uninformed voter who thinks they’re smart and informed.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2019, 03:48:48 PM »

Why dont voters blame their state governments and demand them to cut their state income and property tax instead of the National GOP for reducing the SALT deduction.

Donald Trump and the GOP care only about the super-rich in America. Everybory else can suffer for them -- but must remember to smile.

Can states really cut their taxes? Are they to privatize their state universities? Transfer their roads to monopolistic profiteers? Are cities to cut back on police and fire protection or on K-12 education?

"Make America Great Again" -- sure -- if you want a sweatshop economy.

Texas has one of the lowest tax burdens in the nation yet it is by far one of the best states in the nation maybe the best right now .Housing prices are relatively affordable , wages are good and their is a lot of opportunity too.

That's because of oil wealth. However, Texas's economy has been stagnant for the past 4-5 years due to the drop in oil prices.

No state should rely heavily on just one industry.

California could lower housing prices if they reduced how strict their zoning regulations are
Sure, maybe. However, California's housing costs largely stem from the supply and demand.

So many people want to live in California but there's not enough houses and apartments to meet the demand.

The solution to that is to implement policies that increase the supply of housing (by a lot )

RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2019, 05:19:39 PM »

Washington has no income tax, right? States with income taxes are getting hit hardest by the SALT dome.

Yeah, that's fair. SALT was basically useless here unless you're really rich, own a good-sized sole proprietorship, or for some reason paid a ton in sales taxes.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2019, 07:12:08 PM »

Why dont voters blame their state governments and demand them to cut their state income and property tax instead of the National GOP for reducing the SALT deduction.

Donald Trump and the GOP care only about the super-rich in America. Everybory else can suffer for them -- but must remember to smile.

Can states really cut their taxes? Are they to privatize their state universities? Transfer their roads to monopolistic profiteers? Are cities to cut back on police and fire protection or on K-12 education?

Texas has one of the lowest tax burdens in the nation yet it is by far one of the best states in the nation maybe the best right now .Housing prices are relatively affordable , wages are good and their is a lot of opportunity too.

That's because of oil wealth. However, Texas's economy has been stagnant for the past 4-5 years due to the drop in oil prices.

California could lower housing prices if they reduced how strict their zoning regulations are

The biggest obstacle to that is NIMBYism. Any time you try to build affordable housing, the residents all go Affordable housing! But that’s where all the black people live! Not in my backyard! and it never gets approved.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2019, 07:34:04 PM »

There's a good HBO TV series "Show Me a Hero" based on the true story of a Yonkers housing development and how nasty and obstructive the residents and politicians were to building it.

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2019, 07:36:53 PM »

The biggest obstacle to that is NIMBYism. Any time you try to build affordable housing, the residents all go Affordable housing! But that’s where all the black people live! Not in my backyard! and it never gets approved.

Around here, no one builds affordable housing. We get apartments that start at $3000. And you might think that these are some sort of awesome luxury apartments. Nope, they're apartments whose balconies collapse, killing 6 people.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2019, 08:04:35 PM »

Are the people who vote Republican exclusively for taxes going to shift ends masse to Bernie or Biden? They live in blue states anyway, but this is the same case as saying Democrats would vote Republican in the Virginia legislative elections to own the Democrats for being racist. Because you don't get a refund doesn't mean you are going to vote for someone vowing to increase it even more.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2019, 08:11:50 PM »

I'd be paying far more if this bill hadn't passed.  And I don't make six figures.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2019, 08:25:59 PM »

Well, here in New Jersey, a lot of us are getting screwed over due to how the 2017 bill affected SALT deductions. That's why the GOP are endangered here, they ceded their best issue for the state to the Democrats. At the very least, I'm sure some soft support New Jersey Trump voters could learn a lesson.

His other voters/supporters though, as usual, I wouldn't bet on it. They're probably perfectly happy to subsidize tax cuts for millionaires and billionaires. Hell, they're perfectly willing to have their tax dollars pay for a useless border wall that Mexico was supposed to pay for, for f***'s sake! There are probably also Trump supporters who support having their ranch on the border get bought out by the government for less than market value for that wall. Eminent domain is only bad when Democrats do it!

Seriously, Trump could strangle their dog in front of them and they would rationalize it as being for the greater good. They will never stop supporting him.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2019, 04:36:07 PM »

I'd be paying far more if this bill hadn't passed.  And I don't make six figures.

Tennessee has among the lowest state taxes in the country and no income tax, I believe.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies