1976: America's Reaction Gameplay Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:00:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  1976: America's Reaction Gameplay Thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: 1976: America's Reaction Gameplay Thread  (Read 2617 times)
Peanut
Costa Rica

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 08, 2019, 10:35:44 PM »
« edited: February 14, 2019, 10:22:50 PM by Lincoln Dep. Speaker Peanut »

America's Reaction: a 1976 Election Game

Turn I

November 2-25, 1976:

The one-year countdown for the 1976 Presidential election starts as candidates battle it out, candidates diverse in ideology, vision, personality, and life experiences. The American public is in no way decided, the chaos and turmoil of the early '70s and late '60s is in no way over, and it is anything but certain what path the nation will take. The primary contests, both parties using an ambitious new 50-state primary system, are beginning to take shape, and we can only wait to gauge the public will and see which will be America's reaction. Will the nation claim for an outsider after eight years of Nixon and Ford? Or will it stick to continuity in leadership? Will they return to the traditional New Deal liberalism or the moderate policies of Eisenhower, or strike a completely new course in the mold of Goldwater or McGovern? That will all be revealed this year.

Primary schedule:

January 19: Iowa caucuses
February 21: Mississippi caucuses
February 25: New Hampshire primary
March 2:Massachusetts and Vermont primary, Washington caucus
March 9: Florida primary
March 16: Illinois primary

Nationwide Polling: November 2-10, 1975:

First week of November 1975-National Republican Polling:

Governor Ronald Reagan: 21%
Senator Edward Brooke: 20%
Businessman Ray Kroc: 18%
Director George Bush: 15%
Undecideds: 26%

First week of November 1975-National Democratic Polling:
Senator Edmund Muskie: 13%
Governor Jerry Brown: 11%
Senator Lloyd Bentsen: 10%
Senator Frank Church: 9%
Governor George Wallace: 8%
Senator Mike Gravel: 8%
Governor Jimmy Carter: 6%
Congresswoman Pat Schroeder: 5%
Undecideds: 30%

Running list of endorsements:

Republicans:

Governor Ronald Reagan: (has 1.2 credits left):

Senator Paul Laxalt
Senator Barry Goldwater

Senator Edward Brooke (has 1 credit left):

Senator Howard Baker
Senator Jacob Javits

Businessman Ray Kroc (has 3.6 credits left):

Senator Bob Dole
Congressman Jack Kemp
House Minority Leader John Jacob Rhodes

Director George Bush (has 0 credits left):

Senator Hugh Scott
President Gerald Ford

Democrats:

Senator Edmund Muskie (has 0.6 credits left):

Civil rights leader John Lewis
Congressman Andrew Young
Congressman Don Riegle

Governor Jerry Brown (has 1.2 credits left):

Civil rights and labor leader Cesar Chavez
Congressman Tom Harkin

Senator Lloyd Bentsen (has 0 credits left):

Senator Lawton Chiles
Ms. Coretta Scott King
Congressman Jack Hightower

Senator Frank Church (has 1.8 credits left):

Governor Hugh Carey

All other candidates currently have no endorsements.

General rules:

1. This turn will last from February 8 to February 20, though the time may be lengthened or shortened depending on gameplay flow. If so, I will tell the players duly to let them know.
2. You may PM me for endorsements. Every 5% in the polls equals one credit, with the necessary fractions (e.g, Governor Wallace currently has 1.6 credits, which rounds up to 2.) I will be quite liberal with who I let endorse, so feel free to use endorsements in addition to your campaign plans.
3. You may post as many speeches as you want, and one ad per endorsement credit you have (ads do not cost credits themselves.)
4. It will be necessary to post a campaign schedule.
5. There will be both Democratic and Republican debates this first turn. I'll post the Republican debate Sunday 10th and the Democratic one Tuesday 12th.
6. I'll be regularly posting situations, crises, or news reports (both individual and general) to which it'd be very helpful for you to react.
7. You may ask for an interview, which will be posted in the next update.

Most importantly, of course, have fun!

I'll be posting a running endorsements list soon.
Huey Long is a Republican
New Tennessean Politician
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 10:42:47 PM »

November 2nd

- Campaign Funding in Detroit, Michigan

November 3rd

- Fly to Hartford, Connecticut

- Rally against Government Corruption in Hartford, Connecticut

November 4th-9th

- Brooke holds Fundraising events in Wisconsin, Texas, and New Hampshire

November 10th

- Meet with Voters in Manchester, New Hampshire

- Anti-Corruption Speech in Manchester, New Hampshire

- Rally with Voters in Rochester, New Hampshire where Brooke attacks Ronald Reagan for being too Conservative for the Party and the Nation at large, citing Goldwater’s landslide loss in 1964

- Foreign Policy Speech in Nashua, New Hampshire

- Energy Policy Speech in Keene, New Hampshire

- Senator Brooke debates Governor Reagan, Director Bush, and Mr. Kroc for the First Republican Debate at Boston University in Boston, Massachusetts

November 11th

- Meet with Voters in Merrimack, New Hampshire

- Foreign Policy Speech in Merrimack, New Hampshire

- Universal Healthcare Policy Speech in Exeter, New Hampshire :

You must be logged in to read this quote.

- Rally with Tennessee Senator Howard Baker in Laconia, New Hampshire.

- Meeting with voters in Hampton, New Hampshire with Tennessee Senator Howard Baker

November 12th-15th

- Go across the States of Vermont and Massachusetts, rallying a Liberal and Moderate base of supporters that he can rely upon. With Howard Baker, Senator Brooke meets with Voters, has 2 fundraising events, a few energy and foreign policy speeches, and a few dozen rallies to raise support for himself in New England, spending two days a state.

November 16th

- Rally in Albany, New York, where Senator Brooke slams Ray Kroc on his inexperience in Politics despite running for President :

November 18th-20th

- Senator Brooke campaigns in both New Jersey and Pennsylvania, hoping to raise his support in these two key states and have a good solid lead in them once the primaries begin.

November 21st-23rd

- Senator Brooke campaigns across Illinois in the cities of Chicago, Springfield, Peora, Rockford, and Naperville as well as the neighboring towns and villages surrounding the cities to raise his support in this key state that could make or break Senator Brooke’s campaign against his main opponents in Kroc and Bush in the region. He uses Senator Baker to raise support among the Moderates of the State.

November 24th

- Flight to Savanna, Georgia

- Universal Healthcare Policy Speech in Savanna, Georgia

- Foreign Policy Speech in Savanna, Georgia

- Meet with voters in Savanna, Georgia

- Rally in Savanna, Georgia with Senator Baker

- Fundraising event in Savanna, Georgia

November 25th

- Energy Policy Speech in Augusta, Georgia

- Tax Policy Speech in Augusta, Georgia

- Meet with Voters in Augusta, Georgia

- Anti-Corruption Speech in Columbus, Georgia

- Meet with voters in Columbus, Georgia

- Education Policy Speech in Atlanta, Georgia

- Civil Rights Speech in Atlanta, Georgia :

November 26th

- Flight to Miami, Florida

- Energy Policy Speech in Miami, Florida

- Space Exploration Policy Speech in Miami, Florida

- Environmental Policy Speech in Miami, Florida

- Hold a Rally with Senator Howard Baker, who promotes Brooke’s Agenda as great for Florida and great for the Country as a whole

- Ad Filming in Miami, Florida

- Meet with Voters in Miami, Florida

- Rally in Miami, Florida

November 27th-30th

- Use the Thanksgiving Holiday as a break from campaigning to spend with family and friends.

- Senator Brooke hosts a Thanksgiving Party at his house, inviting his opponents on both sides to come over and just be friendly to one another while meeting each families.
NyIndy

Political Matrix
E: 0.25, S: -3.15

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 03:23:09 PM »

Pat Schroeder Throws Hat Into the Ring!

Rep. Schroeder Campaigning for Congress in 1972

"Hello, Denver! As I'm sure you know I'm here to kick off my campaign for president in 1976! I know there seems to be a perception that I will be the "Woman Candidate" but I am far from that. I won my first term in Congress against an Incumbent the same night President Nixon won a 49 state sweep. We were only able to achieve that by bridging divides across Gender, Class, and Party, which is exactly how I will lead our party back to the White House! Thank you!"
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: 0.52

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 03:28:23 PM »

LLOYD BENTSEN CAMPAIGN SCHEDULE, NOVEMBER 1975

November 2: Holds rally in Amarillo, Texas; announces endorsement of Representative Jack Hightower

November 3-4: Campaigning in the Dallas area

November 5-7: Campaigning in northern Alabama, capping off with a rally in Birmingham, where he announces the endorsement of Coretta Scott King, widow to the late Reverend Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote from: Restricted

November 8-9: Fundraising tour in Tampa Bay area with Senator Chiles

November 10: Gives speech in St. Petersburg, Florida:

November 11-13: Rest and perform Senatorial duties

November 14-16: Speaking tour in Vermont, with events in Burlington, Montpelier, Essex, Bennington, Stowe, and Brattleboro

November 17: Town hall in Manchester, New Hampshire

November 18-20: Speaking tour in New Hampshire, with events in Manchester, Nashua, Concord, Portsmouth, Exeter, and Rochester.

November 21-22: Rest and perform Senatorial duties

November 23: Fundraising event in Dallas, Texas

November 24: Major rally with Representative Hightower and Coretta Scott King in Des Moines, Iowa

November 25-28: Town halls in Des Moines, Ames, Iowa City, Cedar Rapids, Cedar Falls, and Davenport, IA, and Moline and Rockford, IL.

November 29: Speaks at Progressive Baptist Church in Chicago, IL, alongside Coretta Scott King.

November 30: Rests and plans strategy for next month.
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 08:05:52 PM »

November 6, 1975

Campaign update and interview with Mr. Kroc

The campaign is starting to pick up, while a new slew of endorsements have occurred.

President Ford threw his support between Director Bush in a move some anticipated, thereby sealing the Director's support among the Republican establishment (at least for now). Additionally, Senator Barry Goldwater has endorsed Ronald Reagan, citing him as the only person who can help build America back and protect freedom. Senator Jacob Javits, meanwhile, threw his support behind his ideological confrere, Senator Ed Brooke.

On the Democratic side, there have been two endorsements of note: Congressman Jack Hightower and popular civil rights leader, MLK's widow Coretta Scott King, both threw their support behind Senator Lloyd Bentsen, alleging he is the best person to deliver upon progressive and liberal desires while ending the commotion of the 1970s.

Congressmen Andrew Young and Donald Riegle have additionally endorsed Senator Muskie, giving him more support among both important civil rights leaders and Democratic ideological stalwarts.

We are also pleased to have today an interview with Mr. Ray Kroc, who has asserted himself as one of the strongest and more ideologically-driven of the GOP candidates.

Self-assured and confident, the unlikely candidate gives a cheery greeting in his California office. He has the same kind of down-to-earth, but at the same time oddly polished look usually only seen in the most popular of politicians. His office is filled with mementos from his McDonald's experience, carefully curated and visibly taken care of, as we sit down for the interview. An aide comes, with a warm smile belying hard work under a strict yet forgiving boss, and offers me a bottle of old-fashioned Coca-Cola. A quintesentially American scene as we sit down for the conversation.

Hello, Mr. Kroc. It is a pleasure to have you here today. Do you have some opening statements before we begin?

-Thanks for having me on. Hopefully I can respond to some of the insinuations made against me here today.

There is the occasional cynic that says you already have fame. You already have money. You already have influence. Could you elaborate, then, on why exactly you're running for President?

-The American people put their trust in the Washington establishment to lead them. That trust has been betrayed. Corruption, as has been proven, is systematic in Washington. Every American is tired at being let down by a government that cares only for itself. But the average American would be laughed at if they ran for President.  I'm running because our middle class needs a voice. At McDonald's, our franchisees are all from the middle class, and I'm proud of that. We give them a chance to chase the American Dream. I'm running to fix a broken system. I'm running to restore faith in America.

How can you assuage concerns that you are too inexperienced to become President? What is your view, for example, on detente or on our relationships with the Soviet Union, and how can you assure the American public that you can, indeed, be the leader they need?

-I find charges of my experience to be a bit spurious, to be frank. I created the biggest restaurant chain in America, but I digress.

I believe that we should continue our period of detente. Relations with the Soviets have always been stormy, and at the very least, we could continue implementing arms control measures to reduce the spectre of nuclear war. A period of relaxed tension is a benefit to every American who wants to start a business, as it creates new markets for their goods.

However, this doesn't mean I support cuts to our defence spending. I believe in a strong military, but one that is used carefully. Needless to say, we must continue to support our allies and remain vigilant against threats of all stripes.

However, I am aware that I lack significant experience, but I have been able to pick the right people as franchisees, and I believe I would pick the right people as advisers and cabinet members.

There are concerns about your ideology regarding whether it will protect the New Deal and Great Society programs some people depend upon. There are also whispers among Republican insiders that your platform is unelectable on the national level. How do you answer to these insinuations?

I am opposed to the New Deal and the Great Society. We're not living in the 1930s anymore. Now is the time to cut the taxes of the American people, return their money to them and champion our entrepreneurs. With the stable economy that can be created with a low business tax, more companies will open. People will be encouraged to take more risks.

In my view, the government needs to take a step back from regulating our businesses to within an inch of their lives because of some irresponsibility more than 4 decades ago. You know what tax cuts, a step back on regulation and encouragement of opportunity creates? A stable business environment. As I said before, lower taxes means people are inclined to take more risks, which in turn leads to innovation. Hell, no one imagined that we'd have commercial airlines one day, yet here we are. Where there are low barriers, low taxes and free trade, innovation and ideas grow.

Polling shows you performing quite strongly among many voters, not usually receptive to the type of campaign you're running. Could you elaborate on why you think this is?

-The American people have been betrayed by a broken system that puts itself first. They want an honest outsider in government who can make America great again. They want transparency and openness. As someone who has never held office, I am in a position to bring that forward.

Thank you very much, Mr. Kroc. We appreciate your time and consideration.

As we walk outside of the office, the unique Americanness of the place is reinforced when aides and secretaries, with their McDonald's identification, some with a bottle of Coke in their hand, stop and chip in with a greeting for their boss and CEO. All the way out here, in California, far away from the hallowed halls of Washington, one can help but wonder, is this guy, approachable yet refined, the kind of person America needs?

I will be taking requests for interviews with candidates.
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 08:08:31 PM »

Republican debate and events will go up tomorrow, Democratic debates on Tuesday!
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 10:54:32 PM »

Ray Kroc for President

November 2-4: Following his announcement speech in his home state of California, Kroc headed to Iowa to rally support from farmers there. As expected, he campaigned as populist conservative, decrying the corruption inherent in Washington DC, and promising to clean it up if elected. He woudl focus mainly on building a constituency of farmers and use his bread-and-butter appeals: his status as an outsider and as a populist conservative.

He would also hold a rally in Des Moines with Senator Dole

November 5-8: Kroc headed to Mississippi, once again campaigning among the white working class. His attempts to win them over include his full-throated backing of middle-class business ventures, declaring that new businesses would recieve tax breaks under his plan for a period of no less than five years.

November 9-10: These days were spent in New Hampshire, as Kroc continued to campaign on his status as the outsider in the race. He's never held political office, and hasn't been exposed to the corruption of Washington as a result. Why not use that?

Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 11:26:09 PM »

First Republican Primary Debate

Boston University, November 10th, 1975

Welcome, ladies and gentlemen, to the first Presidential debate in the Republican Party primary for President. We have the pleasure of having four candidates here tonight: Governor Ronald Reagan of California, Senator Edward Brooke of Massachusetts, businessman Ray Kroc of California, and CIA Director George Bush of Texas. Let's give them a warm round of applause.

Candidates, feel free to give your opening statements.

Now, onward to the questions!

General questions:

1) Candidates, what is your view of America's role in the world, and how will you take American foreign policy when you're President?

2) Candidates, the Republican Party has a lot of very important divisions that might not be easy to heal, as well as America herself. How will you unite a country so utterly disgusted and divided on politics?

Individual questions:

1) To Governor Reagan: You have many times cast yourself as the ideological successor of Senator Goldwater, and in fact have his endorsement. How can you assure that the ideology unelectable 12 years ago can lead Republicans to a needed victory this year?

2) To Senator Brooke: Your ideological heterodoxy with traditional Republican thought is more noticeable each day. How can you firmly state that you're the best candidate for a party drifting away from the line of thought you espouse?

3) To Mr. Kroc: How do you believe President Ford has handled the economy with measures like tax cuts and refusing to bail out struggling locales? How would you expand or change these policies?

4) To Director Bush: Many complaints have been levied against you that you're a milquetoast candidate, the epitome of the establishment some seek to repudiate. What sets you apart in this race and what makes you the best candidate to lead America in a field as colorful as this one?
ASPN
Dr_Novella

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2019, 07:41:33 PM »

Jerry Brown Campaign for Nov. 75

Nov.1st: Hosts rally in Keene, California along side César Chávez

Nov 3rd-10th:
Tour around Iowa, hosting Town Halls.

Nov.12th: Host a rally in Jackson, Mississippi.

Nov. 14th-16th:
Host fundraising events in New York, Vermont, and New Hampshire

Nov. 17th- 24th:
Travel across New Hampshire hosting more town halls with a theme on the economy.

Nov. 25th-30th:
Rest of month is spent on Thanksgiving and taking a break to rest and meet with campaign staff to debate their next move. He does not go to the Thanksgiving part hosted by Senator Brooke, but he does send a card thanking him for the offer.
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2019, 09:27:34 AM »

Edward Brooke Debate Answers

Closing Statements :
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2019, 09:31:48 AM »

After Debate, Senator Javits announces Endorsement : Brooke for President!

Javits campaigns for Senator Brooke in New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, and Washington in hopes to rally up support for the Massachusetts Senators in those States.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2019, 10:24:23 PM »

November 1: Muskie meets with union activists in Portsmouth, Manchester and Concord, New Hampshire.

November 2: Fundraiser in Concord, New Hampshire.

November 3: Travel to Iowa

November 4: Meet & Greet in Des Moines

November 5: Muskie meets with farmers in rural Iowa

November 6: Travel to Mississippi

November 7: Speak with civil rights leaders in Tupelo

November 8: Campaign rally in Jackson with Andrew Young and John Lewis at side

November 9-12: Visit rural, impoverished African-American communities with Lewis and Young.

November 13: Town hall in Benton Co., Mississippi

November 14: Travel to Iowa

November 15: Town hall in Iowa City, Iowa

November 16: Town hall in Ames, Iowa on student issues

November 17: Travel to Massachusetts

November 18: Rally in Boston with Governor Michael Dukakis endorsing

November 19: Drive to Burlington, VT for rally in Burlington

November 20: Travel to Washington for Senate business

November 21: Senate business

November 22: Travel to Chicago for rally

November 23: Fundraiser in Chicago

November 24: Travel to Florida

November 25: Town hall in Miami on foreign affairs.

November 26: Meet & greet in Orlando

November 27: Travel to Mississippi for fundraiser in Jackson.

November 28: Town hall in Tupelo.

November 29: Travel to New Hampshire.

November 30: Town hall in Franklin.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2019, 10:46:48 PM »

Ray Kroc debate answers

1) America should be tough, but humble. We need to continue our support of allies in ther fight for democracy. We're the only superpower that believes in freedom, and we need to project that throughout the world by containing communist influence to where it is right now. We must look to prevent its further expansion.

We must lead the world in standing for freedom, democracy and liberty. We support these unconditionally, and it is n support of these ideals that we must project our power and our abilities.

2) I understand why people feel betrayed. Our politicans are liars and thieves. They have forgotten what it's like to live among the people of this country, and inside their little bubble, what the people want doesn't matter. They have betrayed the trust of the people that elected them, and this cannot be forgiven!

I am an outsider. I have no interest in playing Washington games or the power plays of my opponents. My only interest is making America great again. My opponents are all politicians accustomed to political games that have no place in the highest office in the country.

3) Bailouts, bailouts, bailouts . . . we dole money out in this country like candy to children. The President is doing the right thing. When cities refuse to listen to their citizens by not cutting spending, not lowering taxes and not creating business oppoortunities, then the president has the right to refuse.

As far as his tax cuts go, what do you expect me to say? They're desperately needed in our economy. I would enact further cuts to return the money to the American people to give them the opportunity to start their own businesses. We can rebuild our small business sector with these cuts and more.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2019, 08:19:36 AM »

Ray Kroc for President

November 11-15: Kroc travelled through Massachusetts these days. Even though his conservatism may be toxic on a national scale, he believes that his outsider message will be able to win voters over. As such, he campaigned as an outsider heavily, focusing his message on the corruption inherent in Washington and promising to clean it up.

November 16-17: These days were spent in Florida with Senator Dole and his newest endorsement, House Minority Leader John Jacob Rhodes. Rhodes labelled Kroc as "A symbol of America's greatness." and called on those who desired honesty and integrity in government to back the Californian businessman.

November 18-21: Kroc travelled to Illinois, meeting with several small business owners and discussing his plans to lower business taxes to revitalise the market. He also held a town hall on foreign policy, once again showcasing strong support for NATO and his anti-communist record, as well as calling for a continuation of detente, stating: "I will never allow communism to spread its tentacles further, but we must avert nuclear war at all costs. it would mean the end of the world as we know it.

Novermber 22-30: Kroc spent the rest of the month strategising with his campaign heads and spent Thanksgiving with his wife.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2019, 08:30:50 AM »
« Edited: February 15, 2019, 05:28:50 PM by GoTfan »

Reagan responds to Mr. Kroc's statement

"Mr. Kroc while I can't speak for the other candidates here today I can certainly speak for myself on the issue you've brought up. There is no disagreement that Washington is corrupt nor is there disagreement that there is terrible power plays. However you're assertion that I am apart of these political games shows your ignorance during my time as Governor of California. You see while you served McDonalds I served the people of California a balanced budget along with a surplus through strong fiscal responsibility. We had even accomplished limiting government and supporting businesses in the state. Some of which probably includes your own Mr. Kroc. We had done all of this even with an opposition legislature. Washington games were the last of my concerns as Governor. In fact before I was even Governor I was an outsider. While it's true you're an outsider never having been a politician, I was never an insider when it comes to Washington games or politics."

"Governor, my respect for your ideals is never in doubt. Heck, I endorsed and campaigned for you repeatedly.

But goveronor, to deny that you never played politics is a flat-out lie. After all, you were the one who signed the Mulford Act into law, and now you claim to be a staunch supporter of the Second Amendment. When William Randolph Hearst, in an effort to recover his daughter from a group of left-wing terrorists, distributed food to people in need, you made a pretty insensitive joke about wishing for an outbreak botulism in the food.

Can you justify that sir?"
Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2019, 05:02:18 PM »

Senator Kennedy declares run for Democratic nomination

Fellow people thank you very much for coming I come from you to declare some that my late great brothers before hand and that is that I will declaring my run for the Democratic Nomination for President Of the United States!!   

After a half decade of 2 Republicans in the White House and a flat economy it is time for a leader that has been proven to help the economy grow and recover. We shall also fix the broken healthcare system in this country and make sure that all working Americans have good healthcare.

We need to be stop our addiction to foreign oil and become more energy independent. 

We need a new bold progressive vision for Amercia and I am that guy!
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2019, 08:32:24 PM »

"Mr. Kroc while I can't speak for the other candidates here today I can certainly speak for myself on the issue you've brought up. There is no disagreement that Washington is corrupt nor is there disagreement that there is terrible power plays. However you're assertion that I am apart of these political games shows your ignorance during my time as Governor of California. You see while you served McDonalds I served the people of California a balanced budget along with a surplus through strong fiscal responsibility. We had even accomplished limiting government and supporting businesses in the state. Some of which probably includes your own Mr. Kroc. We had done all of this even with an opposition legislature. Washington games were the last of my concerns as Governor. In fact before I was even Governor I was an outsider. While it's true you're an outsider never having been a politician, I was never an insider when it comes to Washington games or politics."

"Governor, my respect for your ideals is never in doubt. Heck, I endorsed and campaigned for you repeatedly.

But goveronor, to deny that you never played politics is a flat-out lie. After all, you were the one who signed the Mulford Act into law, and now you claim to be a staunch supporter of the Second Amendment. When William Randolph Hearst, in an effort to recover his daughter from a group of left-wing terrorists, distributed food to people in need, you made a pretty insensitive joke about wishing for an outbreak botulism in the food.

”I am afraid your ignorance is showing once more Mr. Kroc. It is true that I am certainly a staunch second amendment supporter and it is also true that I did sign the Mulford act into law. However this was during the time of an increasing presence from the radical black panther group in California and there was of course other factors. Of course my opinions on the 2nd amendment have evolved but so has the NRA organization who also showed support. I suppose you’re willing to call that entire organization and it’s members as players of politics right?”

“In regards to the Hearst kidnapping I am confident that I did more for the Hearst family than you ever did as the “founder” of McDonald’s. In fact during the situation I had worked closely with Patricia Hearst’s mother by reappointing her to the UC board of regents who had also supported my previous efforts to control the riots during the 60’s. The group that held Patricia was a radical violent group known as the symbionese liberation army who were responsible for bank robberies, murders, and other acts of violence. Why do you think I was against complying with their terms? Hence the joke which is nothing more than that.”

“With all that being said since you’re very interested about the past why don’t we talk about your own?”

“I know your pride lies within your business and McDonalds but unfortunately it was never even a restaurant you built by yourself. In fact you simply bought it off the original founders being the McDonald’s brothers and simply touted yourself as the founder. How can you possibly help small business owners and business in general when the one you own was bought. You never built a restaurant or a business Mr. Kroc. You simply bought one that was already made.”

“Can you justify that sir?”

"Governor, you avoided the question. You made a joke about a deadly disease infecting those in need, and what's more, when dealing with student protectors, you said that if a bloodbath was necessary to disperse them, then it should be done.

But yes, I can. The McDonald brothers and I are on good terms. Yes, they founded the restaurant, but I founded the chain and the McDonald's Corporation.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2019, 09:00:10 PM »

”I am afraid your ignorance is showing once more Mr. Kroc. It is true that I am certainly a staunch second amendment supporter and it is also true that I did sign the Mulford act into law. However this was during the time of an increasing presence from the radical black panther group in California and there was of course other factors. Of course my opinions on the 2nd amendment have evolved but so has the NRA organization who also showed support. I suppose you’re willing to call that entire organization and it’s members as players of politics right?”

“In regards to the Hearst kidnapping I am confident that I did more for the Hearst family than you ever did as the “founder” of McDonald’s. In fact during the situation I had worked closely with Patricia Hearst’s mother by reappointing her to the UC board of regents who had also supported my previous efforts to control the riots during the 60’s. The group that held Patricia was a radical violent group known as the symbionese liberation army who were responsible for bank robberies, murders, and other acts of violence. Why do you think I was against complying with their terms? Hence the joke which is nothing more than that.”

“With all that being said since you’re very interested about the past why don’t we talk about your own?”

“I know your pride lies within your business and McDonalds but unfortunately it was never even a restaurant you built by yourself. In fact you simply bought it off the original founders being the McDonald’s brothers and simply touted yourself as the founder. How can you possibly help small business owners and business in general when the one you own was bought. You never built a restaurant or a business Mr. Kroc. You simply bought one that was already made.”

“Can you justify that sir?”

"Governor, you avoided the question. You made a joke about a deadly disease infecting those in need, and what's more, when dealing with student protectors, you said that if a bloodbath was necessary to disperse them, then it should be done.

But yes, I can. The McDonald brothers and I are on good terms. Yes, they founded the restaurant, but I founded the chain and the McDonald's Corporation.

“Mr. Kroc I had never avoided anything. I said it was a joke and nothing more. You yourself have even called it a joke and if the fact that we were dealing with a radical violent group wasn’t enough justification I am not sure what is. Would you rather I take that group seriously and have sympathized with them? But you avoided the question as to how you can represent and help small business owners and business in general when the one you own was bought.”

You k ow why I support the small businesses of this country?

My franchisees are all from the middle class of this country. They will testify to the fact that I grant a high degree of autonomy within their operations.

And I think we can agree that joking about a deadly disease infecting the poor and calling for a massacre of protesters is I truly terrible judgement. And hey, if your friend Senator Goldwater wants to call me an embarrassment, I'm certain I can get by just fine without the backing of a man who was endorsed by the Ku Klux Klan and lost in a landslide 12 years ago.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2019, 08:46:31 AM »

George Wallace will campaign in Mississippi on a platform on appealing to all races.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2019, 05:13:08 PM »

1) Candidates, what is your view of America's role in the world, and how will you take American foreign policy when you're President?

Well my view of  America's role in the world is quite simple, we are the strongest super power of our world and we should embrace that fact and not run away from it. I am the only candidate here tonight who has a relationship built with the leaders of the world, a relationship I have built as Head of the Liaison office in China, as the Ambassador to the United Nations, and as Director of the CIA I will head the United States in a direction of tough, but humble. We know we're the best, we know we're the toughest, but we don't need to go around intervening in the affairs of nations on the other side of the globe too often. We will stop the spread of Communism, and we will free those who want to be free, in Europe and Asia from Communism.

2) Candidates, the Republican Party has a lot of very important divisions that might not be easy to heal, as well as America herself. How will you unite a country so utterly disgusted and divided on politics?

I am a uniter, I am an outsider, I am not a career congressman, or someone with so little experience others are questioning why they're here. I fought in World War 2 for our nation, Millions of Americans served our nation in World War 2, not all of them were fighting in the war, but all Americans served. We will bring America back to the days where we were a national identity, not one of Democrats vs. Republicans, we were all Americans. We are all still just Americans. In the past we have had struggles, now we have a whole new struggle, but as Americans we have always united and fought through it. Washington united our nation to fight off the British and secure our Independence, Lincoln united our countries and fought against Slavery. I will fight against corruption in our government, and communism within our nation and across the world.

3.) Many complaints have been levied against you that you're a milquetoast candidate, the epitome of the establishment some seek to repudiate. What sets you apart in this race and what makes you the best candidate to lead America in a field as colorful as this one?

Im the only candidate in this field with experience, I served in World War 2, served as Chief Liaison to China, Ambassador to the United Nations, Director of the CIA, and other positions. Some of the other candidates here may call me a member of the establishment, but I call myself experienced. If you'd like to see a President with no experience in leading an executive branch of government, or little experience then vote for one of my opponents. A vote for George Bush is for lower taxes, and a strong and safe nation, plain and simple. 
NyIndy

Political Matrix
E: 0.25, S: -3.15

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2019, 05:58:18 PM »

Pat Schroeder Campaign Schedule
November 1 - 5th:
Pat travels around Iowa, giving speeches on her support for Civil and Women's rights along with plans to win the general election by bringing America together.
November 8th - 15th:
The campaign moves to New Hampshire, touring the state and stopping over at the New Hampshire Public Radio to give an interview.
November 17th - 21st:
Pat crosses the border into Vermont to continue campaigning. She again touts her campaigns skills on unity and equality.
November 25th to 30th: Campaigning in Illinois, particularly in the north of the state around Chicago.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2019, 07:19:49 PM »

George Bush for President 76'
"Plain and Simple Conservative"

November 2 Announce run for Presidency in Dallas, touting experience with Foreign Policy in this time of great struggle, alongside Minority Leader Scott.
November 4 Meet with top Republicans in Washington D.C. before heading to Iowa.

November 5 Accept President Gerald Ford's endorsement in Iowa prior to the Republican Caucus.
President Ford endorsement

November 6 Appear at a joint rally in Iowa City with President Ford and Minority Leader Hugh Scott. Both commenting on Director Bushes long history of service.

November 8 The beginning of Director Bush's "Mixin' with Mississippi" which will be a week long tour of the state of Mississippi he begins with a speech and meet and greet in Jackson, and then visits a grocery store with Barbara.

November 9 Director Bush reads a the Cat in the Hat to a group of Kindergarten students at Baker Elementary School. He later goes to the city hall of Brandon to speak with local lawmakers and make a speech on the steps of City Hall about the division of America and the need for unity in this trying time for American foreign policy.

November 10 The "Mixin' with Mississippi" tour continues across the state with Director Bush talking to black residents, along with white residents in stops at two churches in Simpson county. He meets with leaders of the local Epispicoal church, on the religious values this nations leaders should uphold.
November 12 After a day of light campaigning, Director Bush continues with his stump schedule across the state including another trip to a city hall this time in the coastal region. He is attempting to build an image across the state with the idea of, I am not running to be the Republican candidate, but instead the American candidate in this time of great uncertainty we need a uniting leader. 

November 15 The conclusion of the "Mixin' with Mississippi" tour with a large rally, including President Ford and Minority Leader Scott in the state Capital of Jackson. Touting his foreign policy experience, he meanders into the crowd to shake hands with President Ford as many of those who wanted to attend were kept outside because of lack of space.

November 17 After a day of rest, Director Bush heads to Iowa for some heavy campaigning as he first meets with Robert Ray along with the leader of both parties in the Iowa legislature. He then attends a campaign meet and greet as well as makes an appearence on the Late Show with Johnny Carson, and at a local meeting of local Republicans.

November 18 A speech at the Iowa corn growers expo touting the Directors support for farmers and his pledge to continue the subsidies they rely on. A fundraiser with top Iowa Donors in Des Moines, as well as an education policy speech at a school in Des Moines being renamed after the late MLK.

November 19 He makes it a top priority in the two early states of Iowa and New Hampshire to secure a well tuned and skilled field of grassroots activists, he believes a crucial part of the campaign's GOTV strategy will be to mobilize Suburban and Urban voters in Des Moines, Ames, Davenport, and their surrounding suburbs. He meets with the Chairman of 4 county Republican parties hoping to gain their support in the upcoming primary, as well as many leaders on both sides of the aisle.

November 20 Director Bush gives a speech on foreign policy at a Sioux City VFW hall, he attends a fundraising event later to raise money for the Republican party while accepting personal donations for his campaign.

November 21 Director Bush touts his foreign policy credentials in a trip over to the neighboring state of Illinois where he campaigns with Senator Scott and President Ford in Chicago. He speaks about civil rights in an area with a majority African American population. He then attends a meeting of the Illinois GOP to discuss it's way forward in Illinois and how they will combat a growing Democratic trend in Chicago and Cook County.
November 22-25 Director Bush finishes the lead up to Thanksgiving by making short stops in Pennsylvania where he rallys with Senator Scott and President Ford in Pittsburgh, Then in Ohio where he rallies with President Ford and Senator Scott in Canton, and on the 24th he makes 2 appearances with the first being in Elkhart, Indiana where he appears with Senator Scott and President Ford, with the final being in Grand Rapids where he will be spending Thanksgiving with President Ford. 

Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2019, 12:56:05 PM »

Frank Church Campaign Schedule-November 2 to November 25

November 2-4: Establishment of campaign headquarters in Boise, ID and hiring of major staff

November 5: Rally and town hall in Seattle, WA

November 6: Town halls in Olympia and Spokane.

November 7: Rallies in Sacramento and Bakersfield, CA

November 8: Meeting with liberal activists in San Francisco to gain their support. Town hall at Stanford University, Senator Church's alma mater, follows the meeting

Excerpt from Church's remarks: "The work that you have been doing these law few years has been nothing short of incredible. But there's still work to be done and I'm going to need your help to make sure that it gets done."

November 9: Town halls in Los Angeles and San Diego

November 10: Rally in Des Moines, IA, followed by a fundraiser

November 11: Meeting with farmers in IA, followed by town halls in Iowa City and Cedar Rapids

November 12-13: Meeting with small business owners across IA

November 14: Rally and fundraiser in Chicago, IL

November 15: Rally and fundraiser in Peoria

November 16-18: Return to Washington, D.C. for Senatorial duties

November 19: Rally in Boston, MA with Governor Carey. Speech follows

Excerpt from Church's speech: "The abuses of power we witnessed during the Nixon administration are simply unimaginable. For the President to abuse his power the way he did should never have happened and it should never happen again. I have always called out abuses of power and injustice when I've seen it, and I promise you and the American people that as your President, I will not hesitate to call out corruption and injustice wherever it may be."

November 20: Town halls in Boston and Springfield, MA

November 21: Town halls in Burlington, VT, and Manchester, NH

November 22: Rallies in Manchester and Concord with Governor Carey

November 23: Rallies in Boston, MA and New York City, NY, with a fundraiser following the New York rally. Governor Carey attends both rallies and the fundraiser.

November 24: Rally in Chicago, IL and town hall in Springfield, IL

November 25: Town halls in Seattle, Spokane, Tacoma, and Olympia, WA
Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2019, 12:12:29 PM »

What Kennedy did in November part 1
Ted Kennedy kicked off his campaign in Massachusetts which we outlined his progressive policy of green energy and criminal justice reform like legalization of marijuana and the decriminalized of it and other drugs.

He went over to New Hampshire to talk about his tax plan which would raise taxes on the super rich while he could cut taxes for the working and middle class
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2019, 07:26:51 PM »
« Edited: February 22, 2019, 09:49:10 PM by Governor Peanut »

Turn II: November 26-December 16, 1975

A little into the campaign, the coalitions start forming, the questions start to be answered, and star candidates make impassioned appeals to the American people. However, the climate is every bit as uncertain as it started off being.

On the news:

• Economic analysts claim that an economic recovery is on the horizon, and that, after  tumultuous time, the economy should be doing better, in part due to stimulus created by President Ford's tax cuts.
  • Former Rhode Island Governor and Secretary of the Navy John Chafee makes waves by claiming "there is...no sort of Soviet domination in Central and Eastern Europe."
  • General election polling forecasts an easy victory for the Democratic candidate in most scenarios.

This week's interview with Senator Brooke:

The reception into Senator Brooke's office is noticeably different than that in other Senate offices. His smiling countenance and warm reception give his quite well-cared-for office a warm feel mixed with some Massachusetts touch. Just looking at him, one can hardly start thinking something which is quite important when talking about Brooke: "This man could make history." We sit down among the pictures of his family and the famous leaders of yore one assumes are his role models and start the interview.

1) Hello, Senator. It's a pleasure to be here with you. Do you have any opening thoughts before we begin?

I would like to begin by thanking you for allowing me to be here and for allowing me to have this interview. Only 10 years ago, I was the first Popularly African American Senator in United States History and now here I am, the Second African American to be running for the Nomination of a major party, after Shirley Chisholm, of course. Me being a possible front-runner for the Republican Nomination despite my Skin color shows how far America has come in the last decade and how much more we can progress for the future, to continue on this country’s course for equality and greatness for all.

2) Senator, you are among the first African-Americans to seek a party's presidential nomination. Could you elaborate upon the historic significance of that fact, and whether you believe you are in any way hindered by your skin color?

As I said earlier, it shows how far America has progressed. Only 10 years ago, the idea of someone like myself running for the Nomination of a major party would be laughed at and I would be forced to drop out due to all the threats against myself and my family. Now, here I am, running and while I do face occasional threats from the crazies and racists, they’re not as much as they would’ve been before and I have a rather large base of support, of which I am most thankful for.

On my Skin Color, I don’t believe it is a hindrance, nor do I believe it is a strength. It’s just a characteristic of myself and nothing more. Martin Luther King once said that he hoped that his children and all African Americans will one day not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character. I’m running on my character, not because I’m African American. To me, it doesn’t matter if you’re black or white, Asian or Hispanic, Native American or Pacific Islander, we are all Americans. In America, your ethnicity and the color of your skin, something not of your choice, shouldn’t be cause for judgement and thankfully it no longer isn’t. Instead, it’s your character that matters in this country, as that is your choice and you should use it to your advantage to do as much good as possible.

To be brief and simple with my answer, I would like for all those who are undecided and all who are considering about supporting me to not judge me or support me on the color of my skin, but judge or support me on the issues and the content of my character.

3) Polls show you nearly being the Republican frontrunner against a more renown and more ideologically-driven opponent. What do you think are the reasons for you being at this great position this early?

It really shows that many Republicans realize all the problems of Reagan’s ideas and despite him being very popular amongst the conservatives, it is good to know that the Nation isn’t Conservative, it is Moderate. Reagan believes this country is more Conservative than it really is and most Republicans know that. His ideas would lead to horrible things for our country as his ideas would eventually lead to the gap between the rich and the poor getting wider and wider. That isn’t America. Now, no disrespect to Reagan as a person, it’s just his ideology that I disagree with.

America wants something new, but not new like his conservatism, something new that will bring real change for this country. I may be a Republican, but I am offering that change and I am proud of that. I hope this continues in the future and I would love to continue campaigning against Reagan so we can keep on contrasting our ideas so America can decide who to support.

4) What is your view on the more conservative ideological flanks of your party which rally against basically everything you stand for, from racial issues, to economic ones, to foreign policy? How will you represent them as the GOP nominee?

Well, I disagree with them ideologically. I believe they are misguided in their ways, personally, but I understand why they have these feelings and thoughts. If I was Nominated by the Party, I would meet with several Conservative leaders and discuss ideas between ourselves and, if it’s needed, I would consider a Conservative as a possible Running Mate and give some minor concessions for their support, but not much. I respect their opinions, however, and would like for some good natured debate about them.

5) What has been the guiding principle  or value in your campaign, and how has it manifested in your actions as a presidential candidate?

My guiding principle and value in this campaign will be a judge of my character. I rather people judge me on that than anything else because we need a true man of character, a shining example is what America is and who America personifies, to bring honor, dignity, and respect to the White House once more and bring America out of the slump its been in for the past few years into the shining example that all nations should strive to be.

Thank you for having me for this interview.

As we close the interview and one walks out of the Senate building, the warm reception and clear friendship between Senator Brooke and his colleagues is noted (we are warmly greeted, for example, by Senator Thurmond of South Carolina).  It is clear that Senator Brooke is as well-liked as he is admired.

New Polling:

First week of December 1975-National Republican Polling:

Governor Ronald Reagan: 23%
Director George Bush: 22%
Senator Edward Brooke: 21%
Businessman Ray Kroc: 21%
Undecideds: 13%

The Republican primary is a dead heat. All 4 candidates have campaigned far and wide, and the ones that were lagging behind have picked up steam recently.

First week of December 1975-National Democratic Polling:
Senator Ted Kennedy: 16%
Senator Edward Muskie: 13%
Congresswoman Pat Schroeder: 12%
Governor Jerry Brown: 11%
Senator Frank Church: 10%
Governor George Wallace: 8%
Senator Lloyd Bentsen: 8%
Senator Mike Gravel: 6%
Governor Jimmy Carter: 4%
Undecideds: 12%

The Democratic primary is shaken up by the entrance of Senator Kennedy into the race, and the strengthening of Congresswoman Schroeder in history-making circumstances.

Running list of endorsements:

Republicans:

Governor Ronald Reagan: (has 0.6 credits left):

Senator Paul Laxalt
Senator Barry Goldwater
Senator Jesse Helms
Congressman John Ashbrook

Senator Edward Brooke (has 0.2 credits left):

Senator Howard Baker
Senator Jacob Javits
Governor Meldrim Thomson
Congressman Jim Jeffords

Businessman Ray Kroc (has 4.2 credits left):

Senator Bob Dole
Congressman Jack Kemp
House Minority Leader John Jacob Rhodes

Director George Bush (has 0 credits left):

Senator Hugh Scott
President Gerald Ford
Actor John Wayne
Congressman Chuck Grassley
Congressman James Colgate

Democrats:

Senator Edmund Muskie (has 2.6 credits left):

Civil rights leader John Lewis
Congressman Andrew Young
Congressman Don Riegle

Governor Jerry Brown (has 4.0 credits left):

Civil rights and labor leader Cesar Chavez
Congressman Tom Harkin

Senator Lloyd Bentsen (has 1.6 credits left):

Senator Lawton Chiles
Ms. Coretta Scott King
Congressman Jack Hightower

Senator Frank Church (has 3.1 credits left):

Governor Hugh Carey

All other candidates currently have no endorsements.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies