Congress has reached a deal to avoid shutdown (far right already mad)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:12:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Congress has reached a deal to avoid shutdown (far right already mad)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Congress has reached a deal to avoid shutdown (far right already mad)  (Read 3550 times)
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2019, 08:35:41 PM »

Do Democrats actually get anything out of this?

Trump wants 5.7 Billion, this deal is just 1.375 Billion - roughly the same number Democrats put forth in December. As far as the wall goes, the GOP has caved all the way to the Democrats offer back in December. I understand some on the left believe that number should be $0, but Democratic Negotiators never proposed that and that was never going to happen.

The Republican base doesn't even believe the "nonessential" non-defense parts of government should exist. That's why the Republican House Majority, even when it was "proud" to be passing 7, 8, 9 appropriations bills under regular order each year, frequently relied on Democrats to defeat amendments proposed by the likes of Rep. Gosar and Rep. Blackburn, and some final passage votes were really tight, like this one: http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2015/roll329.xml . The Republican position would outright abolish parts of some departments. Part of what the Democrats are being conceded here is indeed a functioning government, with 12 full appropriations bills, something the Republican base does not believe should be the case.

Democrats also got a 17% funding reduction in terms of detention beds and additional spending at the ports of entry (where Dems believe most of the problem is).

And as one Democratic Negotiator has already said, the fact that Hannity and the like are panning it shows that it's a good deal.

I'm proud to support it.

Seems like feeding Trump's obsession with immigration security while Democrats get crumbs in return. They don't have to give him anything. At the very least, they should get funding for some of their priorities that comes close to matching what is being spent on fences and other stuff.

Otherwise it just seems like Democrats giving Trump something for throwing a massively expensive and disruptive tantrum. I wonder how long it takes before he pulls this again? And yeah, you can argue Republicans have somewhat more leverage, but consider that if House Democrats want, they can sink this entire deal and any funding indefinitely. That's a lot of leverage.

Actually, I'd argue that Dems and Trump have equal leverage. You aren't going to get 2/3 in both houses, so Trump's veto will never get overridden. And Pelosi can effectively block votes. So both sides have a tool they can use to prevent passage, and both must surrender it for a deal to be done.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2019, 08:35:50 PM »

Say what you will about Trump, but border security and illegal immigration are issues that will ultimately require a final solution.

Bad wording there, dude.

Did you not read the rest of my post? Are you seriously trying to imply that I am calling for another Holocaust?

Say what you will about Trump, but border security and illegal immigration are issues that will ultimately require a final solution. Such a final solution can only come through a more comprehensive immigration reform bill. While this deal doesn't include all that is necessary, it might be a first step towards something larger. And Democrats are not conceding too much, as this is the deal that he was offered before the shutdown, more or less.

Then it should be a separate debate that didn't come about because of the president whining and creating the longest govt shutdown in history. My position is that he should get nothing due to the way he went about this, but if Democrats are going to cave, they should at least demand equal funding for their priorities or Republicans can go get bent.

Take what you can now, and fight for more in the future. This deal does help to address a long pressing and urgent problem on the border. My preferred solution would be for a grand compromise that involves DACA amnesty paired with a massive increase in border security funding. That would throw a bone to both parties and would be a more comprehensive deal.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2019, 08:40:34 PM »

Trump only got 55 miles (3% of the entire southern border). I'm fine with this.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2019, 08:42:08 PM »

Take what you can now, and fight for more in the future. This deal does help to address a long pressing and urgent problem on the border. My preferred solution would be for a grand compromise that involves DACA amnesty paired with a massive increase in border security funding. That would throw a bone to both parties and would be a more comprehensive deal.

Don't you see? It's never going to be enough. There is no border crisis. Most undocumented immigrants get here via air and sea, not border jumping. Yet all I hear from Trump is total gaslighting about how there are massive hordes flowing across the border and the ONLY thing that will stop it is a giant wall. Are you kidding me? We're supposed to keep pouring billions into an imaginary problem just to placate a bunch of idiots and a president who is playing his base for votes? It'll never be enough. Even if the entire wall was built, Trump/other Republicans would just invent some new immigration-related crisis.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2019, 08:43:43 PM »

Say what you will about Trump, but border security and illegal immigration are issues that will ultimately require a final solution.

Bad wording there, dude.

Did you not read the rest of my post? Are you seriously trying to imply that I am calling for another Holocaust?

Of course I'm not trying to imply that. All I said was that it was bad wording, especially in a political moment where there are lots of people who do see Republican border and immigration policy as proto-fascist.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2019, 08:54:52 PM »

Bad wording there, dude.

Of course I'm not trying to imply that. All I said was that it was bad wording, especially in a political moment where there are lots of people who do see Republican border and immigration policy as proto-fascist.

But why so? We are a nation of laws, and those laws must be enforced. I am a strong advocate for legal immigration, but we cannot tolerate illegal immigration, not in its present forms.

Don't you see? It's never going to be enough. There is no border crisis. Most undocumented immigrants get here via air and sea, not border jumping. Yet all I hear from Trump is total gaslighting about how there are massive hordes flowing across the border and the ONLY thing that will stop it is a giant wall. Are you kidding me? We're supposed to keep pouring billions into an imaginary problem just to placate a bunch of idiots and a president who is playing his base for votes? It'll never be enough. Even if the entire wall was built, Trump/other Republicans would just invent some new immigration-related crisis.

Our work visa programs need to be reformed as well, particularly because of the adverse effects that they have had on American labor and American workers. But enhancing the defenses on our southern border is only part of the solution. Any final compromise that is made has to include comprehensive provisions to address all of these issues.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2019, 08:57:47 PM »

Bad wording there, dude.

But why so? We are a nation of laws, and those laws must be enforced. I am a strong advocate for legal immigration, but we cannot tolerate illegal immigration, not in its present forms.

Our work visa programs need to be reformed as well, particularly because of the adverse effects that they have had on American labor and American workers. But enhancing the defenses on our southern border is only part of the solution. Any final compromise that is made has to include comprehensive provisions to address all of these issues.
For wages, the problem isn’t legal or illegal immigrants, but most firms inability to raise wages comfortably with inflation increases unless forced by the government. Blame the economic system, not the average labourers.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2019, 09:05:19 PM »

Bad wording there, dude.

It's bad wording because the phrase "final solution" in the context of citizenship- and population transfer-related issues reminds one of the Holocaust. It's bad wording because the wording is bad. I really don't know how else to break it down.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2019, 09:23:22 PM »

Bad wording there, dude.

It's bad wording because the phrase "final solution" in the context of citizenship- and population transfer-related issues reminds one of the Holocaust. It's bad wording because the wording is bad. I really don't know how else to break it down.

I understand. I probably should have used another phrase to describe it. I was referring to a "grand compromise" which could be made over illegal immigration.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2019, 01:30:10 PM »

Say what you will about Trump, but border security and illegal immigration are issues that will ultimately require a final solution. Such a final solution can only come through a more comprehensive immigration reform bill.

There's really no way that this is an innocent mistake, is there? Absolutely contemptible person.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2019, 02:41:45 PM »

Say what you will about Trump, but border security and illegal immigration are issues that will ultimately require a final solution. Such a final solution can only come through a more comprehensive immigration reform bill.

There's really no way that this is an innocent mistake, is there? Absolutely contemptible person.

I've already acknowledged that this should have been said differently. And I'm not the only one saying this. This morning's broadcast of CBS This Morning, for example, had some of the anchors speculating about what comes next with immigration reform.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2019, 03:34:02 PM »

For whatever it's worth, when I first read it I thought it was clear from the full context what you were talking about and the wording was inadvertent. :shrugs:
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2019, 06:22:07 PM »

Karpatsky
Ukraine

« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2019, 06:29:56 PM »

What is the rationale to reject this?
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2019, 06:36:25 PM »

See video on lawmaker's threat to Trump over wall money.
Rep. John Garamendi (D-CA) says if President Trump takes money from the Coast Guard to build his border wall he will "pay a heavy price."

Click here for video: https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2019/02/13/john-garamendi-trump-wall-money-coast-guard-nr-vpx.cnn/video/playlists/this-week-in-politics/
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2019, 08:24:59 PM »

What is the rationale to reject this?

The usual philosophy is that contractors should only get paid for time worked. For example, when the President sometimes gives federal employees the day before Christmas off, or random days like H.W.'s funeral, contractors either have to work or take leave.

I'm assuming this is regarding contractors who weren't allowed to work during the shutdown. If they were deemed essential and kept working, they have to be paid under the law.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2019, 08:44:12 PM »

But he’s says bigoted and reactionary things so he’s “blue collar”
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2019, 08:48:22 PM »

Trump doesn't have to build a wall. His supporters will pretend to be pissed and on the fence for 2020. Then a couple weeks before the 20202 election...theyll seek out some phony event, blow it out of significance, and claim that their going to "hold their noses," and vote for Trump because the left has "gone too far left this time."
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2019, 08:57:17 PM »

Trump doesn't have to build a wall. His supporters will pretend to be pissed and on the fence for 2020. Then a couple weeks before the 20202 election...theyll seek out some phony event, blow it out of significance, and claim that their going to "hold their noses," and vote for Trump because the left has "gone too far left this time."

I would call you a psychic, but anyone with a brain knows that this is going to happen.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2019, 10:24:43 PM »

Bad wording there, dude.

Nothing like final solutions in the context of a debate about rounding up tens of thousands of people of a certain ethnic group. Definitely no horrifying precedent for that!
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2019, 12:51:58 AM »

Text of the Deal: https://docs.house.gov/billsthisweek/20190211/CRPT-116hrpt9-u1.pdf

Note for anyone trying to read this: There is a Technical Error in the Table of Contents - Division H does not actually exist.

The deal passed the conference 15-2, with Leahy and Graves opposed.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies