Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2019, 03:18:02 am
News: 2020 Presidential Predictions (General) are now active.

Atlas Forum
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: Gustaf, Hash, Roy Rogers McFreely)
  Spanish elections and politics II (General Elections on November 10) (search mode)
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Spanish elections and politics II (General Elections on November 10)  (Read 44919 times)
urutzizu
Germany

« on: April 26, 2019, 12:35:13 pm »

I'm crossing fingers and preparing myself

Same. Going to shul now, on this special occasion I will be praying for Vox and the right 🙏🏻

Fernando Paz, who leads the VOX list in Albacete, who questioned the Holocaust and called the Nuremberg Trials a Farce, will be getting your special prayers undoubtably?

https://www.larazon.es/espana/los-judios-preocupados-por-las-declaraciones-del-candidato-de-vox-por-albacete-IE22510495
urutzizu
Germany

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 08:13:23 am »

Where is PACMA's best shot of winning a seat? Madrid presumably?

Also, everyone assuming that VOX will surge by 3 points over all the polling... remember that everyone expected the same thing in France, and Sweden, and in both cases neither happens. VOX having virtually no electoral history or "last time voters" makes them harder to poll, but it doesn't necessarily mean that the polls are massively underestimating them.

The issue about Populist parties like VOX, RN, Lega, AFD and SD is that they do not have any sort of loyal voter base, like PP and PSOE. Like Podemos and Cs they came out of nowhere, and could disappear just as quickly, as their voters find another party to channel their hatred/disgust of the establishment, corruption, immigrants, catalans... I think they could depending on the circumstances either do way better than polls expect (like Brexit, Finns, AFD, Salvini) or way worse like (FN and SD). I suspect the former, but both is equally possible.  
urutzizu
Germany

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2019, 03:25:36 pm »

One reason why I am glad where I live uses FTFP since for all its flaws, things like this happen far less often.

Pls, just dont. We get it, you like FPTP, but going to European threads with little actual knowledge of the political situation, and saying that FPTP would be better and we would not have all this mess, it is really not very helpful. You are not the only guy doing it, computer89 was doing it on the Israel thread too, for example. The rest of your post was not an issue for me, but this, this is really beating a dead horse.

Also, like Canada has had a ton of minority Governments too, despite FPTP.
urutzizu
Germany

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2019, 03:13:44 pm »

From an outsiders perspective this all seems so superficial. I would have totally understood if the reason for the failure was a substantial policy difference (like in Israel), say on Catalonia or budget deficits. But the positions of the parties are so now close to each other, they agreed on a policy paper, they agreed on Iglesias to go out, they agreed on Podemos ministers in Governement...and now they are forcing the Country to new elections (and risking one of the few left-wing governments in Europe) because of squabbling over the exact allocation of ministries? Such things are usually (in Germany at least) the easiest thing to be settled. If people like Casado/Rivera say "well the left are too incompetent to even form a government, how are they going to keep the country together?", it will be hard to argue against that...  This is entirely on Sanchez (especially) and Podemos and they are putting the battle for the hegemony over the left ahead of the good of the country and ahead of progressive goals.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length
Logout

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies