Wisconsin GOP Snowflakes Remove Kapernick from BHM
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:20:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Wisconsin GOP Snowflakes Remove Kapernick from BHM
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Wisconsin GOP Snowflakes Remove Kapernick from BHM  (Read 1397 times)
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2019, 09:01:55 AM »

Kaepernick kneeling has nothing to do with veterans or the armed forces. That was one of the dumbest misdirections that the right invented, all so they could talk about everything and anything except police brutality.

Military families have decided that it, indeed, does.

If Eskimos decide that it's anti-Eskimo, does that make it so?

Different military families have decided that Republicans are opportunistically exploiting them as a weapon to hurt Kaepernick and BLM and win votes, and they're pretty sick of it. Do you listen to them?
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2019, 10:06:31 AM »

The Veteran And NFL Player Who Advised Kaepernick To Take A Knee

Veterans take a knee in support of national anthem protests

An open letter from American military veterans in support of Colin Kaepernick

How do veterans feel about kneeling for the national anthem?

Looks like those willing to speak out are totally okay with it.

In my own family, my dad (Vietnam era) is in favor of the kneeling. My stepdad (also Vietnam era) is against it. A high school friend (so current era) is absolutely for kneeling and will start arguing with anyone about it because she says she specifically served to preserve the rights of others. Almost everyone that I know who is thinks it is disrespectful is not a veteran, and other veterans that I know have no issue with it whatsoever. So, yeah, let's stop pretending this is because it's "disrespectful."

As for focusing on Wisconsin, I liked what the State Senator Lena Taylor had to say on this issue:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
https://www.wpr.org/senate-republicans-vote-keep-colin-kaepernicks-name-black-history-month-resolution

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2019, 11:30:29 AM »

Kaepernick kneeling has nothing to do with veterans or the armed forces. That was one of the dumbest misdirections that the right invented, all so they could talk about everything and anything except police brutality.

Military families have decided that it, indeed, does.

If Eskimos decide that it's anti-Eskimo, does that make it so?

Different military families have decided that Republicans are opportunistically exploiting them as a weapon to hurt Kaepernick and BLM and win votes, and they're pretty sick of it. Do you listen to them?

It's not even that black and white, so to speak. It's like saying Northshore Eskimos decide something is Auntie Eskimo when West slope Eskimos say it's not anti Eskimo
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2019, 02:59:12 PM »

NFL just settled with Kaepernick and Eric Reid. In Kaeps case it was probably a very large settlement. The NFL was ordered to turn over all cellphone records, texts, and emails related to these cases. So I guess they decided to "protect the shield" and instead pay the money.

Hopefully Kaepernick will be able to get an honest opportunity and a fair chance to play again.

Insomnian
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -3.10, S: -1.40

« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2019, 03:00:17 PM »

I generally think it's tacky to celebrate anyone who's still alive like that. That includes stuff named after still-living Presidents.

US Presidents should have an aide to follow them around and whisper "momento mori" in their ears.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2019, 03:43:03 PM »

Military families have decided that it, indeed, does.  You people here, who have probably never stood a post or heard a shot in anger, aren't going to be the ones deciding this.

I am not a veteran, but my younger adult son is, having served a tour of duty in Afghanistan.  I can assure you that he, and many military families, view Kapernick as disrespecting them.  That's more his issue than mine, but I don't see his viewpoint as wrong.  And for you to say, "That has nothing to do with veterans . . ." is to dismiss THEIR viewpoints totally.

Kapernick's kneeling hardened the hearts of many people who may well have come to agree with him on the social issues he cares about.  I agree that Kapernick's issues have merit.  I don't agree that Kapernick is some kind of patriot; his motivation is more identity politics than real justice.  I do care very much about criminal justice reform, but I would prefer to discuss the issue with serious people who might be able to make a coherent argument and not people who have struck me as flat-out unpatriotic and anti-American.  I can agree with a decent amount of the issues Kapernick raises, but I'm not going to celebrate his mindset, and that comes with his presentation.

I'll see your anecdotal evidence and counter with my own that many military personnel and cops support Kaepernick's expression of First Amendment rights.

And WTF is " identity politics" versus " real Justice"?!? Or is that just another way for you to stay perennially triggered by the left in order for you to justify your even tepid support for Trump?

Identity politics, by definition, uses the identities of the parties involved to arrive at judgment instead of or at least with greater weight than their actions, which is antithetical to the principles of justice (hence why the statue of Justice is blindfolded). I won't make claims as to what is in Kaepernick's heart when he chooses to kneel because I honestly don't know, but I would think it's pretty clear what the distinction Fuzzy is invoking here is.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2019, 06:36:40 AM »

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/politics/2019/02/12/gop-lawmakers-oppose-black-history-month-resolution-naming-kaepernick/2848626002/

Totally not surprised, they would love if they could stop the whole month. I remember them getting fiesta about racist statues and not “removing history”.

Now that is something i could get behind.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2019, 06:55:28 AM »
« Edited: February 16, 2019, 07:09:55 AM by King TChenka »

Unless you live or work around a Black History Month celebration, a parade or something, Black History Month is generally a REALLY REALLY easy thing to ignore if you so choose to. Is the principle alone that triggering?

Would you be happier if there was also a White History Month (and possibly Hispanic History Month)? I feel like introducing that would be in bad taste, but if they'd always been around, I wouldn't be so against them that I'd want them done away with.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2019, 07:31:01 PM »

Unless you live or work around a Black History Month celebration, a parade or something, Black History Month is generally a REALLY REALLY easy thing to ignore if you so choose to. Is the principle alone that triggering?

Would you be happier if there was also a White History Month (and possibly Hispanic History Month)? I feel like introducing that would be in bad taste, but if they'd always been around, I wouldn't be so against them that I'd want them done away with.

You're new here, so you should be informed that Santander's posts are almost always ironic.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies