Was this the worst Super Bowl ever?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:50:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Was this the worst Super Bowl ever?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Worst Super Bowl ever?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 47

Author Topic: Was this the worst Super Bowl ever?  (Read 2047 times)
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2019, 09:13:31 AM »

Did the Rams have the worst offense seen in a Super Bowl in like forever for you old-timers? How could they have even gotten in with that style of play?
I joked with my dad that the Browns could do better.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2019, 09:21:36 AM »

Yes. The Pats being in it again, the snoozer of a first half, the trashy halftime show, a nearly 40-year-old man (Adam Levine) flashing the crowd his abs, and the Deflatriots winning (again) made it terrible.

Uh, in other words, a man in his 30s? And younger than at least one player on the field? Trashy "show", perhaps, but this criticism makes zero sense.

Anyway, I didn't watch, as usual. I have no problem with low-scoring defensive affairs though. Takes me back to the battle of attrition (and perfectly good rugby match) that was the 2011 Rugby World Cup Final - I was so heartbroken when my beloved Bleus lost. Sad
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2019, 09:38:37 AM »

Yes. The Pats being in it again, the snoozer of a first half, the trashy halftime show, a nearly 40-year-old man (Adam Levine) flashing the crowd his abs, and the Deflatriots winning (again) made it terrible.

Uh, in other words, a man in his 30s? And younger than at least one player on the field? Trashy "show", perhaps, but this criticism makes zero sense.

Anyway, I didn't watch, as usual. I have no problem with low-scoring defensive affairs though. Takes me back to the battle of attrition (and perfectly good rugby match) that was the 2011 Rugby World Cup Final - I was so heartbroken when my beloved Bleus lost. Sad

This Sad
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2019, 09:59:53 AM »

Y'all don't appreciate good, hard-nosed defensive play. Or special teams.

Anyway, I didn't watch, as usual. I have no problem with low-scoring defensive affairs though.
Lourdes
United States

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2019, 10:51:17 AM »

This was the most boring Super Bowl I've ever witnessed. The game was boring, the teams playing were boring, the halftime was boring. The ads were boring. What even happened?
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2019, 11:55:37 AM »

I just realized that the over/under for this game was 56.5.  Could have scored another 40 points and still won with the under.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2019, 06:15:04 PM »

It was bad, but cmon there have been worse.
Cokeland Saxton
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -6.26

P
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2019, 09:08:56 PM »

I'm glad I missed it, I actually found out who won from this thread.  The NFL has become a bad joke.  I think I might actually be completely done with it now.  At least tell me Cheater Supreme and/or coach Grouch announced their retirement?
Defletey is not retiring yet.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2019, 09:38:59 PM »

For someone who has never watched more than a few minutes of a football game here and there, what exactly makes this game bad?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2019, 10:12:06 PM »

I'm glad I missed it, I actually found out who won from this thread.  The NFL has become a bad joke.  I think I might actually be completely done with it now.  At least tell me Cheater Supreme and/or coach Grouch announced their retirement?

This across the board.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2019, 10:13:33 PM »
« Edited: February 04, 2019, 10:20:57 PM by Mayor Steve Pearce »

For someone who has never watched more than a few minutes of a football game here and there, what exactly makes this game bad?

There's been a bit of a revolution in the NFL, where viewers are trending towards high-flying offenses and strong passing games (a trend that, ironically, the Rams started). Instead, the game was a battle of defense and special teams.

The Rams got shut down, while what little yardage the Patriots gained were from short-yardage passes to Julian Edelman or runs from Sony Michel. There's also the fact that Gronkowski, who's been known for his highlight-reel grabs, is taking more of a blocking role in his older age due to age and injuries.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2019, 10:22:24 PM »

Defletey is not retiring yet.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2019, 06:38:34 PM »

Rams will move on and learn like the Dodgers did and win in 2020, just the Dodgers will win the pennant this year.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2019, 09:03:49 AM »

In virtually every US sport the fans expect to see scoring. They dislike defense unless it's a spectacular play, especially if it turns into points for the defenders. Over the last few years there have been a number of rule changes that make harder for defense to stop plays. That's not just true in American football, but in other sports like the NBA as well, where a defense like that of Michael Jordan's Bulls (or those that tried to slow MJ down) wouldn't be allowed today.

I happen to be old school and I love games that become smart defensive struggles - The Vikings' Purple People Eaters and Pittsburgh's Steel Curtain of the 1970's were favorites to watch. Same for the Super Bowl Bears of the 1980's who were built around a smothering defense. I even like pitchers' duels in baseball.

So guess what. I thought this was a fine Super Bowl, with solid play and relatively few mistakes on both sides. Everyone knew that both teams had powerful offenses and they both had shown it during the regular season. Yet both teams had unsung defenses (well, almost unsung since the Rams had the defensive player of the year) that had a chance to shine in the big game. That was despite the efforts of the league to insure more scoring. It remains true that offense wins the regular season, but defense wins championships.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2019, 03:44:38 PM »

Brady cemented his legacy along with Montana as Hall of Famwrs. He is Steph Curry golfing budding. However, its Chiefs and Rams time now.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2019, 09:17:45 PM »

Most people, even football fans, reacted to it as I react to most football games-with boredom. So, the answer is probably yes. It's made even worse because the damn Patriots won again, who I, even as a non-fan of football in general, have come to hate. Also Maroon 5 suck too and butchered a song from a classic childhood television show of mine.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2019, 02:26:20 PM »

This was the only way Brady could have won his probably last Superbowl, which was getting into a low scoring game with the opposition. Peyton Manning won his last Superbowl, very much like this, in 2016, with the Panthers.

Rams did lose their star Cooper Kuff, but never count out Brady, who proved his Iron Man status as a 6th Superbowl champion.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies