Trump to declare national emergency
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:13:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump to declare national emergency
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8
Author Topic: Trump to declare national emergency  (Read 8186 times)
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: February 14, 2019, 06:51:56 PM »

"Raising doubts", lol! Outside of Collins and Murkowski they'll all support whatever Trump pulls from his rear.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #76 on: February 14, 2019, 07:06:13 PM »

Inhofe is the worst.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #77 on: February 14, 2019, 07:08:21 PM »

Honestly, Trump played this perfectly. No shutdown and he can still claim victory on the wall. Between this and the state of the union he'll almost certainly hit 50% approval in the next week or two.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #78 on: February 14, 2019, 07:09:46 PM »

Honestly, Trump played this perfectly. No shutdown and he can still claim victory on the wall. Between this and the state of the union he'll almost certainly hit 50% approval in the next week or two.

Declaring a bogus national emergency to completely forego constitutional checks and balances is a perfect 'play'? You are out of your mind.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #79 on: February 14, 2019, 07:11:14 PM »

Declaring a bogus national emergency to completely forego constitutional checks and balances is a perfect 'play'? You are out of your mind.

It's horrible and unethical, but this will be remembered as the week he won reelection.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #80 on: February 14, 2019, 07:12:16 PM »

It's horrible and unethical, but this will be remembered as the week he won reelection.

-_-
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #81 on: February 14, 2019, 07:12:28 PM »

In his more favorable polls, sure (he's already there in Rasmussen).  In the averages?  Not a chance. 
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #82 on: February 14, 2019, 07:19:43 PM »

Hill/HarrisX (one of Trump's better pollsters), Jan. 12-13: 31% support emergency declaration to build wall, 69% oppose.

CBS News, Jan. 28-31: 34% support, 66% oppose.

Someone explain to me how this is going to help Trump's approval rating?
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #83 on: February 14, 2019, 07:24:57 PM »

Hill/HarrisX (one of Trump's better pollsters), Jan. 12-13: 31% support emergency declaration to build wall, 69% oppose.

Like many of Trump's crazier proposals, the Republican "moderates" will quickly fall in line. Between that, his re-energized base and a slightly larger percentage of black voters, his reelection grows more and more likely by the second. It is very sad.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #84 on: February 14, 2019, 07:28:21 PM »

Like many of Trump's crazier proposals, the Republican "moderates" will quickly fall in line. Between that, his re-energized base and a slightly larger percentage of black voters, his reelection grows more and more likely by the second. It is very sad.

What brightly-colored mushrooms have you been eating today?
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #85 on: February 14, 2019, 07:29:23 PM »

I actually haven't smoked a blunt yet today which is probably why I'm being so logical.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #86 on: February 14, 2019, 07:30:23 PM »

I actually haven't smoked a blunt yet today which is probably why I'm being so logical.

Logic must not be one of your strong suits then, or you're trolling (likely).
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #87 on: February 14, 2019, 07:36:34 PM »

Perhaps you should start.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #88 on: February 14, 2019, 07:42:14 PM »

The real purpose of this is probably to funnel money to contractors linked to his companies and put money into his accounts. All sorts of construction charges can be manufactured without Congress actually approving expenditures.
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.53

« Reply #89 on: February 14, 2019, 07:50:23 PM »

...but if miraculously it does, what's to stop President Harris (2021-2029) from declaring gun violence a national emergency to confiscate all weapons, or President Ocasio-Cortez (2025-2033) from declaring lack of healthcare a national emergency and diverting funds to Medicare for All?
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #90 on: February 14, 2019, 07:57:14 PM »

...but if miraculously it does, what's to stop President Harris (2021-2029) from declaring gun violence a national emergency to confiscate all weapons, or President Ocasio-Cortez (2025-2033) from declaring lack of healthcare a national emergency and diverting funds to Medicare for All?
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #91 on: February 14, 2019, 08:56:38 PM »

Well, it finally happened. An 'Arrested Development' joke from 2013 has officially become our reality. This country is such a f***ing embarrassment.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #92 on: February 14, 2019, 08:58:22 PM »

It's kinda comical how whenever his approval rating starts to decline, he always has to do something that ruins it.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #93 on: February 14, 2019, 09:33:45 PM »

A few more numbers:

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #94 on: February 14, 2019, 09:45:40 PM »

Logic must not be one of your strong suits then, or you're trolling (likely).

You're talking to someone who predicted last year not only that the Republicans would hold the House but that they'd have a net pickup of seats.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #95 on: February 14, 2019, 10:16:39 PM »

The real purpose of this is probably to funnel money to contractors linked to his companies and put money into his accounts. All sorts of construction charges can be manufactured without Congress actually approving expenditures.

This.

Trump doesn't know the meaning of compassion. It's all about him all the time.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #96 on: February 14, 2019, 10:18:40 PM »

"Raising doubts", lol! Outside of Collins and Murkowski they'll all support whatever Trump pulls from his rear.

Isn't that sad. No wonder the public hates politicians. There are very few public servants, and many many self-serving sheep.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #97 on: February 14, 2019, 10:24:44 PM »

Say it with me kids!

D
E
M
S

I
N

D
I
S
A
R
R
A
Y
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #98 on: February 14, 2019, 10:30:25 PM »

The only national emergency is Tyrant Trump's autocratic grab for power.

He has utterly betrayed his nation and his oath of office. The same is true of any member of Congress who supports this orange Hugo Chavez imitator, or who refuses to do their duty and impeach him immediately.

Those who suggest that he should be allowed to somehow set a precedent that can then be used by a future President for different goals are delusional and dangerous. This is a naked attempted to destroy the Constitution and usurp power. It cannot be spun, or finessed or outmaneuvered. It must be challenged and rejected, utterly.

If our nation (and government) is to survive as it has for the last two centuries, there can be only one response: removal of Trump and his supporters from power as swiftly as legally possible, accompanied by the broad public rejection of them. Anything less, and we are, like the Roman Republic, doomed within a generation or two.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #99 on: February 14, 2019, 10:32:16 PM »

I think a lot of people don't realize the precedent this could set ...

And for McTurtle to go along with it. You would have thought that McConnell could see the "bigger picture" (and future consequences) in this charade from the Orange Clown.

To the GOP, the big picture is defeating the liberals, consequences be damned.

The Democratic party is very divided but they all share one thing in common. They all hate Trump! They don't care about the American people! All the Democrats care about if fighting Trump by all means.
Going by the 2016 numbers they represent a greater proportion of the population than the Trump supporters so I don't know what you're yammering on about when you say they don't care about the American people...

unless "American people" is a dogwhistle term as i've always suspected but nobody else agrees with me on.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies