Republicans only: Weld or Trump
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:31:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Republicans only: Weld or Trump
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: ?
Weld

Trump

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 108

Author Topic: Republicans only: Weld or Trump  (Read 4116 times)
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 14, 2019, 04:06:19 PM »

...and why?
PaperKooper
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.23, S: 5.57

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 05:27:59 PM »

Trump because Weld isn't pro-life. 
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 05:47:20 PM »

Trump, Bill Weld has switched parties for political convenience. Also any primary challenge to Trump will go down in flames and ruin that candidate's chance for statewide office (this is why I don't want Hogan to run, instead he should wait until Cardin retires and run for the Senate) Bill Weld  should run a primary challenge, because he will not be able to win statewide elections
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 06:57:15 PM »

Trump, Bill Weld has switched parties for political convenience.

Do you realize what you've written here?
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 07:09:18 PM »

He was Libertarian in 2016, so he could run on their VP ticket. Now he has switched back to the GOP knowing that Bill Kristol and the Never Trump Conservatives will back him in a primary bid. Bill Weld should just retires, neither party wants him
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 08:15:44 PM »

He was Libertarian in 2016, so he could run on their VP ticket. Now he has switched back to the GOP knowing that Bill Kristol and the Never Trump Conservatives will back him in a primary bid. Bill Weld should just retires, neither party wants him

You are saying that you prefer Donald Trump because Bill Weld switched parties for political convenience
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019, 08:17:28 PM »

You are saying that you prefer Donald Trump because Bill Weld switched parties for political convenience

Don't give yourself an aneurysm. Understanding irony and hypocrisy isn't the strong suit of Trump supporters.
PaperKooper
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2019, 08:23:44 PM »

You're insinuating that Trump changed parties for political convenience, which clearly isn't true and makes no sense. 
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2019, 10:59:26 PM »

Lean Trump/Toss-up, but I will vote for a conservative challenger if one runs.
Horatii
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.50, S: 0.60

P
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2019, 11:08:45 PM »

Trump. Immigration.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2019, 04:07:51 AM »

You're insinuating that Trump changed parties for political convenience, which clearly isn't true and makes no sense. 

Trump has changed his party four times in the past 20 years.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2019, 07:30:28 AM »

why do you think he changed parties then?
Wazza [INACTIVE]
Wazza1901
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2019, 09:30:46 AM »

I think Weld is better overall even though he hasn't got a snowflakes chance in hell of winning. Solid academic credentials, solid political experience, during his tenure as governor he got decent ratings (A's and B's) from the Cato institute's report on fiscal policy, he's not a loudmouth or a populist. I expect him to be non-interventionist leaning due to his time in the Libertarian Party. I do have some reservations about gun control measures he tried to pass in Mass but he has renounced these views.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2019, 09:55:56 AM »

Trump easily.
Ye We Can
Mumph

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2019, 11:17:59 AM »

Weld, although I wish he was harder on immigration.

PaperKooper
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2019, 11:34:17 AM »

Trump has changed his party four times in the past 20 years.

Five times if I'm reading Wikipedia correctly.  He's also been a Republican for the last decade, except for a brief stint as an independent eight years ago. 

why do you think he changed parties then?

Because the Democratic party was no longer representative of his views.  If that's not the case, why does he have such fanatical opposition among Democrats? 
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2019, 12:37:49 PM »

If that's not the case, why does he have such fanatical opposition among Democrats? 
the non-hostile answer is:he's good at trolling them, and they're good at reacting

the hostile answer is:they (correctly) think he's a narcissistic moron, who is at best, embarrassing us like no one in history and at worst, is leading us to Armageddon

the truth is probably somewhere in between
DPKdebator
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: 3.65

P P P

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2019, 03:11:25 PM »

Trump
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2019, 03:22:02 PM »

You can’t make this sh**t up, Trump supporters really do create their own reality.
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2019, 03:24:43 PM »

Trump, Bill Weld has switched parties for political convenience. Also any primary challenge to Trump will go down in flames and ruin that candidate's chance for statewide office (this is why I don't want Hogan to run, instead he should wait until Cardin retires and run for the Senate) Bill Weld  should run a primary challenge, because he will not be able to win statewide elections

Hmmmm.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2019, 05:41:12 PM »

Don the Con could have been the Democratic nominee in 2004 or 2008 lmao.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2019, 11:06:55 PM »

Hmmmm.

What I am trying to say is that Bil Weld has done it. I do not deny that Trump has done it and has flip-flopped on issues. But when in office, he has not flip-flopped, he committed to repealing the ACA (which failed, but he tried) and successfully passed tax cuts. Bill Weld comes from the wing of the party were this would be anathema. Plus if a RINO like Weld was the nominee, the base would stay home and the Dems would win easily. Another thing, Trump has legitimately changed his positiona on issues. Bill Weld has kept the same positions and just changed the letter next to his name. Bill Weld's actions are the definition of political opportunism
Harlow

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2019, 11:14:24 PM »

Hmmmm.

What I am trying to say is that Bil Weld has done it. I do not deny that Trump has done it and has flip-flopped on issues. But when in office, he has not flip-flopped, he committed to repealing the ACA (which failed, but he tried) and successfully passed tax cuts. Bill Weld comes from the wing of the party were this would be anathema. Plus if a RINO like Weld was the nominee, the base would stay home and the Dems would win easily. Another thing, Trump has legitimately changed his positiona on issues. Bill Weld has kept the same positions and just changed the letter next to his name. Bill Weld's actions are the definition of political opportunism

Soooo now you're saying that Bill Weld is too consistent in terms of his positions whereas Trump flip-flops on the issues and that's a good thing?
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2019, 11:18:03 PM »

Trump, Bill Weld has switched parties for political convenience. Also any primary challenge to Trump will go down in flames and ruin that candidate's chance for statewide office (this is why I don't want Hogan to run, instead he should wait until Cardin retires and run for the Senate) Bill Weld  should run a primary challenge, because he will not be able to win statewide elections

Hmmmm.

I can’t even begin to untangle this word soup.
Nightcore Nationalist
Okthisisnotepic.

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2019, 06:28:56 AM »

Trump.

He's made some mistakes and I don't agree with every action he's taken, but he's governed like a conservative some 80% of the time, is critical of the EU and China, has a good cordial relationship with Moon and Abe, I like his foreign policy in the ME, has been great with the courts and is addressing Immigration (albeit not always successfully). And probably has a 50-55% chance of winning re election.

Even though it's a moot point as Weld has no chance of defeating an incumbent in a primary, he wouldn't win in a general election anyway.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies