College-educated whites- social issues
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:33:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  College-educated whites- social issues
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: College-educated whites- social issues  (Read 1047 times)
Fwillb21
Rookie
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 05, 2019, 12:36:02 AM »

This is a question about the suburban, college-educated whites who have been trending Democratic since Trump took office.

From personal experience, do you find the majority of this demographic to be liberal, moderate, or conservative on issues such as immigration, LGBT rights, etc?
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2019, 09:22:02 AM »

Where I live, it's much more conservative than other places because of religiosity, but I would say that the bigger issue nationally for the GOP is that they are not culturally conservative, not that they are not socially conservative.  That's especially evident in that many suburbs had no problem with social conservatism from the GOP for decades, but flipped en masse when the GOP started to focus on cultural conservatism.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2019, 12:14:23 AM »

Certainly the suburban areas swinging away from Trump are not Evangelical strongholds, but they aren't necessarily socially liberal either.  There's nothing socially liberal about having all the "cool" positions on gender or reproductive rights and then sending your kids to a private or heavily segregated public school.

My upbringing in a small, "Evangelical" Southern town was way more diverse than other people my age I knew who grew up in suburban Nashville or Atlanta. 

Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2019, 02:50:50 PM »

Where I live, it's much more conservative than other places because of religiosity, but I would say that the bigger issue nationally for the GOP is that they are not culturally conservative, not that they are not socially conservative.  That's especially evident in that many suburbs had no problem with social conservatism from the GOP for decades, but flipped en masse when the GOP started to focus on cultural conservatism.

What do you mean by culturally vs. socially conservative?  Attitudes on e.g. gay rights have shifted seismically in the college+ demographic over the past 15 years and college+ as a whole appears to lean pro-choice vs. non-college.  Some of this is Millennials growing up and moving to the suburbs, but it also looks like a lot of people really changed their minds.   

The one major issue on which college+ suburbs still strike me as socially conservative is monogamy/waiting until marriage to have kids, and Democrats are probably better positioned to appeal to suburban voters on those issues post-Trump and MeToo.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2019, 04:33:22 PM »

I don’t really see a difference between social and cultural conservatism. I do believe the suburbs are quickly moving left on those issues and Trump has accelerated that trend.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2019, 11:11:33 PM »

This is a question about the suburban, college-educated whites who have been trending Democratic since Trump took office.

From personal experience, do you find the majority of this demographic to be liberal, moderate, or conservative on issues such as immigration, LGBT rights, etc?
A willingness to switch suggests that they’re moderates.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2019, 11:19:19 PM »

What do you mean by culturally vs. socially conservative?
Socially conservative = religious, anti-abortion, homophobic, anti-single-parenthood, etc.

Culturally conservative = anti-immigration, dislikes hearing languages other than the historical language of their country being spoken, thinks Obama is a Muslim born in Kenya, etc.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2019, 10:18:46 AM »

What do you mean by culturally vs. socially conservative?  Attitudes on e.g. gay rights have shifted seismically in the college+ demographic over the past 15 years and college+ as a whole appears to lean pro-choice vs. non-college.  Some of this is Millennials growing up and moving to the suburbs, but it also looks like a lot of people really changed their minds.   

The one major issue on which college+ suburbs still strike me as socially conservative is monogamy/waiting until marriage to have kids, and Democrats are probably better positioned to appeal to suburban voters on those issues post-Trump and MeToo.

Nearly everyone over 35 who supports gay marriage has changed their mind on the issue at some point, so there's that to consider.
tallguy23
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2019, 04:08:07 PM »

They're pretty liberal on social issues. If they vote Republican it's because of taxes.

Having said that, we are getting to a place where LGBT rights won't be considered liberal or conservative. It'l be status quo.
Wazza [INACTIVE]
Wazza1901
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2019, 05:29:30 PM »

“College educated whites” is a very broad group and isn’t really a proper source of identity in the same way that being an African American, an LGBT or an Evangelical Christian is. The politics of UMC evangelicals in Williamson County, TN are generally going to be vastly different from the politics of yuppies in Manhattan. How college educated whites vote is shaped by core sources of identity like religion, specific ethnicity, regional economic factors, age distribution, etc.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2019, 09:15:46 AM »

What do you mean by culturally vs. socially conservative?
Socially conservative = religious, anti-abortion, homophobic, anti-single-parenthood, etc.

Culturally conservative = anti-immigration, dislikes hearing languages other than the historical language of their country being spoken, thinks Obama is a Muslim born in Kenya, etc.

So the Religious Right vs Alt-Right. If I had to guess, there isn't much beyond their intersect.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies