Would the Republican base like Nikki Haley?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:15:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Would the Republican base like Nikki Haley?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Would the Republican base like Nikki Haley?  (Read 4957 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 15, 2019, 01:01:13 PM »

Would former US ambassador to the UN and former South Carolina Governor Nikki Haley be palatable to the Republican base?

Some say no because she is a non-white woman. She is not a Palin or a Liz Cheney or a Lynn Martin or a Elizabeth Dole or a Loesch or a Blackburn.

Is she?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2019, 03:08:31 PM »

I think her ancestory, is a problem, just like it is against Tulsi Gabbard. 
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2019, 03:39:24 PM »

You may be right. Both Haley and Gabbard are talented, even more than Jindal.
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2019, 11:19:06 AM »

I think she’s super talented (she’s played working for Trump a lot better than most)  and on paper would be a great GOP nominee but I just don’t see how a non white woman wins the GOP nomination anytime soon.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2019, 12:57:08 PM »

I could see this happening if actually was president and would accomplish something the party likes. She could do this because she'd be more effective than Donald Trump. Who ever thought Trump would be that popular with the base when he entered the race? In our time, most presidents become a beloved figure among their own party base.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2019, 03:02:57 PM »

Yes.
Medal506
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2019, 06:30:47 PM »

I think the 2024 Republican Primary will be between Nikki haley, Ted Cruz and Charlie Baker. Baker will be more of a lower tire candidate though because he can't win anything outside of the north east but I think Haley will be a favorite to win the nomination in 2024 since she will most likely win in South Carolina and be a true competitor to Cruz in the South East.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2019, 06:36:16 PM »

Don't know if she could win a primary. Her ancestry or gender aren't the problem. Her problem comes (presumably) in on the issue of immigration (where she challenged Trump in her SOTU response) and relative 'insider' image as ambassador.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2019, 07:03:11 PM »

All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2019, 10:52:41 AM »

No.
Some of My Best Friends Are Gay
Enlightened_Centrist 420
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2019, 11:40:56 AM »

Not until/unless she wins the nomination... then they'll switch to worshiping her like she's a queen.
ReaganLimbaugh
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2019, 07:11:59 PM »

No Chance
R.P. McM
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2019, 08:52:53 PM »

Don't know if she could win a primary. Her ancestry or gender aren't the problem. Her problem comes (presumably) in on the issue of immigration (where she challenged Trump in her SOTU response)

She's a non-white woman challenging the "invasion" narrative enthusiastically embraced by the Party's base. Voters who more or less uniformly approve of the outspoken bigot they put in the White House. Yeah, that's going to be a massive problem for Nikki Haley. It was a problem for Rick Perry, and he was the ideal candidate to push back — white man, military veteran, border state governor, etc.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2019, 08:58:41 PM »

She seems like the ideal candidate for the Bill Kristol/David Frum/Jennifer Rubin/Steve Schmidt wingmof the GOP, especially if it breaks off into a more moderate party.
Bourbonfan
Rookie
United States
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2019, 09:41:56 PM »

Some politicians are inexplicably likeable. Her views were (and mostly still are) standard GOP, but I don't think I've met a politically-aware Republican who didn't like her, as in future candidate for the Presidency like her. Granted, this is only my experience, but it's worth recognizing how uncommon that talent is. There are other Republicans with a comparable resume, a ton with similar views, and even some with policies more in-line with the Trump-direction, but there are not very many with her ability. She may or may not ever be a presidential candidate or similarly influential, but I expect her to be in the mix down the road.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2019, 10:17:40 PM »

90% of Republicans will like whoever the face of the Republican Party is even if it means switching what they say about certain things.  The same is true of 90% of Democrats and the Democratic Party.  It's kind of sad, but party trumps ideology for most people.

My ideology hasn't stayed perfectly consistent but it has stayed relatively the same, but I feel further away from the mainstream GOP than I have in a long time- because they accepted nationalism and populism.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2019, 01:05:55 PM »

Depends on which wing of the party you’re talking about.

She’s spent a lot of the last few years triangulating between the party’s wings. The Ficon/Ben Shapiro-esque establishment would, of course, follow her off the edge of the earth. The religous right, also, would probably be fine with her.

Then you get to the hard-Trumpist wing. She’s clearly tried to court them - to what level of success I’m not sure. Though I think Trump himself at least somewhat likes her, which is a definite plus for them.
R.P. McM
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2019, 03:46:19 PM »

90% of Republicans will like whoever the face of the Republican Party is even if it means switching what they say about certain things.  The same is true of 90% of Democrats and the Democratic Party.

Doubtful — we actually believe what we say. It's not just a smokescreen for hating racial, religious, and sexual minorities. Granted, there are undoubtedly people who actually believe in "Christian conservatism" and "small government" — yourself included, perhaps — but they represent an insignificant minority within the Republican base.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2019, 04:25:06 PM »

90% of Republicans will like whoever the face of the Republican Party is even if it means switching what they say about certain things.  The same is true of 90% of Democrats and the Democratic Party.

Doubtful — we actually believe what we say. It's not just a smokescreen for hating racial, religious, and sexual minorities. Granted, there are undoubtedly people who actually believe in "Christian conservatism" and "small government" — yourself included, perhaps — but they represent an insignificant minority within the Republican base.

You, like most people here, really underestimate how many of your own voters are pretty damn stupid.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2019, 08:14:36 PM »

Not until/unless she wins the nomination... then they'll switch to worshiping her like she's a queen.

Well, she is one Purple heart
NyIndy

Political Matrix
E: 0.25, S: -3.15

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2019, 08:32:01 PM »

I think she's someone who could potentially bring together the two sides of the Republican party better than most, her work with Trump has certainly helped her with them. I really think her run is most likely decided by who else runs in 2024. She'll likely be the establishment choice, but the Trump wing may find someone like Cotton or maybe even Blackburn more appealing.
Some of My Best Friends Are Gay
Enlightened_Centrist 420
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2019, 09:12:39 PM »

Well, she is one Purple heart

As much as I disagree with her political views, I'll admit her life story is pretty inspiring and she's better than a lot of modern Republicans.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2019, 10:14:28 PM »

Seems like they already DO like it. This isnt a would question
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2019, 11:54:13 PM »

Another mind-reader!
Wazza [INACTIVE]
Wazza1901
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2019, 09:52:11 AM »

I think she’s super talented (she’s played working for Trump a lot better than most)  and on paper would be a great GOP nominee but I just don’t see how a non white woman wins the GOP nomination anytime soon.

Don't know if she could win a primary. Her ancestry or gender aren't the problem. Her problem comes (presumably) in on the issue of immigration (where she challenged Trump in her SOTU response)

She's a non-white woman challenging the "invasion" narrative enthusiastically embraced by the Party's base. Voters who more or less uniformly approve of the outspoken bigot they put in the White House. Yeah, that's going to be a massive problem for Nikki Haley. It was a problem for Rick Perry, and he was the ideal candidate to push back — white man, military veteran, border state governor, etc.

Moronic statements. Nikkie Haley was elected twice as Governor by South Carolina Republicans, if her race and Tim Scotts race isn't an issue there and Jindal's race isn't an issue in Louisiana, why would it be an issue with the nationwide GOP?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies