Why does Trump always get his way? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:37:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Why does Trump always get his way? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why does Trump always get his way?  (Read 1199 times)
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« on: February 16, 2019, 01:15:58 PM »

Because he's a lot more right on a wide variety of issues than his opposition, in the eyes of millions of Americans, and because he has significant public support for his positions on those issues.  And because he's willing to advance his policy objectives now, however controversial, rather than wait for a second term that may not come.

The question is "Why does Trump always get his way?".  Whatever you think about Trump, this, IMO, is the formula.

Law, including the Constitution, determines what is legally right.

Because he has a full blown cult behind him that will excuse everything he does.

Fuzzy Bear demonstrates such.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 11:32:35 AM »

Because Trump has lived a life free of consequences and can't accept that he may finally have to face some. This is exacerbated by a Republican Party that enables him to the point of never having to face those very same consequences that he should.

That is the point. He has gotten away with things that few of us could imagine getting away with. He inherited his original wealth, so he has never had day-to-day responsibility for profit and loss as does a small businessman. Like many in America's social elite during the Vietnam War he avoided military duty on grounds that the son of a prole family would have never gotten. Don't get me wrong: it is probably best that Trump never got anywhere near a military base. He would have been a horrible junior officer, an arrogant prick with no acumen.

As a businessman, the only things that he has done well is either to have the luck to own rental properties in a city in which people have high incomes and few alternatives to living. Trump has done well at schlock TV, probably because a schlock mind has the right mindset for delivering schlock entertainment. His other ventures have generally failed because he cannot work within the confines of a competitive market. He thinks his name special. Somehow "Rockefeller" impresses me more, but maybe that is because the Rockefeller family is judicious in putting its names on things. 

He has walked into female dressing rooms with women or girls present -- which would get someone non-noble such as I arrested. Grabbing women by their "kitty-cats"? If some thuggish fellow had done that to one of my daughters (I have none), I would insist that she press charges to the DA for sexual assault, if not attempted rape. That is penetration, which is enough in some jurisdictions to constitute rape. (That or I would get her into some behavioral-modification program so that she can develop better taste in men!)

He offered the Republican party exactly what it wanted -- an appeal to people whose vulgarity, meanness, and ignorance could fall for him. His demagoguery was safe because everyone knew that he would quickly revert his politics to the service of his well-known class interests. If he might offend some sensibilities with his vulgarity and meanness, at least he would give the Republican Party the Presidency while it holds onto the House and Senate and gets to reshape  the Supreme Court. The Republican Party was already as reactionary as it could be without going fully fascist.

Donald Trump holds without qualification the core belief of the 'highest' classes -- the elite of ownership and the bureaucratic elites of giant enterprises: that no human suffering can ever be in excess so long as that suffering enhances, indulges, or enforces the unlimited rapaciousness of those elites. Should the common people show dissent, then do not compromise -- simply intensify the suffering. When intensification of the suffering becomes the solution instead of backing down a little, one has full-blown fascism.

Trump has contempt of legal formalities, which should scare the Hell out of any genuine conservative. Legal formalities do not matter when most people are rendered powerless.     

He is a bad businessman and an even worse politician. So far as I can tell this man lacks the empathy necessary for making fair deals that are the essence of successful capitalism -- good deals for all concerned that get people coming back for more.   
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies