Hispanics and women on legalizing marijuana
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:49:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Hispanics and women on legalizing marijuana
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hispanics and women on legalizing marijuana  (Read 408 times)
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 15, 2019, 08:40:23 PM »

I've read that hispanics and women are the demographics most supportive of the War on Marijuana. Is this true?
The Undefeatable Debbie Stabenow
slightlyburnttoast
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -5.43

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 04:17:38 PM »
« Edited: February 18, 2019, 04:21:17 PM by The Undefeatable Debbie Stabenow »

I would guess that if you control for partisanship, men would be more likely to support marijuana legalization than women because, like pretty much every illicit substance, men are more likely to have firsthand experience with it.

However, I doubt that men are truly more supportive of marijuana legalization if you don’t control for partisanship, because I’m guessing that the increasingly prevalent liberal-conservative gender gap more than makes up for it. Legalization is still a largely liberal-led movement, even if more and more moderates and conservatives are supporting it, and women are significantly more likely than men to identity as liberal.

However, maybe there are other gender-related factors that encourage women to oppose legalization more than men; some sort of motherly opposition to illicit substances? I’m not sure whether there is a actual significant disparity between the concerns of mothers and fathers on issues like this, but there certainly is the stereotype that the mother more adamantly disapproves of their children using drugs than the father.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies