Political history of Trinity County, CA
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:29:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Political history of Trinity County, CA
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Political history of Trinity County, CA  (Read 418 times)
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 16, 2019, 09:53:15 PM »

Trinity County mostly voted Democratic (with the exception of Eisenhower) until the 1970s, then became reliably GOP. Recently, it has started to vote Democratic occasionally (like in 2008). What’s the reason for this?
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 12:53:03 AM »

Trinity County mostly voted Democratic (with the exception of Eisenhower) until the 1970s, then became reliably GOP. Recently, it has started to vote Democratic occasionally (like in 2008). What’s the reason for this?
Until recently it has had horrific unemployment (20% in winter, 14% in summer). It is still high. It appears to have some big population swings.

From 1950 to 1960 +91%.
From 1960 to 1970
From 1970 to 1980 +56%.

The boom in the 50s may have been during construction of Trinity Dam. An increase from 5000 to 10000, might only take 1000-1500 workers with families along with service workers.

I don't know what triggered the recovery in the 1970s. More timbering? Commercial gold mining? The area is known for its recreational place mining - along with enforcement of mining claims. Perhaps going off the gold standard triggered interest. Weaverville at one time had a Chintatown with 2000 persons.

Wage income is really flat compared to California. So you probably have a lot of people just getting by. Maybe they do a little bit of construction work, or work your claim. Maybe you like the isolation. But then finally give up and get a job in Redding. So you may have a lot of population transition, rather than people changing their politics.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 02:23:47 AM »

I haven’t really found anything. I looked for answers on its political history but found nothing.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies