EU tries to kill the internet (Feb 2019 version)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 03:10:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  EU tries to kill the internet (Feb 2019 version)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: EU tries to kill the internet (Feb 2019 version)  (Read 510 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 17, 2019, 06:34:03 AM »

link-Electronic Frontier Foundation
You must be logged in to read this quote.
hopefully, like last time, it will get voted down

link to Jun 2018 version of the thread

Omega21

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 11:05:17 AM »

And that is why I am looking forward to some changes and more right-wing MEPs this May.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 11:22:38 AM »

And that is why I am looking forward to some changes and more right-wing MEPs this May.

How will right wing MEPs change it, seeing as most of the right wing groups support the bill afaik?
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2019, 12:29:38 PM »

Voting for a GUE/NGL or G/EFA party might be your best bet. Or EFDD, assuming they still exist
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2019, 12:35:13 PM »

Voting for a GUE/NGL or G/EFA party might be your best bet. Or EFDD, assuming they still exist
Since the intra-group differences are pretty big, it is smarter to look at the voting behavior of one's own national party rather than the group as a whole.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2019, 12:47:27 PM »

Since the intra-group differences are pretty big, it is smarter to look at the voting behavior of one's own national party rather than the group as a whole.

Maybe so, but the initial point implied that the best way to oppose this was to vote for "more" (read populist) right wing MEPs. All I did was point out that isn't consistently the case, especially seeing as the groups are still the easiest way to get a rough-ish picture.

Also, some of us will be affected by this, even without having a "national" party we can actually vote for.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2019, 12:50:56 PM »

Also, some of us will be affected by this, even without having a "national" party we can actually vote for.
I assume you're referring to people in Switzerland and maybe Norway. This is the result of agreements that your governments have regrettably (for you) struck with the EU. In national elections you can still vote for parties that oppose further European integration and at best even support the dismantlement of existing agreements.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2019, 01:08:49 PM »

I assume you're referring to people in Switzerland and maybe Norway. This is the result of agreements that your governments have regrettably (for you) struck with the EU. In national elections you can still vote for parties that oppose further European integration and at best even support the dismantlement of existing agreements.

It's in no small part thanks to the "have cake and eat it" attitude of those sorts of parties that we're in the situation we're in.

I mean, the logical thing would be to have a say in the decisions that affect us, not to try and pretend we can bring back a world where they don't
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2019, 01:23:54 PM »

It's in no small part thanks to the "have cake and eat it" attitude of those sorts of parties that we're in the situation we're in.

I mean, the logical thing would be to have a say in the decisions that affect us, not to try and pretend we can bring back a world where they don't
So if Switzerland were in the EU, you could vote for the Greens in the EP election and... then what? You'd be just as screwed with this copyright nonsense as the rest of us.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2019, 01:29:43 PM »

So if Switzerland were in the EU, you could vote for the Greens in the EP election and... then what? You'd be just as screwed with this copyright nonsense as the rest of us.
Same as always, blame the Conservatives. Bad policy making by an elected parliament isn't usually used to underming the existence of the institution as a whole. Except with the EU, it apparently does.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2019, 03:19:08 PM »

EU: Passes unpopular policies

Europeans: Start voting far right anti EU parties

EU:

I am very pro EU, but stuff like this is definitely doesn't help make the EU popular.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2019, 05:43:38 PM »

Hopefully the growth of Green, and more appropriately the Pirate Parties, will serve as a more palatable alternative to voters in the future to shut these awful laws down.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2019, 06:22:41 PM »

Bad policy making by an elected parliament isn't usually used to underming the existence of the institution as a whole. Except with the EU, it apparently does.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies