6th Grader refuses to stand for pledge of allegiance, arrested for "disturbance" (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:20:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  6th Grader refuses to stand for pledge of allegiance, arrested for "disturbance" (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 6th Grader refuses to stand for pledge of allegiance, arrested for "disturbance"  (Read 1790 times)
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« on: February 18, 2019, 10:28:23 AM »

This teacher doesn't even know basic U.S. History. How is she qualified to teach at the 6th grade level? Also if the student was sitting how was he being disruptive? It sounds like she tried to force him to do something that is unconstitutional then got upset that a 6th grader is smarter than she is.

GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 12:40:10 PM »

This teacher doesn't even know basic U.S. History. How is she qualified to teach at the 6th grade level? Also if the student was sitting how was he being disruptive? It sounds like she tried to force him to do something that is unconstitutional then got upset that a 6th grader is smarter than she is.

What the hell are you talking about? This story contains no details. All it says is that the kid insulted the US and after a couple back and forth the teacher called in the dean, after which the student was physically disruptive. How you go from that to leaping to the conclusion the teacher is in the wrong I have no idea.

The Washington Post story goes in to more detail.  The teacher tried to force the kid to recite the pledge of allegiance and, after that, back and forth started.

Yes I read a story with more details.

The child was sitting in his seat. How is sitting disruptive?

The teacher told the kid something to the effect of "if you don't love the USA leave". This is patronizing, silly, and possibly racist. The teacher also discounted the students experience and reasoning and uttered some nonsense about her experience with Cuba. Which might be valid to her but has nothing to do with what the student was saying.

This is basic stuff that is settled law. Students can not be forced to pledge at school or games in public institutions. They also can not be disciplined for refusing to do so. This has been ruled to violate their constitutional rights. This is only a story because the teacher made it one. I would call up the ACLU, if I was this kid's parents. If they ACLU hasn't already called them.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 11:16:02 AM »

Why don't schools have a response staff for unruly children that doesn't involve police or security officers. They should have people trained to deescalate children with behavioral issues throwing tantrums or kids with special needs acting out their frustrations. Imagine the work that could be done with that approach instead of criminalizing children and turning everything into an incident.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 03:45:07 PM »

This is an exercise of freedom of religion within a public institution.

I agree as I posted before. I also think the substitute teacher instigated and escalated the situation. Even if the student was in the right, a team of more qualified people could have arrived in the classroom. They could have reassured the student that standing or reciting the pledge was not mandatory. The substitute teacher instead incorrectly dismissed the sentiment the student expressed and basically told the student to "go back to Africa".
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies