Democrats only: Will you vote for Sanders if he wins the nomination?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 07:12:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Democrats only: Will you vote for Sanders if he wins the nomination?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: -skip-
Yes

No

Not a Democrat/Don't live in the U.S.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 85

Author Topic: Democrats only: Will you vote for Sanders if he wins the nomination?  (Read 821 times)
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 19, 2019, 08:09:02 PM »

I'm genuinely curious to see the results.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 08:15:59 PM »

Most certainly.  I don't pretend to like his followers, but out of party loyalty I will back him if he becomes our nominee. 
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 08:47:58 PM »

I would vote for any Democratic nominee.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 09:07:32 PM »

I would vote for any Democratic nominee.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2019, 09:31:05 AM »

Yes.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2019, 11:26:22 AM »

Yeah, of course.
Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2019, 11:26:46 AM »

TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2019, 11:46:33 AM »

Yes, I would vote for the colorful, imperfect, elderly, old progressive from Vermont over the worst POTUS since Andrew Johnson.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2019, 11:47:55 AM »

Option 3.

However, I probably wouldn't vote for him in the Democratic primaries, but in the general election were he to win the primaries.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2019, 11:48:27 AM »

Enthusiastically.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2019, 04:36:30 PM »

Yes
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2019, 04:54:24 PM »

Most certainly.  I don't pretend to like his followers, but out of party loyalty I will back him if he becomes our nominee

Respectfully I hear this a lot and I think this is a dumb rationale.  You should back him because the alternative is devastating for millions of people.

The only reason I mindlessly tow the Democratic party line is not out of some irrational sense of loyalty to the letter D but because nowadays with party homogeneity the Democrats are always the clear lesser of two evils choice and to not make that choice causes a tremendous amount of suffering.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2019, 05:43:06 PM »

Most certainly.  I don't pretend to like his followers, but out of party loyalty I will back him if he becomes our nominee

Respectfully I hear this a lot and I think this is a dumb rationale.  You should back him because the alternative is devastating for millions of people.

The only reason I mindlessly tow the Democratic party line is not out of some irrational sense of loyalty to the letter D but because nowadays with party homogeneity the Democrats are always the clear lesser of two evils choice and to not make that choice causes a tremendous amount of suffering.

Well for me it is basically the D next to the name, barring Moore level stuff.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2019, 10:16:49 PM »

That's not a reason to vote for someone.

Hell, I'm not gonna vote for my Labor candidate in May over here if they don't reflect the stances I hold. I'm more than prepared to vote for the party that does.

Don't vote because of the party. Vote because the candidate represents your views best.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2019, 11:48:01 PM »

That's not a reason to vote for someone.

Hell, I'm not gonna vote for my Labor candidate in May over here if they don't reflect the stances I hold. I'm more than prepared to vote for the party that does.

Don't vote because of the party. Vote because the candidate represents your views best.

Right, and I would amend that language to say cast a vote that will result in a better country (for instance, under the first language, I would have wasted a vote for rocky Anderson in 2012 or Ralph Nader in 2000).

Now, of course, if you live in a polarized country or a country with a lot of party discipline, you may end up just voting for the same party every single time like I do. 

But it's important to be faithful to policy, not personality or tribe.  Psychological research indicates that we are mostly actually the latter which IMO is the cause of a lot of problems.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2019, 12:28:36 AM »

Hell yeah!

In fact, this would be one of those occasions where I would actively promote my party's candidate among my family/friends and try go get them to go to the polls along with me.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2019, 12:45:12 AM »

Guess
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2019, 08:40:37 AM »

I won't vote for him in the primary, but of course I would vote for him in the GE should he be the nominee.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2019, 08:41:47 AM »

I dont think anyone will win the Dem nomination because everyone ever divides the Dem party...Dems should just give up
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2019, 09:58:03 AM »

yes.
ABTars2000
Rookie
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2019, 10:08:16 AM »

Yes.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2019, 01:27:58 AM »

While I will be campaigning against and trashing him at every opportunity, I’m not stupid. Unlike many of his supporters I know that who’s in power matters a great deal. Would never give Trump a chance at four more years.

I find it funny how Bernie stans want to preach about falling in line and stopping Trump now that their candidate is the front runner. Smh.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2019, 09:13:17 AM »

Yes, of course. Cannot give Trump four more years.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2019, 12:34:43 PM »

While I will be campaigning against and trashing him at every opportunity, I’m not stupid. Unlike many of his supporters I know that who’s in power matters a great deal. Would never give Trump a chance at four more years.

I find it funny how Bernie stans want to preach about falling in line and stopping Trump now that their candidate is the front runner. Smh.

Bernie is not anything close to a front runner. He will be easily dispatched by one of the establishment candidates once that vote is consolidated.
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2019, 01:57:44 PM »
« Edited: February 23, 2019, 02:05:05 PM by IceAgeComing »

Only in the Federal election in Australia that doesn't really apply since you both have compulsory voting AND compulsory preferential voting.  Assuming you live in an ALP/LNP seat like most Australians and that you'll vote as the law forces you to that statement means one of three things:

1. You preference the Greens and whatever random left parties like the Sex Party over the ALP, but them above the Liberals/Nationals.  Which has... no practical affect and your vote helps to elect the Labor candidate anyway;

2. You preference the Liberals above Labor; which would be like preferencing Trump over Clinton because you preferred Sanders which is clearly a moronic thing to do; or

3. You preference neither and then your vote doesn't count for whatever small party you wish to vote for so the message that you want to send isn't sent.

Basically the example that you give is not relevant for America; since in your country you can vote for minor parties in the knowledge that you'll still not harm the bigger party that leans towards you the most (in most cases; when you get three party contests under AV sometimes a group of people preferencing a smaller party can change the order of elimination and actually hurt the party that they preference the most but its complicated) while in Australia voting for Jill Stein or whoever is pissing in the wind and is more likely to lead to the re-election of an incredibly distasteful and harmful man who will do a hell of a lot more harm to people than electing someone who you only somewhat support.

Its also not relevant for Australia, which has levels of party loyalty in Parliament above literally every other country on earth.  The government were not defeated in the House of Commons on legislation for over 60 years, and in that time only a couple of procedural votes were lost.  And that was in the context of a Hung Parliament where the government didn't lose because of Coalition rebels but because of crossbench MPs.  So in Australia the quality of a major candidate candidate and their views literally means nothing as they'll never rebel from the party in any vote where it might cost the government the vote; and therefore you SHOULD base your vote on the overall party and its policies.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies