Sharp Rise in Anti-Semitic Attacks in Germany in 2018
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:55:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Sharp Rise in Anti-Semitic Attacks in Germany in 2018
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Sharp Rise in Anti-Semitic Attacks in Germany in 2018  (Read 778 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 21, 2019, 08:18:56 AM »
« edited: February 21, 2019, 08:28:41 AM by ¢®🅰ß 🦀 ©@k€ 🎂 »

https://www.timesofisrael.com/germany-anti-semitic-offenses-rise-sharply-in-2018-mostly-from-far-right/

https://www.haaretz.com/world-news/europe/in-germany-anti-semitic-crimes-up-10-percent-in-first-half-of-2018-1.6361150

More disturbing news. Mostly far right here, (349), while left-wing extremists carried out six, those with a religious ideology carried out nine and those with a "non-German, non-religious" ideology carried out 12 anti-Semitic crimes. Overall there were 1646 anti-semitic crimes last year, a steep rise (especially in terms of violent criminal acts) from 2017.

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 08:43:50 AM »

I believe I've read they're up in France and the UK too.  "Incidents" are up 57% in the US, but actual attacks are down 47%, and a lot of the increase in "incidents" was done by one sick Israeli teen.  cite - ADL
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 08:51:51 AM »

I believe I've read they're up in France and the UK too.  "Incidents" are up 57% in the US, but actual attacks are down 47%, and a lot of the increase in "incidents" was done by one sick Israeli teen.  cite - ADL

err, what?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 09:26:59 AM »

err, what?
did you miss this?[quote]An Israeli-American man was sentenced to 10 years in prison in Israel on Thursday for making about 2,000 hoax bomb threats that forced evacuations of Jewish community centers across the U.S. and planes to make emergency landings.

The threats were made by phone and email in 2016 and 2017, and raised concern at the time in the United States that anti-Semitism was on the rise.

<snip>

In passing sentence, the court said the defendant offered on the "dark web" — part of the Internet accessible only through special software — to make bomb and shooting threats for money, earning about $240,000 worth of the digital currency Bitcoin.

<snip>

The court in Tel Aviv had convicted Kadar of counts that included extortion, disseminating hoaxes in order to spread panic, money laundering and computer hacking over bomb and shooting threats against community centers, schools, shopping malls, police stations, airlines and airports in North America, Britain, Australia, New Zealand, Norway and Denmark.

"As a result of 142 telephone calls to airports and airlines, in which he said bombs had been planted in passenger planes or they would come under attack, aircraft were forced to make emergency landings and fighter planes were scrambled," the court said.

The Justice Department has said that in early 2017, Kadar made bomb threats against the Anti-Defamation League, a Jewish campaign group based in New York and the Israeli embassy in Washington, as well as threatening calls about bomb and gun attacks against Jewish community centers in Florida.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2019, 01:04:58 PM »

err, what?
did you miss this?
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Damn, what a nut.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2019, 02:59:50 PM »

https://www.timesofisrael.com/germany-anti-semitic-offenses-rise-sharply-in-2018-mostly-from-far-right/

https://www.haaretz.com/world-news/europe/in-germany-anti-semitic-crimes-up-10-percent-in-first-half-of-2018-1.6361150

More disturbing news. Mostly far right here, (349), while left-wing extremists carried out six, those with a religious ideology carried out nine and those with a "non-German, non-religious" ideology carried out 12 anti-Semitic crimes. Overall there were 1646 anti-semitic crimes last year, a steep rise (especially in terms of violent criminal acts) from 2017.

Well, and in more than a couple of these 20 foreigner/religious extremist cases (read: most likely Islamists and secular pro-Palestinian Arabs) it caused a huge public debate in the country, while the 350 far-right cases are more like background noice nobody seems to notice or care about any longer. Not that it makes it any less worse than a Arab does, but focus and priority of the debate is all f**ked up.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2019, 06:24:57 AM »

France 3 had to cut broadcast from recently attacked Jewish cemetary short because of how embarssingly racist the live comments were.

stay classy Frenchies
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2019, 06:59:49 AM »

What's behind the increase in far-right attacks? Like, for all the narrative the anti-semitism is increasing because of Muslim immigrant groups holding anti-semitic views... that is clearly only a part of what is driving it - antisemitism is clearly on the rise among "native" Europeans.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2019, 07:48:09 AM »
« Edited: February 22, 2019, 07:52:28 AM by DavidB. »

What's behind the increase in far-right attacks? Like, for all the narrative the anti-semitism is increasing because of Muslim immigrant groups holding anti-semitic views... that is clearly only a part of what is driving it - antisemitism is clearly on the rise among "native" Europeans.
Here in NL we've seen the far-right discourse change following the rise of the alt-right in America and the migration crisis in Europe. Antisemitic conspiracy theories are now so widespread on the internet on a scale that was unthinkable as recent as three years ago, and it's getting to the surface increasingly often. It affects (particularly young) people's opinions of Jews and has real-world consequences.

Given the "international" causes and the fact that the English-language internet is often the source of this, I'd expect other countries to be similarly affected by these developments. To be completely honest I don't think an incident like Pittsburgh would even be unthinkable here in Europe in the future if this continues.

Though I remember that I read that Germany tended to register a lot of incidents by Muslims as far-right, so I want to be cautious here. But I wouldn't in the slightest be surprised if these attacks really came from the far-right.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2019, 12:37:46 PM »

But I thought Americans were the most racist people in the West, especially compared to the utopian societies in Western Europe who are completely superior because they have faster trains?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies