KY-SUSA: Bevin at 27% approval/54% disapproval, worse in rurals than urban
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:55:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections
  2023 & Odd Year Gubernatorial Election Polls (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  KY-SUSA: Bevin at 27% approval/54% disapproval, worse in rurals than urban
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: KY-SUSA: Bevin at 27% approval/54% disapproval, worse in rurals than urban  (Read 2632 times)
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2019, 09:34:06 PM »

It's not hard to believe that Bevin is less popular in rural KY than elsewhere. Bevin isn't Donald Trump: he's a rich, status quo Republican who has targeted a whole host of services and programs that Kentuckians from all backgrounds (but particularly the poor and/or rural) rely on in order to save money for himself and his wealthy friends, while throwing out a bit of Trump-style pandering that is blatantly see-through. Rural KY is also much more ancestrally Democratic than the rest of the state, and Bevin was elected in a tough time for Democrats and against a weak Democratic candidate - he was NOT elected because people like him.

That of course doesn't mean that these areas will vote for a Democrat this year (see: OK-GOV 2018; almost an identical situation), but throwing out a poll because of this observation in Kentucky of all places is uncalled for right now.

lol

You're missing the point: that Trump has a persona and character that allows him to be seen differently, whereas Bevin is KY's Rick Scott and an obvious Ayn Rand clone. Donald Trump pretends to be different and is successful at it, while Bevin is not (and apparently from his behavior, doesn't care about the obviousness of it).
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2019, 09:55:22 PM »

A lot of people think Bevin has this in the bag because of Kentucky's partisan lean, but I truly believe that Beshear has a better than 50% chance of winning.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2019, 10:39:45 PM »

While I certainly wouldn't ignore the fact that much of voting especially now is driven by non-economic issues, it's pretty much a basic fact that vast majority of rural America is in perpetual decline and that goes double for coal country.  Ultimately it catches up with one in charge.  So, it's not any great surprise that Bevin's approval is poor in rural areas.  Of course, it's not like a D can magically make rural Kentucky relevant again, so whether they hate Bevin enough to go out and vote against him is an open question.
Pessimistic Antineutrino
Pessimistic Antineutrino
United States

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2019, 11:53:51 PM »

Not looking good at all. I still think he pulls it out by a fair bit bc this is Kentucky.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2019, 12:34:45 AM »

Umm... I think the democratic success in a ton of 80+% Trump seats (especially in eastern KY, Appalachian ancestral Dems back to save the day!) last year should have made this evident.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2019, 02:39:14 AM »

Is there a credible primary challenge? Wikipedia lists a state rep, but does the dude have a chance? A credible primary challenger might be more likely to bring him down than a Dem. I still have this as Likely R. But Bevin shouldn't take it for granted.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2019, 02:44:35 AM »

You're missing the point: that Trump has a persona and character that allows him to be seen differently, whereas Bevin is KY's Rick Scott and an obvious Ayn Rand clone. Donald Trump pretends to be different and is successful at it, while Bevin is not (and apparently from his behavior, doesn't care about the obviousness of it).

Oh I dont disagree with you but the voters are morons and Rick Scott just got elected to the Senate.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2019, 03:16:37 AM »

Safe R -> Safe R
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2019, 03:45:09 AM »

Oh I dont disagree with you but the voters are morons and Rick Scott just got elected to the Senate.

On that we agree!
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2019, 06:04:53 AM »

well hey not so fast. Who can remember all those corrupt politicians rationally thrown out by the voters of Illionis or those republicans in southern states thrown out by voters due to the high poverty rates? i think Bevin can lose if a gigantic fire wipes out the entire state except the urban areas and we must accomodate for that
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2019, 07:49:14 AM »

Not a good poll for Bevin, but I still expect for him to win. Kentucky has a lot of rural residents who will always pull the R lever.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2019, 07:54:45 AM »

Not a good poll for Bevin, but I still expect for him to win. Kentucky has a lot of rural residents who will always pull the R lever.

they vote R due to retail politics not because of R attached to name. the GOP's 100 page party platform is read by all and memorized by all voters of all times. As such...the bar mitzvahs and monster truck rallies in kentucky frequently feature talk of bullet points from GOP platform
LoneStarDem
United States
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2019, 04:12:32 PM »

I do remembered then-CA Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger (R) was unpopular back in 2005, only to come from the political dead to win reelection in landslide victory back in 2006.

Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies