What are Colorado Republicans path forward?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:35:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What are Colorado Republicans path forward?  (Read 1419 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 22, 2019, 10:55:54 PM »

scutosaurus
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 11:06:39 PM »

S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 11:06:58 PM »

2020:Help Gardner get reelected and hope that Trump loses reelection
2022:Then with Harris as President, nominate Cynthia Coffman and take down Jared Polis, also run Mike Coffman in the AG Race, also nominate Wayne Williams to defeat Michael Bennet
2024: Work to reelect Kamala Harris
2026: Reelect Sen. Gardner, Gov. Coffman, AG Coffman
2028: Work to reelect Wayne Williams and hope for a GOP wave victory after 8 years of Kamal Harris (pick up House seats in Denver suburbs)

If they can do half of this they have been successful
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 11:35:57 PM »

Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2019, 11:39:05 PM »

Telling the RNC not to waste any money there.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2019, 11:58:25 PM »

Wait for there to be an unpopular Democratic president.
Galeel
Oashigo
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2019, 12:27:32 AM »

Colorado is certainly a blue state, but not that blue. Acting like Republicans have no chance there is completely wrong. In 2018 we saw Republicans win in Maryland and Massachusetts, and Democrats win in Kansas. Republicans are certainly competitive in Colorado.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2019, 12:34:44 AM »

Colorado is certainly a blue state, but not that blue. Acting like Republicans have no chance there is completely wrong. In 2018 we saw Republicans win in Maryland and Massachusetts, and Democrats win in Kansas. Republicans are certainly competitive in Colorado.

Republicans nominated Baker and Hogan in Massachusetts and Maryland. Where are Bakers (or, at least, Hogans) in Colorado Republican party?
Galeel
Oashigo
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2019, 12:40:24 AM »

Republicans nominated Baker and Hogan in Massachusetts and Maryland. Where are Bakers (or, at least, Hogans) in Colorado Republican party?

I don't know. Someone could clearly come out of the woodwork, though. That's not my point. My point is that, even though Colorado is a blue state, Republicans can win in Blue states, and Democrats can win in red states. State elections are very different from federal elections, and voters are far less partisan in them. Acting like Republicans can't win in Colorado, when they currently have governors in Massachusetts, Maryland, and Vermont, and have, in the past ten years, had governors in Illinois, Hawaii, California, and New Jersey is crazy. Both parties can win statewide elections in almost every state.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2019, 01:10:43 AM »

I don't know. Someone could clearly come out of the woodwork, though. That's not my point. My point is that, even though Colorado is a blue state, Republicans can win in Blue states, and Democrats can win in red states. State elections are very different from federal elections, and voters are far less partisan in them. Acting like Republicans can't win in Colorado, when they currently have governors in Massachusetts, Maryland, and Vermont, and have, in the past ten years, had governors in Illinois, Hawaii, California, and New Jersey is crazy. Both parties can win statewide elections in almost every state.

Only with candidates tailored to state political traditions and views. Baker won not because he was a Republican (that was, probably, minus for some partisan voters), but because he was very moderate Republican with tons of crossover appeal among Indies and Democrats. The same, essentially, with Hogan. You can't win anything substantial in these states as Republican by rallying faithful only, there are simply not enough of them (the inverse situation exist in many Southern and some Mountain states). Hence my question (again) - WHERE are such candidates in Colorado Republican party?Huh I don't know even one with good crossover appeal...
Galeel
Oashigo
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2019, 11:47:21 AM »

Only with candidates tailored to state political traditions and views. Baker won not because he was a Republican (that was, probably, minus for some partisan voters), but because he was very moderate Republican with tons of crossover appeal among Indies and Democrats. The same, essentially, with Hogan. You can't win anything substantial in these states as Republican by rallying faithful only, there are simply not enough of them (the inverse situation exist in many Southern and some Mountain states). Hence my question (again) - WHERE are such candidates in Colorado Republican party?Huh I don't know even one with good crossover appeal...

I don't know. My point is not that a Republican victory in Colorado is imminent. My point is that Colorado is a state that Republicans can win in.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2019, 12:38:11 PM »

I don't know. My point is not that a Republican victory in Colorado is imminent. My point is that Colorado is a state that Republicans can win in.

Again - yes, but only with candidates tailor made for this state (read - moderate Republicans with crossover appeal). And where they are among present day Colorado candidates? I don't know any...
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2019, 03:49:50 PM »

Probably this tbh
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2019, 05:44:33 PM »

Telling the RNC not to waste any money there.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2019, 07:20:48 PM »

💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2019, 03:24:10 AM »

HI and CA were a decade ago and couldn't really happen again now. Most of the rest (MA, MD, NJ) were just capitalizing on off-year anti-President sentiment, which is why this post

is really the most realistic answer.

Another plausible path (totally outside the control of the CO GOP) is the national republican party unhitches itself from Trump and the party makes a serious, concerted effort to win over suburban voters without using culture wars issues as a crutch, which would take years to start seeing benefits and, lol, isn't likely to happen.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2019, 03:43:14 AM »

Not only that, but also an unpopular outgoing Democratic governor, a weak Democratic nominee and a moderate Republican nominee. That is exactly what happened in Massachusetts, Maryland and Vermont. It can happen, but it would definitely take a perfect storm.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2019, 07:46:56 AM »

Not only that, but also an unpopular outgoing Democratic governor, a weak Democratic nominee and a moderate Republican nominee. That is exactly what happened in Massachusetts, Maryland and Vermont. It can happen, but it would definitely take a perfect storm.

Yes. The problem is - there are much fewer moderate Republicans in Colorado, then in Massachusetts, Vermont or even Maryland..
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2019, 10:04:51 PM »

Start smoking pot in public.
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2019, 10:16:13 PM »

Move to Wyoming.
R.P. McM
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2019, 12:09:50 AM »

https://youtu.be/nLN36pgwS5o?t=43
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2019, 11:19:11 AM »

They could cheat but kind of hard when your not currently in power.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2019, 03:29:25 PM »

Yes. The problem is - there are much fewer moderate Republicans in Colorado, then in Massachusetts, Vermont or even Maryland..

Yeah, there was never a tradition of moderate or liberal Republicanism in Colorado the way there was on the East Coast. It was a party of conservative farmers, ranchers and oilmen because that is basically what Colorado was for most of the 20th century - a more scenic version of Wyoming.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2019, 08:58:50 PM »

They could cheat but kind of hard when your not currently in power.

It's nice to know that Republicans don't always have that option.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2019, 12:05:55 AM »

Dems will have a mandate, come 2020; however, but the SCOTUS is not liberal, its center right. Columbine affected CO, but WWC still are 2nd Amendment rights.

Bennett is up in 2022, the gun issue will be closely monitored in his Senate race.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies