Boobies coming to the Supremes?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:37:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Boobies coming to the Supremes?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Boobies coming to the Supremes?  (Read 1317 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 23, 2019, 08:52:53 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 05:44:42 PM »
« Edited: February 23, 2019, 05:48:15 PM by Frodo »

FF ruling.  

Seriously though, you cannot regard women's breasts as 'sexual organs' the way you would a penis or a vagina, unless you apply the same standard to men's breasts. 
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 05:21:54 PM »

oh excellent.

SC will probably come up with some BS reasoning to uphold it, but still keeping my fingers crossed on this one.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 05:56:42 PM »

FF ruling.  

Seriously though, you cannot regard women's breasts as 'sexual organs' the way you would a penis or a vagina, unless you apply the same standard to men's breasts. 
well, one is an object of attraction by the other sex and one isn't.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 06:07:49 PM »

FF ruling.  

Uh, men's naked upper bodies aren't objects of attraction for those attracted to men? What?
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2019, 09:01:29 PM »

FF ruling.  

Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2019, 09:16:14 PM »

FF ruling.  

Uh, men's naked upper bodies aren't objects of attraction for those attracted to men? What?
It isn't even close to the standing that a woman's breasts have in terms of how attractive she is considered to be. Abs are more commonly used to rate how attractive someone is in a male, from both males and females.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2019, 10:32:36 PM »

I see I have to explain myself:

Up until the 1930s, men's bare chests (in public spaces) were seen by polite society as being as obscene as women's bare chests are today.  Men were arrested and/or cited for not abiding by societal norms.  I am sure many of you have seen old-time photos of men wearing these rather strange bathing suits that cover much of their chest, like so:

It took protests and civil disobedience to finally change the law on it, and eventually society followed suit.  

I see no reason why the same should not also apply to women wishing to partake of the freedoms that men currently enjoy.  
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2019, 07:44:12 AM »

Nipple parity!
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2019, 12:14:28 PM »

The city had argued that the ordinance was justified because of the sexual nature of the female breast and because of concerns that bared breasts could lead to distracted driving and harm to children.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2019, 12:52:46 PM »

Yeah brah people should totally just chill, like to be honest I don't get people who have such a sexual attraction to women's nipples. I get being attracted to your SO's breasts but like just seeing a woman topless in a nonsexual situation? I don't get how that's sexual or whatever.

It's like, just really a self control thing.

The city had argued that the ordinance was justified because of the sexual nature of the female breast and because of concerns that bared breasts could lead to distracted driving and harm to children.

To be fair all those pale fat old guys who walk around shirtless are pretty distracting too when they are out and about, but more because they're hilarious/gross lmao
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2019, 10:18:58 AM »

I hope they're just suggesting that the distracted drivers might harm children and not that bare female adult human breasts might, because that would be silly.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2019, 03:13:12 PM »

I don't think that the handful of people who would take advantage of this would make any real substantial shift in society.

Seriously, how many women nationwide (not counting people who are nursing) are just counting the days down until they can walk around outside topless?

It strikes me as the sort of thing SCOTUS will give a thumbs up to and people will initially freak out and then people will notice that this basically almost never happens.

True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2019, 03:43:56 PM »

I thought most people agreed there already were 4 or 5 boobies on the Supremes depending on what their politics be.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2019, 05:24:13 PM »

I'd prefer if they extended the restriction to men as well. Put on a shirt damn it.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2019, 08:55:50 PM »

I hope they're just suggesting that the distracted drivers might harm children and not that bare female adult human breasts might, because that would be silly.

I really doubt that's what they meant. The concern that viewing a female breast could get a driver distracted is legitimate, but saying female breasts are harmful to children, while it's a societal norm, but I've never heard scientific support for that being harmful to children.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2019, 11:07:35 PM »

I'd prefer if they extended the restriction to men as well. Put on a shirt damn it.

Doing that would still be allowed even if the female-only ban was struck down.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2019, 08:39:58 AM »

What constitutes a "female" breast? What if someone who is female doesn't identify as female or someone who looks and is gendered as female has a sex of male? Its really complicated. I am sure that this Republican court will probably apply Bowers vs. Hardwick to EP cases and not just to privacy cases. They can say. "Hey. The appealee is technically right but these kind of laws are so grandfathered in and people have always just lived with them, so they are OK. If the apeallee doesn't like, they can vote in the city elections and run on "freeing the nipple".

Its a dumb law and the law should be struck down on principle but I would be comfortable if they came back and said that such laws are OK but this one in particular has to be rewritten but even then, no one is arguing that such a law is overly broad or vague though that is one argument I would have at least tried though I imagine 99% of the time it would be like "FFS, you know what it means! And that's that!"
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2019, 09:03:46 PM »

Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2019, 10:46:01 PM »

I don't think that the handful of people who would take advantage of this would make any real substantial shift in society.

Seriously, how many women nationwide (not counting people who are nursing) are just counting the days down until they can walk around outside topless?

It strikes me as the sort of thing SCOTUS will give a thumbs up to and people will initially freak out and then people will notice that this basically almost never happens.

At worst it becomes like the old naked people clique from SF's Castro District and drives the government into banning everyone from being shirtless Tongue
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2019, 11:04:43 PM »

I know women who'd probably go topless now and then if they were allowed to but not any who'd make a habit of it.

This does seem pretty patently discriminatory and, as others have said, if the government wants to keep banning toplessness after a SCOTUS ruling to that effect then they can always just ban it for everybody.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies