2019 CGA Conference: The Geography of Redistricting
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 09:39:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2019 CGA Conference: The Geography of Redistricting
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2019 CGA Conference: The Geography of Redistricting  (Read 1510 times)
Krago
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 24, 2019, 02:39:28 PM »

I found this conference on the Web last night.

https://gis.harvard.edu/event/2019-cga-conference-redistricting

(a) Is anyone planning to go?

(b) Is this just a Harvard undergrad thing, or is it the kind of conference that will draw people 'in the biz' from around the country?

(c) If it's just an undergrad thing, are there any conferences that do draw people interested in redistricting from around the U.S./world?
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2019, 03:24:22 PM »

I dunno, but since I am in Boston I will probably go. Checking out the form though does make it seem like its closed to no Harvard-types.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2019, 06:16:20 PM »

I dunno, but since I am in Boston I will probably go. Checking out the form though does make it seem like its closed to no Harvard-types.

There are "Non-Harvard" status on the registration form.

It then asks which Harvard professors you are working with.

It says that it is open to the General Public.

I would not interpret General Public to mean persons who have no affiliation with Harvard but are working with a Harvard Professor. That is a little too specific to be considered general.

The registration form is through Google Docs, and they may have failed to customize it for an event that was open to the public.

I submitted a registration, and will see how it goes.

I got an auto-repsonse.

There is a place for "additional message", which you might fill in.
Krago
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2019, 01:54:55 PM »

I successfully signed up for the conference.  See you both there.

In general, is there an annual conference or gathering in the US for people interested in political geography and redistricting?  An Atlas Forum Forum, as it were?
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 06:08:18 PM »

In general, is there an annual conference or gathering in the US for people interested in political geography and redistricting?  An Atlas Forum Forum, as it were?

I stumbled across this mailing list some time back. Most of the emails seem to be advertising positions at universities, calls for papers, or advertising conferences, although I've also seen a few emails come out with links to electoral results or electoral boundaries.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2019, 01:17:57 AM »

I stumbled across this mailing list some time back. Most of the emails seem to be advertising positions at universities, calls for papers, or advertising conferences, although I've also seen a few emails come out with links to electoral results or electoral boundaries.

I just noticed that you are posting again. Welcome back.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2019, 11:19:59 PM »

I just noticed that you are posting again. Welcome back.

Thank you. Not sure how long I'll be around, but I've been checking in approximately daily of late. It's good to be back, reading more than I write and not posting quite so prolifically as I once did, however.
Krago
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2019, 11:29:14 PM »

A friend and I will be making the trek from Toronto (or Buffalo, if it’s cheaper) to Harvard for the conference. But the price of hotel rooms in Boston (C$400+) has thrown us for a loop.

Can any Atlasians recommend decent accommodations in the Cambridge/Red Line area?  We would just need it for one night, Thursday, May 2.  Please PM me if you have any leads. Rob and I are past the age for couch-surfing, so we would need two beds.

Many thanks.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2019, 12:50:23 AM »
« Edited: March 19, 2019, 01:07:00 AM by cinyc »

A friend and I will be making the trek from Toronto (or Buffalo, if it’s cheaper) to Harvard for the conference. But the price of hotel rooms in Boston (C$400+) has thrown us for a loop.

Can any Atlasians recommend decent accommodations in the Cambridge/Red Line area?  We would just need it for one night, Thursday, May 2.  Please PM me if you have any leads. Rob and I are past the age for couch-surfing, so we would need two beds.

Many thanks.

Are you flying to Boston? If so, you might want to check out some of the hotels "near" the airport that have a shuttle to the terminals. Then, you can take the Silver Line to South Station and the Red Line to Cambridge. A quick search doesn't show that this option is much cheaper, though - at least for something that's better than a Comfort Inn.

If you rent a car, there are plenty of cheaper hotels in nearby suburbs, like Waltham. The total cost of renting a car and getting a cheaper hotel may or may not equal the cost of a more expensive hotel, though. And Boston traffic stinks. But if you're driving from Toronto anyway or have access to a car, that might be an option.

There is one hotel a stop or two on the Red Line away from Harvard Square called the Porter Square Hotel that's renting for about $250 US for that night. There's also a B&B on Hotels.com near Harvard for about the same price.
Krago
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2019, 08:57:59 PM »

Are there any Atlassians attending the CGA Redistricting Conference next week?

Please PM me, and we can go for a beer.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2019, 06:48:20 AM »

I really could go considering it's only a 35 minute drive for me.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2019, 04:05:09 PM »

For those interested I will be attending the conference on both days.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2019, 07:44:59 PM »

I am going to be there both days, but my schedule is more open on Friday.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2019, 07:18:47 AM »

I've decided I'll be going both days as well.   I feel like I'll be way out of my league though, but that's fine.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2019, 10:31:17 PM »

I realize we need to plan for global warming, but I think the folks who put out the Composite Gazetteer of Antarctica are getting ahead of themselves if they're already worrying about redistricting.  Devil
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2019, 06:49:48 PM »

It was okay today,  mostly talked about software design.   Maptitude, Districtbuilder, Districtr, autoredistrict, and Esri all had guest speakers.   Was more of a outline of what each application can do more than anything else.

I had to drive home in Boston's rush hour traffic though, that kinda sucked.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies