Which blue state legislatures are GOP likely to flip in 2020s/2030s?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:38:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Which blue state legislatures are GOP likely to flip in 2020s/2030s?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which state?
NY

NJ

DE

CT

RI

ME

IL

CA

CO

NM

HI

WA

OR

NV

VA?**

MD?**

Other state?

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 26

Author Topic: Which blue state legislatures are GOP likely to flip in 2020s/2030s?  (Read 862 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 24, 2019, 02:57:00 PM »

Regardless of political gerrymandering and political advantages, which blue state legislatures can you see Republicans flipping in the 2020s and 2030s?

I can honestly see CT, NJ and IL....three states with corruption, two blue states where voters don't like to pay high taxes but vote Democratic because the GOP is abysmal.

https://ballotpedia.org/Gubernatorial_and_legislative_party_control_of_state_government
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2019, 03:16:24 PM »

I can't imagine most of these legislatures every going for the GOP under the current alignment. Normally when voters are fed up with the Democratic party in these states they vote for a GOP governor, not GOP state legislators.
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2019, 03:30:21 PM »

The problem with New Jersey is that its very gerrymandered and it looks like it will only get worse (thanks to Sweeney and Coughlin)
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2019, 03:45:01 PM »

Except for the Southwest and a couple of the very most urban states elsewhere (HI/MA), it's usually easier for Republicans to control a legislative chamber than to win statewide with the current party coalitions.  Because of this, I would classify almost all of the legislatures Democrats still controlled in 2017 as safe for them for a long time.  Of this list, I think RI is by far the most likely to flip within 20 years because of the potential for a WV-style crack up of the ancestral party machine as the national party moves away from them ideologically. 

The next most likely is probably OR because the problem of geographic concentration of the Dem base in Portland is getting more acute.  Then I would put DE next because of the tight margins in the recent past and the possibility of a Dem collapse outside of Wilmington proper.  I don't see NJ or CT moving right much with the current coalitions.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2019, 04:02:41 PM »

Except for the Southwest and a couple of the very most urban states elsewhere (HI/MA), it's usually easier for Republicans to control a legislative chamber than to win statewide with the current party coalitions.  Because of this, I would classify almost all of the legislatures Democrats still controlled in 2017 as safe for them for a long time.  Of this list, I think RI is by far the most likely to flip within 20 years because of the potential for a WV-style crack up of the ancestral party machine as the national party moves away from them ideologically. 

The next most likely is probably OR because the problem of geographic concentration of the Dem base in Portland is getting more acute.  Then I would put DE next because of the tight margins in the recent past and the possibility of a Dem collapse outside of Wilmington proper.  I don't see NJ or CT moving right much with the current coalitions.

I could see a weakening for the Democrats in RI, but it's too urban for me to see a total collapse.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2019, 08:40:24 PM »

Obviously ME and NV followed by CO
Of Safe D states
CT and maybe IL, just because Dems have a bad name in those two states
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2019, 08:47:20 PM »

The Portland Metro makes up over 60% of Oregon's population,  and fast growing areas like Bend are trending left too.    Trump only won 10 State Senate districts in Oregon out of 30 and redistricting will only help Democrats more since all the growth is in the Urban areas.   

Oregon's legislatures could easily go to Supermajority D within 20 years.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2019, 09:22:12 PM »

The Portland Metro makes up over 60% of Oregon's population,  and fast growing areas like Bend are trending left too.    Trump only won 10 State Senate districts in Oregon out of 30 and redistricting will only help Democrats more since all the growth is in the Urban areas.   

Actually, it's more like 45% in Portland, but both chambers already are supermajority D, and they could only realistically lose a couple of D seats on the coast. Anyway, in 10 years, I fully expect Salem, Albany, Medford, and Bend to be voting 55%+ D, plus the already stratospheric levels in Portland, Eugene, and Corvallis. Where do new R votes come from? Coos Bay, LOL?
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2019, 10:16:14 PM »

Actually, it's more like 45% in Portland, but both chambers already are supermajority D, and they could only realistically lose a couple of D seats on the coast. Anyway, in 10 years, I fully expect Salem, Albany, Medford, and Bend to be voting 55%+ D, plus the already stratospheric levels in Portland, Eugene, and Corvallis. Where do new R votes come from? Coos Bay, LOL?

I didn't say "Portland" I said Portland Metro.  When I say supermajority I think 67%,  but 3/5th I guess is legally supermajority in Oregon.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2019, 11:18:45 PM »

I didn't say "Portland" I said Portland Metro.  When I say supermajority I think 67%,  but 3/5th I guess is legally supermajority in Oregon.
That is for the 3 county metro area. You have to subtract the parts in Washington if you want an accurate Oregon vote share.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2019, 12:26:18 AM »

Of these - probably Maine, but even that is not so likely.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2019, 04:04:05 PM »

I can see Colorado flipping before any of the others on the list.
LoneStarDem
United States
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2019, 04:22:16 PM »

CO is a deep Blue State & continuing it's blue trend.

ME: I do see the GOP flipping one or both chambers of the ME State Legislature.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies