Beto O’Rourke 2020 campaign megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:34:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Beto O’Rourke 2020 campaign megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 51
Author Topic: Beto O’Rourke 2020 campaign megathread  (Read 85805 times)
Bakersfield Uber Alles
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #475 on: March 16, 2019, 07:23:48 PM »

I think I am moving from Biden to Beto. That answer about his comments on his wife Amy was sincere and substantive. Hope to see more of that.

Most voters seem to like Beto a lot when they meet him in person- So he basically needs to meet a bit over 50K Iowa Voters & 50K NH voters between now and the caucus/primary, which he should definitely be able to do considering his campaign for Senate schedule. (I think 50K in each state is about 30% of the Dem vote- a percentage that would likely ensure a win).

This more or less. Won't be surprised if he's the first to make it to all 99 counties here. From a caucus perspective this helps him ensure viability in as many precincts as possible. He seems to be willing to show up just about anywhere so far.

I think Delaney already did, but no one cares about him. I’m hopeful that Beto will get to all 99 as well. Iowa is a very retail politics state, so looking at Beto’s run in 2018 gives me hope that he’ll do that again for Iowa, and NH if he has the chance.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #476 on: March 16, 2019, 10:06:59 PM »

SCNCmod

« Reply #477 on: March 16, 2019, 10:49:46 PM »
« Edited: March 16, 2019, 10:55:41 PM by SCNCmod »

what do you think is the deal with Beto's fundraising- and not releasing totals yet...

1) He was under $1 Million 1st day
2) He was around $1 Million, but wants to stand out so he's hoping his 5-day number will jump to  a more impressive number
3) Other?

...surely with some of the advisors/ campaign folks he's attracting, they can at least get enough donors to make for impressive 1st week numbers  (even if this slows a fair amount after week 1)
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.16, S: -1.74

P P

« Reply #478 on: March 16, 2019, 10:53:15 PM »

Fair answer. I wouldn't begrudge him picking an LGBT or non-white man; perhaps referencing those demographics specifically would've been a more effective response, but still.
SCNCmod

« Reply #479 on: March 16, 2019, 11:06:26 PM »

Fair answer. I wouldn't begrudge him picking an LGBT or non-white man; perhaps referencing those demographics specifically would've been a more effective response, but still.

Regardless who ends up being the nominee... I think there is a 100% chance a woman will be on the ticket this time- and 98% chance there will be a minority on the ticket.

Beto would probably pick Kamala, unless she really underperforms in the primaries.  Although I personally think if he were to win- his team should definitely consider Doubling down on the border state ticket with NM Gov Lujan Grisham/ the 1st Latina to ever be on a presidential ticket (which would likely be a very strong ticket for AZ, FL, and taking a stab at TX, b/c I think Beto will put enough time in WI & MI to win those two regardless of who he chose for VP).
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #480 on: March 16, 2019, 11:17:54 PM »

Does anyone think Tammy Baldwin or Tammy Duckworth are good picks?

If it weren't for the fact that she's barely into her first term, I think Gretchen Whitmer would be an excellent pick.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #481 on: March 17, 2019, 12:02:40 AM »

If it weren't for the fact that she's barely into her first term, I think Gretchen Whitmer would be an excellent pick.

I think Duckworth. I hate listing boxes people check but I do think she could add gravitas to Beto’s candidacy while also not being someone who is hungry to be POTUS themselves. That’s what would happen with Harris.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #482 on: March 17, 2019, 12:04:09 AM »

I think Duckworth. I hate listing boxes people check but I do think she could add gravitas to Beto’s candidacy while also not being someone who is hungry to be POTUS themselves. That’s what would happen with Harris.

I think O’Rourke/Warren is the best ticket, to kinda mirror Kennedy/Johnson.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #483 on: March 17, 2019, 12:16:05 AM »

I think O’Rourke/Warren is the best ticket, to kinda mirror Kennedy/Johnson.
Beto/Warren would be terrible ticket.

Also, comparing them to JFK & LBJ is laughable.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #484 on: March 17, 2019, 12:42:39 AM »

Panhandle Progressive
politicaljunkie
United States

« Reply #485 on: March 17, 2019, 08:17:19 AM »

The two most important states in 2020 will be Florida & Wisconsin. If Beto were to become the nominee I'd like to see him pick the man who came within half a percent of winning the race for governor of Florida, Andrew Gillum. Together, they would comprise a talented (and both youthful and highly energetic) team. Of course, the primary thing lacking on this ticket would be a woman. Amendment 4 (Voting Rights Restoration) having been passed and now implemented in Florida, could create a situation where a narrow loss in '18 becomes a narrow win in '20. Beto would need to constantly campaign in Wisconsin and Gillum would need to double down on Florida. WINNING EITHER STATE SHOULD BE ENOUGH (OVER 270 ELECTORS) TO SEND THEM TO THE WHITE HOUSE. YOUTHFUL AND ENERGETIC DEM TICKETS WIN!
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #486 on: March 17, 2019, 10:44:13 AM »

The two most important states in 2020 will be Florida & Wisconsin. If Beto were to become the nominee I'd like to see him pick the man who came within half a percent of winning the race for governor of Florida, Andrew Gillum. Together, they would comprise a talented (and both youthful and highly energetic) team. Of course, the primary thing lacking on this ticket would be a woman. Amendment 4 (Voting Rights Restoration) having been passed and now implemented in Florida, could create a situation where a narrow loss in '18 becomes a narrow win in '20. Beto would need to constantly campaign in Wisconsin and Gillum would need to double down on Florida. WINNING EITHER STATE SHOULD BE ENOUGH (OVER 270 ELECTORS) TO SEND THEM TO THE WHITE HOUSE. YOUTHFUL AND ENERGETIC DEM TICKETS WIN!
Andrew Gillum had absolutely no business losing Florida and his opponent was a clown. Beto needs to pick a woman Senator from the Mid-West or one of the Latinas (Senate or Gov) from the Sun Belt.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #487 on: March 17, 2019, 11:05:39 AM »

Baldwins seat probably flips in a D president midterm so she should be avoided. Duckworth's seat is almost perfectly safe and even it does flip the GOP incumbent would be a one termer.

For the D's duckworth basically checks every box they want
Female
Veteran
Minority
Wounded
Comes from Midwest.
Medal506
United States

« Reply #488 on: March 17, 2019, 12:45:46 PM »

Oh boy.

Who does he take from? Harris? Sanders? People undecided between them?

He'll probably take away from some of the millennial/gen z vote from Bernie Sanders.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #489 on: March 17, 2019, 02:25:06 PM »

The party of inclusivity. Purple heart

libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #490 on: March 17, 2019, 02:31:59 PM »

Well, the GOP's already burned through other racial dog whistles so many times.  Looks like they now have to resort to attacking those of Irish descent.

If Andrew Cuomo runs for President, I wonder if they'll depict him as a mafia boss?
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #491 on: March 17, 2019, 02:59:31 PM »

Oh boy.

Who does he take from? Harris? Sanders? People undecided between them?

He'll probably take away from some of the millennial/gen z vote from Bernie Sanders.

clearly those voters are very smart people who are gonna vote on how liberal their candidate is and not stupid stuff like how relatable or cool the candidate is. Why would they vote for Beto over Sanders?
/s

henster
YaBB God

« Reply #492 on: March 17, 2019, 03:40:41 PM »

If Beto keeps apologizing for everything then it's going to be hard for me to support him. I really need a candidate with a backbone who isn't just going to give in to every outrage mob out there. How ridiculous is it that he apologized for making a joke about his wife?
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #493 on: March 17, 2019, 03:57:03 PM »

Picking Gillum would be a good way to ensure Trump wins Florida.
Panhandle Progressive
politicaljunkie
United States

« Reply #494 on: March 17, 2019, 04:11:00 PM »

Just because you say it, doesn't make it true.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #495 on: March 17, 2019, 04:20:25 PM »

Gillum couldn't win FL in a D+9 year against a man who ran one of the most inept campaigns in history and very likely caused the Democrats to lose yet another Senate seat.

Pence, OTOH, is a very competent VP candidate, and won't make the same mistakes DeSantis did.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #496 on: March 17, 2019, 04:34:09 PM »

Gillum couldn't win FL in a D+9 year against a man who ran one of the most inept campaigns in history and very likely caused the Democrats to lose yet another Senate seat.

Pence, OTOH, is a very competent VP candidate, and won't make the same mistakes DeSantis did.

DeSantis wasn't that inept. And pretty much everyone besides Nikki Fried lost, which in retrospect suggests more against Matt Caldwell who couldn't keep in line with the constant R+3 bias cloud, while everyone else did.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #497 on: March 17, 2019, 05:20:36 PM »

Attacking Beto and his drunk driving issues is fine, but bringing his heritage into it, not so much. Very typical, GOP party leadership continuing to be gutter garbage as usual.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #498 on: March 17, 2019, 05:43:27 PM »

Attacking Beto and his drunk driving issues is fine, but bringing his heritage into it, not so much. Very typical, GOP party leadership continuing to be gutter garbage as usual.

His Irish heritage wouldn't be notable if he didn't try to pass himself off as Hispanic via a nickname which was intentionally contrived to make him more electable in El Paso:

In the backdrop of the city's multicultural community, his father, Pat O'Rourke, a consummate politician, once explained why he nicknamed his son Beto: Nicknames are common in Mexico and along the border, and if he ever ran for office in El Paso, the odds of being elected in this mostly Mexican-American city were far greater with a name like Beto than Robert Francis O'Rourke.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #499 on: March 17, 2019, 05:45:02 PM »

His Irish heritage wouldn't be notable if he didn't try to pass himself off as Hispanic via a nickname which was intentionally contrived to make him more electable in El Paso:

In the backdrop of the city's multicultural community, his father, Pat O'Rourke, a consummate politician, once explained why he nicknamed his son Beto: Nicknames are common in Mexico and along the border, and if he ever ran for office in El Paso, the odds of being elected in this mostly Mexican-American city were far greater with a name like Beto than Robert Francis O'Rourke.

So he's not supposed to use the name he's used his entire life?
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 51  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies