Beto O’Rourke 2020 campaign megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:09:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Beto O’Rourke 2020 campaign megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 51
Author Topic: Beto O’Rourke 2020 campaign megathread  (Read 85817 times)
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #550 on: March 18, 2019, 09:58:15 AM »

This is what essentially will help him. Policy doesn’t matter. All the old people who watch the news on loop everyday are going to vote based on what they see and who they perceive as popular. The rantings of some candidate’s followers on Reddit and Twitter about being owned by big oil and Wall Street are not going to move the needle in a primary that will be plurality people over the age of 50. LOL.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #551 on: March 18, 2019, 09:58:54 AM »

Anyway, good for Beto.

I’m still very confused by the fact that he’s running to the right after building up a progressive image of himself, and why most of his support from here is from right wingers. Maybe we’ll get some clarity during the debates.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #552 on: March 18, 2019, 10:11:08 AM »

O'Rourke is good-looking, charismatic, a great public speaker, young, etc. All these things matter more to most swing voters than actual policy positions or voting records. Lmao, Jon Tester literally ran ads here talking about his barber and tractor.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #553 on: March 18, 2019, 10:18:50 AM »

Looks like RFKFan can change his name/sig.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #554 on: March 18, 2019, 10:22:08 AM »

This is what essentially will help him. Policy doesn’t matter. All the old people who watch the news on loop everyday are going to vote based on what they see and who they perceive as popular. The rantings of some candidate’s followers on Reddit and Twitter about being owned by big oil and Wall Street are not going to move the needle in a primary that will be plurality people over the age of 50. LOL.

Upon visiting my parents last weekend, it appeared FOX News is covering Beto non stop and trying to make him a bogeyman. Seems pretty stupid of them to heighten him up out of the mid tier if you ask me

Basically the equivalent of CNN’s coverage of Trump I guess.
Sherrod Brown Shill
NerdFighter40351
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -6.43

« Reply #555 on: March 18, 2019, 10:36:30 AM »

I was just listening to Richard Branson's "Dividend Plan" (his alternative idea to a carbon tax)...

Since a Carbon Tax is so unpopular ... "{A dividend on the other hand, Branson argues, would have some key advantages over such a tax: companies would get their money back by investing the dividend in emerging “low carbon fuels and other breakthrough technologies.” They would also open up “millions of new jobs,” making both the public and governments happy through driving fuel prices down and boosting the economy.}"

This would be something good for Beto to support.

Isn't a carbon dividend just a revenue neutral carbon tax, but with payments instead of tax cuts elseware? If we ever do a carbon tax this is probably what it will be.

I think rather than paying a tax- the companies are required to put that money into fund exploring clean energy (which they maintain control of and which they will receive any dividends that result from this investment)... so its sort of a different way that will be a lot more popular with companies and is a way to increase investment clean energy, etc. ... which is a different take on a carbon tax than the plans that are usually mentioned.

Maybe there are some plans like that but the most notable dividend plan is not that. https://energyinnovationact.org/how-it-works/
SCNCmod

« Reply #556 on: March 18, 2019, 11:06:58 AM »

Upon visiting my parents last weekend, it appeared FOX News is covering Beto non stop and trying to make him a bogeyman. Seems pretty stupid of them to heighten him up out of the mid tier if you ask me

This is how I keep tabs on the Trump/Fox voter... via my grandparents (who are Romney-McCain-Trump voters) and my mom who is somehow an Obama-Trump voter who migrated to only watching Fox (Never CNN or MSNBC anymore).  Luckily my dad is still sane!

My mom has actually voted for the winner in every presidential election since she could vote (the fact that she began supporting Trump over Hillary is the only thing that had me slightly worried that Hillary may loose... Logic told me there was no way.. but I also knew that my mom was that sort of 5% in the middle voter- who understands policy, yet still tends to simply vote for who they like the most) that almost always decides elections ... Reagan-Bush-Clinton-Clinton-Bush-Bush-Obama-Obama-Trump  ... So it will be interesting to see what she thinks of Beto if he ends up getting the nomination.  That said- this 5% (often rural voter) that has decided many past elections is maybe becoming less of a predictor as some states begin to shift demographics. (mom is in NC, which Trump will probably win regardless of the nominee.  But I think WI-MI-PA-AZ-FL will be decided based on the nominee & likely will vote Dem, certainly if Beto is the nominee.. IMO).
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #557 on: March 18, 2019, 12:07:44 PM »
« Edited: March 18, 2019, 12:10:54 PM by RussFeingoldWasRobbedk »

I could care less how much he raised. He's a sell out plain and simple. He most likely never supported single payer and only did it to attract an audience. I would vote Harris over him at this point, I'm not kidding!!!!! She's not perfect either but at least she's mostly running as an actual progressive.
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #558 on: March 18, 2019, 12:40:06 PM »

I could care less how much he raised. He's a sell out plain and simple. He most likely never supported single payer and only did it to attract an audience. I would vote Harris over him at this point, I'm not kidding!!!!! She's not perfect either but at least she's mostly running as an actual progressive.
Oh, now money raised doesn't matter? Got it.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #559 on: March 18, 2019, 01:19:34 PM »

That's not the point..... I do like that he doesn't take money from donors and is able to fundraise well without having to do that. But other then that, Beto sucks. Here's a guy who literally ran to the left when he was running for the senate in a RED STATE and now all of a sudden he's disavowed that, and you expect me to believe him? And second of all, I'm supporting Gillibrand this time, not Bernie(he really is too old), so your whole strawman is nonsense.
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #560 on: March 18, 2019, 01:24:14 PM »

That's not the point..... I do like that he doesn't take money from donors and is able to fundraise well without having to do that. But other then that, Beto sucks. Here's a guy who literally ran to the left when he was running for the senate in a RED STATE and now all of a sudden he's disavowed that, and you expect me to believe him? And second of all, I'm supporting Gillibrand this time, not Bernie(he really is too old), so your whole strawman is nonsense.
Gillibrand will be out by New Hampshire, so..
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #561 on: March 18, 2019, 01:55:22 PM »

Ill vote for Beto....but he'd better pack the SCOTUS
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #562 on: March 18, 2019, 02:47:22 PM »

Endorsed.

x Illiniwek
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #563 on: March 18, 2019, 02:58:00 PM »

Yeah. If he's still around by the time my primary state (will be Texas) rolls around, I'll probably vote in the Dem primary for him. Otherwise, Sanders (against my better judgment).
I'm not sure if presidents declaring emergencies and packing courts is a good idea..............
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #564 on: March 18, 2019, 03:00:09 PM »

Beto (along with Biden) is probably the least likely to court pack.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #565 on: March 18, 2019, 03:00:41 PM »

Yeah. If he's still around by the time my primary state (will be Texas) rolls around, I'll probably vote in the Dem primary for him. Otherwise, Sanders (against my better judgment).
I'm not sure if presidents declaring emergencies and packing courts is a good idea..............

This country hasnt been the same since this god awful Roberts court took GOD out of the campaign finance laws
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #566 on: March 18, 2019, 03:01:49 PM »

Beto might be the most repulsive person running, though it's hard to beat Booker at that game.
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #567 on: March 18, 2019, 03:18:40 PM »

This country hasnt been the same since this god awful Roberts court took GOD out of the campaign finance laws
Okay,

You do realize that Republicans will have an excuse to pack the courts once they are in power, right?
SCNCmod

« Reply #568 on: March 18, 2019, 03:28:33 PM »

Okay,

You do realize that Republicans will have an excuse to pack the courts once they are in power, right?

At the very least- assuming RBG holds on 2 years... I certainly want Beto nominating the next SC Justice rather than Trump. Not to mention the 100s of lower court judges.
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #569 on: March 18, 2019, 03:33:31 PM »

Okay,

At the very least- assuming RBG holds on 2 years... I certainly want Beto nominating the next SC Justice rather than Trump. Not to mention the 100s of lower court judges.
Of course.
SCNCmod

« Reply #570 on: March 18, 2019, 03:35:48 PM »

It will be really interesting to see how much of a jump Beto gets in polls taken this week. his fundraising numbers are likely to give him more of a bump than he got from his announcement.  His team was smart to delay the numbers- it lowered expectation only to then far exceed them.  The big numbers also reinforce his electability argument a bit (the ability to create excitement, energize voters, etc).
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #571 on: March 18, 2019, 03:42:25 PM »

Guess we found Atlas' guy for the next year-and-a-half.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #572 on: March 18, 2019, 03:44:31 PM »

All the True Leftist hate towards Beto must mean he is doing something right.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #573 on: March 18, 2019, 04:07:21 PM »

He's freaking relentless.

CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #574 on: March 18, 2019, 04:12:17 PM »

I can see him hitting up all of Iowa's 99 counties before summer is over.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 51  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies