Beto O’Rourke 2020 campaign megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 04:52:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Beto O’Rourke 2020 campaign megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 ... 51
Author Topic: Beto O’Rourke 2020 campaign megathread  (Read 86715 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #825 on: March 30, 2019, 03:13:14 PM »

Not a bad speech, good crowd. Texas is finally making its mark!
Some of My Best Friends Are Gay
Enlightened_Centrist 420
YaBB God

« Reply #826 on: March 30, 2019, 03:16:39 PM »

While I don't think crowd sizes can predict results, I do think that the candidate with larger crowd sizes is more likely to outperform their polling numbers, thus why I think Sanders may have a bigger advantage in some states than the polls suggest, and why Beto is probably in a stronger position than he appears to be in the polls.

I think both O'Rourke and Sanders will be in the final three, although I'm not sure which one wins or who the third candidate will be (Harris?).
Bumaye

« Reply #827 on: March 30, 2019, 03:19:35 PM »

Facebook event RSVPs:

El Paso - 1.8K going + 4.5K interested = 6.3K
Per his communications director:

No offense but that's less than what I expected. It's his home city after all. It is decent, I don't wanna dismiss anything, I heavily supported him against the Zodiac Killer and he was one of the most interesting characters of the midterms to me, but with all the buzz about him I expected BernieHarris numbers (15k-20k).
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #828 on: March 30, 2019, 03:49:41 PM »

Eh...I expect him to have bigger numbers in Austin and Houston, I guess. But El Paso itself is a nice-sized city. I definitely expected more.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #829 on: March 30, 2019, 04:11:44 PM »

Eh...I expect him to have bigger numbers in Austin and Houston, I guess. But El Paso itself is a nice-sized city. I definitely expected more.

El Paso is much larger than Oakland.

I mean to be fair the San Francisco metropolitan area is 5 million whereas El Paso's is 800,000.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #830 on: March 30, 2019, 05:21:45 PM »

The rally was on one street downtown, facing the border.  It wasn’t an open space.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #831 on: March 30, 2019, 05:35:28 PM »

El Paso is also - despite its relatively large size - basically an island of isolation. The closest areas of any size are Albuquerque, Odessa and Tucson (all ~250 mi away). There's just nothing anywhere close to the city outside of its immediate metro area.

Additionally, El Paso can only have voters travel to see candidates from 3 directions instead of the usual 4 - I doubt many Mexican citizens are going to bother to come to a US campaign rally.

Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #832 on: March 30, 2019, 06:17:20 PM »

Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #833 on: March 30, 2019, 06:18:10 PM »

The rally was on one street downtown, facing the border.  It wasn’t an open space.

This. Plus add all the people watching in watch parties.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #834 on: March 30, 2019, 06:19:41 PM »

Should I join team Beto or team Bernie? I am undecided between the two. I could see myself being a Bernie bro or a Beto bro.
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #835 on: March 30, 2019, 06:23:44 PM »

I’m here rn. Doesn’t seem like 10k but I’m not in charge!
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #836 on: March 30, 2019, 06:30:52 PM »

Should I join team Beto or team Bernie? I am undecided between the two. I could see myself being a Bernie bro or a Beto bro.

Why not wait for the debates?  You don't have to decide right away.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #837 on: March 30, 2019, 11:19:19 PM »

SCNCmod

« Reply #838 on: March 30, 2019, 11:53:39 PM »
« Edited: March 31, 2019, 12:05:50 AM by SCNCmod »

Having a combined 30,000 for the 3 rallys is definitely a strong showing.  (granted I was optimistic or maybe naively expecting slightly higher numbers at the Austin Rally- but I guess timing is always a small factor- picking a time and date that will max out attendance, which is hard to accurately predict).

Hopefully these rally's will get decent coverage on Sunday shows.  But it seems like some of the cable media is almost forcing Beto to come on their shows in order to get good coverage (by not covering much of the rallies, egging on about lack of specifics, etc etc)....hich maybe what he has to start doing.  The rallys are especially good for early states & small states- but going on the cable show will help reach broader audience (and help gain more small dollar donors across the country).

---Or another strategy could be to continue slowly gaining wider grassroots support via rallies (while most candidates have to rely on Cable News town halls, going of shows, etc to gain supporters)...
Then start doing the media blitz in a couple of months when he has nailed down all of his policy specifics- and really try to break out of the pack at just the right time. 

Not sure which strategy would work the best?
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #839 on: March 31, 2019, 04:39:46 AM »

Having a combined 30,000 for the 3 rallys is definitely a strong showing.  (granted I was optimistic or maybe naively expecting slightly higher numbers at the Austin Rally- but I guess timing is always a small factor- picking a time and date that will max out attendance, which is hard to accurately predict).

Hopefully these rally's will get decent coverage on Sunday shows.  But it seems like some of the cable media is almost forcing Beto to come on their shows in order to get good coverage (by not covering much of the rallies, egging on about lack of specifics, etc etc)....hich maybe what he has to start doing.  The rallys are especially good for early states & small states- but going on the cable show will help reach broader audience (and help gain more small dollar donors across the country).

---Or another strategy could be to continue slowly gaining wider grassroots support via rallies (while most candidates have to rely on Cable News town halls, going of shows, etc to gain supporters)...
Then start doing the media blitz in a couple of months when he has nailed down all of his policy specifics- and really try to break out of the pack at just the right time. 

Not sure which strategy would work the best?

Not to sound like some stupid pundit, but I think winning grassroots support will pay off for him in the end. He obviously is planning something along the lines of his Senate campaign, just on a national scale. He doesn't have the major star power someone like Harris or Sanders does. Those two will always pull in massive attention.

That said, he could use the rallies to unveil his key planks, which may actually kill the three bbirds of grassroots support, media attention and policy specifics all in one. That would be the approach I'd take.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #840 on: April 01, 2019, 04:02:46 AM »

Not to sound like some stupid pundit, but I think winning grassroots support will pay off for him in the end. He obviously is planning something along the lines of his Senate campaign, just on a national scale. He doesn't have the major star power someone like Harris or Sanders does. Those two will always pull in massive attention.

That said, he could use the rallies to unveil his key planks, which may actually kill the three bbirds of grassroots support, media attention and policy specifics all in one. That would be the approach I'd take.

LoL yeah that must explain why he raised more money in 24 hours after his announcement than your candidate did. And how tonedeaf are you to say that he doesn't have star power? I thought that was you BernieBros' only line of attack on him was that he has too much celebrity power. Which is it?

To say that Kamala has star power but Beto doesn't sounds to me like #AlternativeFacts. Kamala is so overrated.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #841 on: April 01, 2019, 05:23:10 AM »

LoL yeah that must explain why he raised more money in 24 hours after his announcement than your candidate did. And how tonedeaf are you to say that he doesn't have star power? I thought that was you BernieBros' only line of attack on him was that he has too much celebrity power. Which is it?

To say that Kamala has star power but Beto doesn't sounds to me like #AlternativeFacts. Kamala is so overrated.

Can we not do the HRC-Bernie thing again? Please? No need to tear down other candidates to make yours seem better. Beto and Kamala are both great.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #842 on: April 01, 2019, 10:26:32 AM »

https://www.texastribune.org/2019/03/30/beto-orourke-signed-this-pledge-oil-money-did-he-break-it/
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #843 on: April 01, 2019, 10:44:27 AM »

If you don’t count ‘watch parties’ for other candidates it’s stupid to count them for Beto. That’s basically “count one city for other candidates, and the entire county for Beto”. It’s already dumb enough to compare turnout in one city to three like people are doing here.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #844 on: April 01, 2019, 10:58:16 AM »

If you don’t count ‘watch parties’ for other candidates it’s stupid to count them for Beto. That’s basically “count one city for other candidates, and the entire county for Beto”. It’s already dumb enough to compare turnout in one city to three like people are doing here.

I'm not sure that other candidates had an organized watch party system like Beto had.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #845 on: April 01, 2019, 11:40:21 AM »

I'm not sure that other candidates had an organized watch party system like Beto had.

It’s still comparing apples and oranges.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #846 on: April 01, 2019, 11:51:13 AM »

I'm glad he is taking contributions from people who work in all industries. Going to a carbon neutral future is going to require working with the oil and gas industry.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #847 on: April 01, 2019, 02:25:58 PM »

P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96