Senate Confirmation Hearing: 118AZ for Attorney General (Confirmed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:44:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Senate Confirmation Hearing: 118AZ for Attorney General (Confirmed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Senate Confirmation Hearing: 118AZ for Attorney General (Confirmed)  (Read 1038 times)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 01, 2019, 07:56:59 PM »
« edited: March 10, 2019, 11:45:15 AM by Lumine »

Quote from: Executive Order 47-001
Executive Order
Nomination of cabinet officials

Peebs is hereby retained as Registrar General and Secretary of Federal Elections.
WXTransit is hereby retained as Secretary of State.
Ninja is hereby retained as Secretary of Internal Affairs.
RPryor is dismissed as Attorney General. 118AZ is hereby appointed Attorney General.

X President Tmthforu94

The nominee has 24 hours to make an opening statement.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2019, 09:35:32 PM »

Greetings Honourable Senators

I stand here honoured at this opportunity to serve our game and country in the capacity of Attorney General. To me being AG means enforcing the law no matter what we want it to be or whether we like the consequences of appropriate enforcement. To me enforcing the law is enforcing what the law is and not what we want it to be. As AG I would review and come to legal decisions fully independent of both the President and Federalist Party. An example of the above is my investigation into Lfromnj deleted ballot before coming to the decision to rule his ballot invalid determining the Lincoln senate race a tie. This was despite my support of LouisvilleThunder.

As Attorney General I would be available to answer any legal questions citizens and fellow office holders may have. My office would also be there to investigate alleged criminal behaviour as well as defend laws of the federal government in a legal challenge. I certainly won’t be defending a law I feel clearly violates the constitution though.

I am open to any and all questions you may have. I hope to earn your support to become the next Atlasia Attorney General.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2019, 10:00:06 PM »

I endorse the confirmation of this Nominee
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2019, 10:07:05 PM »

72 hours to question the nominee.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2019, 01:16:54 AM »

In the past there have been concerns raised about the Attorney General holding office in both the legislative branch as well in regional government. Independent justice department is vitally important and you have touched on that in terms of partisanship and the Presidency, but what about in terms of difference branches and different levels of government? Throughout history most cases pertained either to elections, the regions, or the constitutionality of laws passed by he legislative branch. Therefore service in any one of these may indeed serve as a conflict of interest.

Will you refrain from service in such capacities for the duration of your term as Attorney General? If not, what steps will you take to safeguard the efficacy of the Department of Justice should a case arrive that has a conflict of interest involved.

Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2019, 02:03:12 AM »

In the past there have been concerns raised about the Attorney General holding office in both the legislative branch as well in regional government. Independent justice department is vitally important and you have touched on that in terms of partisanship and the Presidency, but what about in terms of difference branches and different levels of government? Throughout history most cases pertained either to elections, the regions, or the constitutionality of laws passed by he legislative branch. Therefore service in any one of these may indeed serve as a conflict of interest.

Will you refrain from service in such capacities for the duration of your term as Attorney General? If not, what steps will you take to safeguard the efficacy of the Department of Justice should a case arrive that has a conflict of interest involved.

I am certainly still open to running in the near future and would rescue my self from any situation that could pose a conflict of interest. I don’t view it as something that should be avoided at all costs however safeguards to protect against potential conflicts of interest are still advisable. As an example an Attorney General would have to rescue themselves from investigating irregularities in their own election or  not give opinions on the constitutionality they sponsor. We all have our own political opinions and preferences both voting wise and policy wise and we certainly can’t prevent this from happening. Even if a person doesn’t run for office or introduce legislation they’ll still care about whom is elected or what legislation passes, so   regardless of  what controls you have are still going to have potential threats to independence. Instead it’s important we pick people with a strong record of independence to serve as AG while having a couple basic safeguards such as the ones listed above.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2019, 06:05:42 AM »

As it stands now, the office of Attorney General is tasked with justice in the country. However, court cases aren't all that common. According to the wiki, 2018 saw only 7 court cases. 2017 saw even less, with only 2 Supreme court cases.

Do you have any plans to make the office of Attorney General more involved in the day to day running of the government? What are your plans for your tenure as Attorney General?
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2019, 01:09:50 PM »

As it stands now, the office of Attorney General is tasked with justice in the country. However, court cases aren't all that common. According to the wiki, 2018 saw only 7 court cases. 2017 saw even less, with only 2 Supreme court cases.

Do you have any plans to make the office of Attorney General more involved in the day to day running of the government? What are your plans for your tenure as Attorney General?
Well I certainly don’t want to speculate on the amount of court cases will have in the near future though certainly isn’t many historically in a year. Besides representing Atlasia in any court cases that come up and investigating credible allegations of criminal activity I will be here to both advise congress, regions and citizens on any legal questions.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2019, 02:54:25 PM »

What's your take on federal antitrust law?

Also do you believe the seemingly forgotten Constitutional textual powers about patents, copyrights, immigration, bankruptcies, bureaucracies, jurisdiction stripping, means that all federal laws on those subjects are null and void?
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2019, 06:20:27 PM »

Well I certainly don’t want to speculate on the amount of court cases will have in the near future though certainly isn’t many historically in a year. Besides representing Atlasia in any court cases that come up and investigating credible allegations of criminal activity I will be here to both advise congress, regions and citizens on any legal questions.
To add to that I will also be working with the President on drone regulations and discord regulations. I will also play a role in advising the administration on constitutional amendments to ensure consistency with the rest of the constitution.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2019, 11:50:07 PM »

Thank you for joining us here today.

Mr. AZ, based on your previous statements, you seem to believe that it’s okay for the Attornet General to also hold positions in the regional governments. If I’m mischaractetizing your views please correct me, but you said, and I quote “I don’t view it as something that should be avoided at all costs.” Would you like to elaborate or clarify this atatement at all.

Furthermore, how can Atlasians know you’re not using this position to further future electoral prospects?
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2019, 02:27:58 AM »

Thank you for joining us here today.

Mr. AZ, based on your previous statements, you seem to believe that it’s okay for the Attornet General to also hold positions in the regional governments. If I’m mischaractetizing your views please correct me, but you said, and I quote “I don’t view it as something that should be avoided at all costs.” Would you like to elaborate or clarify this atatement at all.

Furthermore, how can Atlasians know you’re not using this position to further future electoral prospects?
Yes that’s correct, we have seen others serve as both AG and elected office with no issues such as Harry S Truman being Fremont FM and AG. Ultimately as long as the Attorney General takes appropriate safeguards than it shouldn’t be a problem for them to have multiple positions. I can assure you that I have always separated my partisan affiliation from actions in upholding our laws and being a good public servant. As election admin for Lincoln all ballots were counted in an accurate and efficient manner while as Attorny General I took all complaints seriously no matter the source; while coming to a fair and accurate conclusion independent of my own political beliefs.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2019, 07:25:17 AM »

What is your opinion of the Supreme Court justices?
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2019, 12:00:04 PM »

What is your opinion of the Supreme Court justices?
I have great respect for the courts authority and decisions they comes to.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2019, 09:13:44 PM »

What's your take on federal antitrust law?

Also do you believe the seemingly forgotten Constitutional textual powers about patents, copyrights, immigration, bankruptcies, bureaucracies, jurisdiction stripping, means that all federal laws on those subjects are null and void?
I support the current laws and do not envision making any major changes to anti trust laws during my term.
This is something I would personally like to see the court rule on specifically. I would personally have to look into and research this some more before coming to a definite conclusion one way or the other.

MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2019, 09:35:46 PM »

I have a follow-up question: will you run for any offices (be it federal or regional) during your tenure as Attorney General, should you be confirmed?
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2019, 09:50:53 PM »

I have a follow-up question: will you run for any offices (be it federal or regional) during your tenure as Attorney General, should you be confirmed?
I am not running for office right now or planning to do so as Attorney General.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2019, 10:32:51 PM »

You've stated previously that you will recuse yourself from conflicts of interest. If your plans change and you decide to run for office while Attorney General, will you resign to mount your campaign?
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2019, 10:38:54 PM »

You've stated previously that you will recuse yourself from conflicts of interest. If your plans change and you decide to run for office while Attorney General, will you resign to mount your campaign?
Yes honourable senator.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2019, 10:42:34 PM »

Yes honourable senator.
Thank you.

I find no reason to oppose this nominee, and will vote in the affirmative.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2019, 02:08:15 AM »

I realize this question is a bit late, but during the Rpryor hearing I asked about this and I don't think it was addressed in the short period he was Attorney General. However, going back to Dereich's time as Attorney General there were concerns expressed about the fact that the Department of Justice in Atlasia has a very weak mandate compared to rl and thus lacks the ability to engage in or at least clearly to engage in various legal actions that the RL Department of Justice can.

Would you be interested in pursuing an expansion of the department's mandate, have you discussed this with the President and if not would you pledge to being work on this with the President immediately, if confirmed?
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2019, 10:14:31 AM »

I realize this question is a bit late, but during the Rpryor hearing I asked about this and I don't think it was addressed in the short period he was Attorney General. However, going back to Dereich's time as Attorney General there were concerns expressed about the fact that the Department of Justice in Atlasia has a very weak mandate compared to rl and thus lacks the ability to engage in or at least clearly to engage in various legal actions that the RL Department of Justice can.

Would you be interested in pursuing an expansion of the department's mandate, have you discussed this with the President and if not would you pledge to being work on this with the President immediately, if confirmed?
I have certainly not discussed this with the President yet though this is something that we would definitely discuss if confirmed.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2019, 11:14:27 AM »

The vote to confirm the nominee is open.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2019, 12:33:09 PM »

Aye
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix