Senate Confirmation Hearing: ASV for National Archivist (Withdrawn)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:57:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Senate Confirmation Hearing: ASV for National Archivist (Withdrawn)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Senate Confirmation Hearing: ASV for National Archivist (Withdrawn)  (Read 1430 times)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 01, 2019, 07:58:17 PM »
« edited: March 10, 2019, 12:27:20 PM by Lumine »

Quote from: Executive Order 47-002
Executive Order
Organization of National Archivist positions

EO 45-009 is hereby rescinded.
EO 39-001, Article 1, Clause 6 shall read as follows: 6. The National Archivist shall have the ability to appoint up to five deputy archivists to delegate specific portions of the Wiki to. These deputies shall not be subject to Senate confirmation.
7. The President shall retain the authority to oversee, direct and assist the Archivist(s) in their efforts to update the wiki.

RPryor is dismissed as National Archivist. AustralianSwingVoter is hereby appointed National Archivist.

X President Tmthforu94

The nominee has 24 hours to make an opening statement.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2019, 08:27:05 PM »

I'd firstly like to thank the President for my appointment.

Basically, over the last month I've done a lot on the wiki. Executive orders have been updated, membership charts for regional legislatures have been added/updated, senate elections and full house counts have been added, and a good bit more I can't remember off the top of my head.
Basically, I'm a long time wikipedia editor, so I do know what I'm doing, I really enjoy dull, boring, repetitive, menial tasks that no one in their right mind should want to do, and I have a lot of free time to fill.
If you want to confirm me, thanks, that's rather nice of you. If you don't want to confirm me, that's unfortunate. I'll still be updating the Atlasian wiki either way because I find it enjoyable.
I can't really think of anything else to say, so that's it. I hope the Senate looks favourably on my appointment.
Oh, also, please ask me questions. Lots of questions. Answering questions really is rather enjoyable.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2019, 08:28:55 PM »

I endorse a No vote because ASV has been annoying me too much
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2019, 08:30:39 PM »

Well, you have sometimes had discussions with other citizens, particularly on the Discord, as the above post by Wulfric shows. Will those affect in any capacity your ability to perform the duties of National Archivist?

Also, how will you confront the lack of a Wulfric endorsement?
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2019, 08:36:26 PM »

Well, you have sometimes had discussions with other citizens, particularly on the Discord, as the above post by Wulfric shows. Will those affect in any capacity your ability to perform the duties of National Archivist?
Given the job of National Archivist is almost entirely just copy pasting legislation and executive orders from Atlas to the Wiki, I would say no.
Also, how will you confront the lack of a Wulfric endorsement?
I'm truly quaking in my boots now that Wulfric has endorsed a no vote. Because as we all know, no Atlasian ever votes without first asking, who did Wulfric endorse?
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2019, 08:42:02 PM »

Will 1 of your deputies fix the lincoln code?
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2019, 08:45:38 PM »

Will 1 of your deputies fix the lincoln code?
Nope. As set out in Article II, Section 7 of the Lincoln Constitution:
The Minister of Internal Affairs shall be tasked with overseeing bill implementation and updating the wiki statute
So given the Lincoln Constitution clearly states who is responsible for updating Lincoln's wiki statute, whoever is appointed Lincoln Minister of Internal Affairs shall be doing that job. Most certainly the federal Archivist team won't be doing it.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2019, 08:50:37 PM »

Hello ASV. While I do consider you a good friend, I think we can both agree that it is important that we put that aside and I will consider this appointment solely on the merits.

Having said that, here is an important question I have for you:

Will you let your personal judgment regarding political theory cloud your understanding, interpretation and publication of information pertaining to regional governments' systems? This is particularly important given your vocal opposition on Discord to referring to both Lincoln and Fremont's current system of government as "parliamentary" systems on the wiki, instead wishing for Lincoln to be called "semi-presidential" and Fremont "semi-parliamentary".

Here is the proof of ASV saying this for all parties who aren't on Discord (or at least not the Discord this happened in):
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2019, 08:58:32 PM »

Will you let your personal judgment regarding political theory cloud your understanding, interpretation and publication of information pertaining to regional governments' systems? This is particularly important given your vocal opposition on Discord to referring to both Lincoln and Fremont's current system of government as "parliamentary" systems on the wiki, instead wishing for Lincoln to be called "semi-presidential" and Fremont "semi-parliamentary".

Here is the proof of ASV saying this for all parties who aren't on Discord (or at least not the Discord this happened in):

Most certainly not. 2 reasons.
1. As I said in response to the previous question, Lincoln shall have total responsibility for the handling and administration of its regional wiki. The Federal Archivists shall have no involvement whatsoever with Lincoln's regional wiki, that I can assure you. On the one hand, that means they can manage their regional wiki as they want to. On the other hand, that means they have to do the boring work of updating their statute.
2. As anyone on Discord would know, later in the day me and transit had a very long conversation on the exact system of government found in Lincoln. The dispute between us over the type can be boiled down to our interpretation of the governor's people's veto power, and whether that power is a standard or reserve power. Anyway, the sum agreement of the conversation is that Lincoln is a Parliamentary system currently, however whether it stays that way depends on the actions of future governors.

In short, no, I will not let personal judgment cloud my job, because there isn't really any such opportunity for it to. My job will really only be copy pasting federal legislation from Atlas to the Wiki, and keeping officeholder lists updated.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2019, 09:53:08 PM »

2 more things to add in addition to my opening statement.
1. In accordance with the President's executive order, I'll most certainly appoint multiple Deputy Archivists to help spread the large burden of updating the Wiki.
2. One of my first tasks, if confirmed, will be giving all post-reset officeholders full infoboxes.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2019, 09:56:37 PM »

Do you support invading China?
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2019, 09:58:06 PM »

Professionally, I think such a question would be better directed to the Secretary of State.
Personally, hell no, that's a terrible idea. That's even dumber than invading Iran.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2019, 10:02:40 PM »

Which Page of the Wiki is most poorly designed in your view and how would you like to improve this page?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2019, 10:04:56 PM »

72 hours to further question the nominee.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2019, 10:30:10 PM »

Which Page of the Wiki is most poorly designed in your view and how would you like to improve this page?
I think such a question is firstly highly subjective and secondly has nothing to do with what I'm actually going to do.
My main aim in office is standardising the wiki. That means standardising tables, standardising infoboxes, standardising formatting and so on. No page is poorly designed, really, just that some pages have more information than others.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2019, 01:13:13 AM »

Will you be able to get the statute page updated and then keep it updated?

Have you talked to the President/Vice President about them forwarding via PM all signed/resolutions for this purpose?

https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/Statute_(post-reset)
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2019, 01:38:01 AM »

Will you be able to get the statute page updated and then keep it updated?
Yes.
Have you talked to the President/Vice President about them forwarding via PM all signed/resolutions for this purpose?
No need. I can more than easily check up on congress every week for bills which have passed.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2019, 12:56:36 PM »

I guess the most troubling aspect of the Lincoln debacle for me was the suggestion that the National Archivist is some sort of Wiki Tsar authorized to impose their single-minded vision for the Wiki from on high. As the president who wrote the executive order creating the position, that was never how I intended the role to function. Though I realize the question has already been brought up, and that I am only an old fogey with no real political relevance, I wonder if you could expand on what you view to be the extent of your authority as National Archivist and how you would respond in the event of an edit war. Specifically, do you think your judgement re: style and terminology takes precedent over civilian editors, and how will you seek to resolve conflicts relating to the content and format of the Wiki? Do you believe the National Archivist has the authority to issue "rulings" on how certain topics will be handled on the Wiki, as you seem to imply in the screenshot above?
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2019, 01:34:49 PM »

Mr. Swingvoter,

Thank you for joining us here today.

My question is simple, albeit it has two parts: firstly, how responsive will you and your team be to Wiki edit requests from Atlasians?

Secondly, could you perhaps name some of the people you’re considering for Deputy archivist positions?

Thank you.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2019, 04:45:18 PM »

My question is simple, albeit it has two parts: firstly, how responsive will you and your team be to Wiki edit requests from Atlasians?
I have lots of free time and I like dull repetitive tasks. I'll be extremely responsive to any and all edit requests.
Secondly, could you perhaps name some of the people you’re considering for Deputy archivist positions?
Wait and see.....
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2019, 04:55:29 PM »

I guess the most troubling aspect of the Lincoln debacle for me was the suggestion that the National Archivist is some sort of Wiki Tsar authorized to impose their single-minded vision for the Wiki from on high. As the president who wrote the executive order creating the position, that was never how I intended the role to function. Though I realize the question has already been brought up, and that I am only an old fogey with no real political relevance, I wonder if you could expand on what you view to be the extent of your authority as National Archivist and how you would respond in the event of an edit war. Specifically, do you think your judgement re: style and terminology takes precedent over civilian editors, and how will you seek to resolve conflicts relating to the content and format of the Wiki? Do you believe the National Archivist has the authority to issue "rulings" on how certain topics will be handled on the Wiki, as you seem to imply in the screenshot above?
I do most certainly believe that the National Archivist should be a final arbiter in cases of disputes, and should have the power to set standardised rules and formatting. Indeed, I do feel that there is a great need for such a role, and that the National Archivist should fill it. The National Archivist, in my opinion, should have the power to set precedent and rules for the wiki, to allow for standardisation of the Wiki, to reduce conflicting styles and formats found in disparate locations across it.
The fact is, we will never all agree on the exact standardisation to be taken. Therefore I do think it needed for the National Archivist to arbiter and finalise on such issues, and to resolve disputes and edit wars. I do feel that the National Archivist should have the power to issue rulings on matters of dispute, because someone should have that power, to avoid perpetuation of further conflicts, and to me it seems logical that the cabinet minister responsible for the Wiki should be the person empowered to such a role.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2019, 05:03:20 PM »

Following from the previous question; if we take that the National Archivist should be the final arbiter in terms of Wiki standardization and formatting, will you do negotiations and listen to people's opinions regarding formatting?

There's a good argument to be made that the National Archivist should be responsible for ending disputes, but we must also make sure that the Wiki is easy to read and use and that the people's concerns are listened to. Can we trust you to do so?

And regarding that, how do you plan on conducting any Wiki formatting negotiations? What will be your style on mediating in Wiki edit wars?
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2019, 05:08:12 PM »

Following from the previous question; if we take that the National Archivist should be the final arbiter in terms of Wiki standardization and formatting, will you do negotiations and listen to people's opinions regarding formatting?
Of course. The National Archivist should engage in long detailed conversations/arguments with all parties involved in a dispute before coming to a final ruling.
Indeed, that is what happened with Lincoln. Me and transit and Peanut had a very very very long conversation about how Lincoln's government should be classified, and eventually came to an agreement that it should be classified as parliamentary in the short term, and in the long term the classification depends on how future governors act with regards to their powers.
There's a good argument to be made that the National Archivist should be responsible for ending disputes, but we must also make sure that the Wiki is easy to read and use and that the people's concerns are listened to. Can we trust you to do so?
Yes. That is why I am so concerned with moving towards a unified, standardised format and style rules for the Wiki, so that all pages are presented in the same manner, and that the wiki as a whole will be easier to peruse, as there won't be confusion over differing standards.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2019, 05:13:30 PM »

A follow-up: what are the qualities you are looking for in a deputy archivist?
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2019, 05:15:34 PM »
« Edited: March 03, 2019, 05:30:10 PM by AustralianSwingVoter »

A follow-up: what are the qualities you are looking for in a deputy archivist?
A wide range of qualities and qualifications that would endear themselves to a favourable position with regards to the question of appointment to the aforementioned office.
Such qualities and qualifications may include a record of activity on the wiki, background knowledge of Atlasian history, a good activity record, having lots of free time, being able to pursue a non-biased approach to editing, not being called Wulfric, not being too controversial, and a good few more I can't think of off the top of my head.
And to be clear, an appointee is not expected to have every single one of these qualifications. That would be near-impossible, yet alone for 5 separate people. Rather, these qualities and qualifications are some aspects that would help increase their chances.
And to be clear, if I my nomination is passed by the Senate, the first thing I'll be doing will be soliciting for applications from persons interested in holding this office. Then I'll sort through applications and also separately contact persons I feel would be suited for this role.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies