Kerry's MA senate seat
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:41:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  Kerry's MA senate seat
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Kerry's MA senate seat  (Read 12628 times)
lidaker
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: 0.88, S: -4.67

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 08, 2004, 09:02:12 PM »

I was wondering... what will happen with Kerry's senate seat if he's elected come November?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2004, 09:07:50 PM »

Bill Weld will be appointed
lidaker
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2004, 09:09:22 PM »

No but seriously
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2004, 09:13:38 PM »

Bill Weld?  Or did he die?
If he's still functioning, it will be Bill weld.
lidaker
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2004, 09:15:47 PM »
« Edited: May 08, 2004, 09:16:33 PM by lidaker »

Why is that? I think he's alive and well btw.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2004, 09:21:34 PM »

Okay.

So Bill Weld will probably be the senator from MA if Kerry wins.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2004, 09:28:56 PM »

if (god forbid) john kerry is elected president, i would love for jane swift to be appointed to that senate seat.
lidaker
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2004, 09:29:19 PM »
« Edited: May 08, 2004, 09:30:33 PM by lidaker »

Okay.

So Bill Weld will probably be the senator from MA if Kerry wins.

Not necessarily I see.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2004/02/19/democrats_eye_plan_to_protect_kerry_senate_seat/
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2004, 09:33:02 PM »

Romney would appoint a Republican, and Weld is the only prominent Republican in the state.

Besides, Weld would vote witht he Dems 60% of the time.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2004, 10:12:15 PM »

bill weld is old news.

mitt romney, being the self promoter that he is, would probably try and appoint himslef to the senate seat.

jane swift is the voice of the future.  she is going to make a comeback someday.
classical liberal
RightWingNut

Political Matrix
E: 9.35, S: -8.26

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2004, 10:31:40 PM »

A Republican in MA is like a Democrat in WY, possible, practicable, but grossly unlikely.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2004, 05:01:20 AM »

Bill Weld lives in NY
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2004, 09:29:28 AM »

I'd like to see Barney Frank in that senate seat.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2004, 09:37:11 AM »

I'd like to see Barney Frank in that senate seat.

...if only to piss off Trent Lott...
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2004, 09:39:03 AM »

Would Frank be the most liberal Senator?  Probably...if Kerry was, Frank definitely would be.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2004, 11:29:07 AM »

Jane Swift is totally incompetent, and for has much of a reactionary as Romney is, at least he has some executive skills. Barney Frank would be a fine senator.

I was very saddened to hear that Romney won. I supported Shannon O'Brien in the general, even though I supported my neighbor, Bob Reich, in the primary. O'Brien used to be pro-choice only under RILM circumstances. She explained it as the fact that she represented an overwhelmingly Catholic district in the statehouse. Well, she should have testified to the truth, and not be a lackey for the Pope.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2004, 01:58:59 PM »

jane swift is far from incompetent.

she is going to make a comeback and she is going to be a national star.  she has made some mistakes in the past, but they are relatively minor.

mitt romney and the republican party made a huge mistake by not standing behind swift.  she has been a loyal republican all of her life and they dumped her like a bad habit.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2004, 05:41:51 PM »

Would Frank be the most liberal Senator?  Probably...if Kerry was, Frank definitely would be.

Barney Frank would be awesome! My favorite quote of his was:

"Conservatives' interest in life begins at conception and ends at birth."
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2004, 02:08:18 AM »

Yeah but you could just as well turn that quote on its head and say...

"Liberals' desire to intervene in peoples lives begins at birth and ends with death"

...I wish people on both sides of the abortion issue wouldn’t be so dismissive... just because someone is sceptical on the issue of abortion does not mean they are a "lackey for the pope" I'm a catholic and the church's teaching is not the sole reason why i oppose abortion... however changing your beliefs simply to be elected is questionable that said I can kinda understand a wish to accurately reflect the values and aspirations of you constituents...

Personally I find it wildly inconsistent when social liberals decry the death penalty and yet then say that aborting a foetus is a woman's right what ever the circumstances... its incredible really...
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2004, 11:15:11 AM »

Yeah but you could just as well turn that quote on its head and say...

"Liberals' desire to intervene in peoples lives begins at birth and ends with death"

Personally I find it wildly inconsistent when social liberals decry the death penalty and yet then say that aborting a foetus is a woman's right what ever the circumstances... its incredible really...

Well, as a social liberal, I oppose the death penalty not in concept, but in the fact that it has come too close to executing innocent people, and that it is a very flawed system (and doesn't reduce crime). There really is no way to perfect it, so it shouldn't be used.

I mostly support the right to have an abortion in the first trimester because it is foolish to think abortions will go AWAY if you try to ban them -- they'll still go on, only in back alleys with coathangers and illegitimate people performing them, at a much greater health risk.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2004, 03:52:55 PM »

Good quote
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2004, 04:08:21 PM »

Well, Ben, it's not incredible, but shows a concern for people that hasn't dawned upon you.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2004, 03:12:16 AM »

Well, Ben, it's not incredible, but shows a concern for people that hasn't dawned upon you.

Oh goodie an argument with Migrendel about abortion that is sure to end in "bloody stalemate" Wink

...How is banning the death penalty and permitting abortions showing a "level of concern for people that hasn’t dawned upon" me?

I'm sorry Migrendel but it is inconsistent to say that... "you do not have the right to end the life of a person who has committed a crime" and then in effect say "but a woman has the right to end the life of an unborn child"...

I would never want to legislate for an outright ban, I think the law as it stands (while still flawed) has come along way in recent years... I can see cases where an abortion is necessary...

1.) if the life of the mouth is threatened
2.) in cases of incest or rape
3.) if the child will be born very seriously handicapped

...In these cases i can understand the "need" for the mother to have an abortion, even at a later stage in a pregnancy ...

What i cannot accept is that a woman has the right to have an abortion at any stage of her pregnancy for matters of convenience.

You can dress it up what ever way you like but you are killing a child...

Now while I would urge a mother to not have an abortion in one of the three instances I have set out, I would not support a ban on abortions in the first trimester as I believe (however much I disagree with the idea) that there should be that option open at that stage...

The argument that abortion would "go underground" if it where band, is part of the reason that I would not support a "total ban" in practise. However I do not see this as a major issue as there are other ways of preventing women resorting to using “backstreet” abortionists, and I will elaborate on these in a moment.

This Administration has done many things which I support regarding abortion. But what the administration have not done is to effectively tackle the more difficult and expensive educational side of discouraging abortion and the attitude that "abortion is another form of contraception", we need to promote family planning and safe, protected sex (not simply abstinence programs) to get the number of unwanted pregnancies down. We need both federal and state systems to support both financially and psychologically pregnant mothers.

Returning to my original point, Migrendel: why are you so unconcerned about the fate of an unborn child? do you see the fact that it is within its mothers womb as somehow cart-blanc to deny it any basic rights or legal protection?  
classical liberal
RightWingNut

Political Matrix
E: 9.35, S: -8.26

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2004, 04:25:56 PM »

The way I see it, the only conservative view on the issue is to not have government interfere and leave people to  themselves.  In this case the Religious "Right" is being liberal and elitist in suggesting that the government should act as though it knows better and should therfore interfere and dictate people's actions.  It's another case in which the so called "Religious Right" should be called the "Religious Left".
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2004, 06:13:28 PM »

The way I see it, the only conservative view on the issue is to not have government interfere and leave people to f**ck themselves.  In this case the Religious "Right" is being liberal and elitist in suggesting that the government should act as though it knows better and should therfore interfere and dictate people's actions.  It's another case in which the so called "Religious Right" should be called the "Religious Left".

Not so... the liberal attitude would be for a person to be as free as possible to do as they please, hence the term "libertine" for someone who is bereft of inhibitions or moral taboos, derived from the term "liberal"... the term religious right is technically correct...

To be an economic Liberal can mean many things it can suggest a free trader who is keen to let market forces “flow” or alternatively it can be a term that in effect means the same thing as populist or Keynesian… odd really

I don’t think however that wanting to control a persons personal behaviour is a “liberal” thing, liberalism is about personal freedom and government non-interference, while a conservative would argue that there are limits… so you really can’t call the religious right, liberal… However the GOP could be called fiscally liberal by either criteria I have put forwards really, especially under Bush… while the Democratic Party seems to be heading in a more populist economic direction at the moment, but that should not be confused with “liberalism”…        
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies