MO-GOV 2020 megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:22:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MO-GOV 2020 megathread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: MO-GOV 2020 megathread  (Read 4844 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 03, 2019, 06:07:26 PM »

It seems like the MO GOP is settled on white bread and steady Gov. Mike Parson for reelection.

However, former Gov. Eric Greitens may challenge Parson to get his job back after resigning due to scandal.

For the Democrats, I think Russ or Robin Carnahan would be good choices to take back the State House, since Claire McCaskill looks like her political career is over as she is a pundit now.
MassBlueDog
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2019, 06:35:43 PM »

McCaskill is officially retired from politics.

Russ is probably done too, and Robin hasn’t run statewide since 2008.

I would say the best options are Nicole Galloway, Scott Sifton, Stephen Webber or (ideally) Jason Kander.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2019, 06:44:21 PM »

I would say the best options are Nicole Galloway, Scott Sifton, Stephen Webber or (ideally) Jason Kander.
I think you meant to say run in 2010 or win in 2008
MassBlueDog
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2019, 09:50:11 PM »
« Edited: March 03, 2019, 09:54:37 PM by MassBlueDog »

I think you meant to say run in 2010 or win in 2008
I completely forgot about 2010 for a reason.  One of the strongest Dem candidates in years against a generic R, and it had to be during a historic midterm.  I was pissed.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 12:13:07 AM »

Nicole Galloway is probably the smartest option

But Dems would lose her state auditor seat and I think MO is just too Republican and polarized to elect a statewide Democrat, Claire McCaskill who has been in Missouri politics forever, was ousted by someone who spent less than 2 years in their job and drew concerns that he did not campaign well and was sleepwalking.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2019, 02:33:44 AM »
« Edited: March 04, 2019, 02:47:37 AM by Jimmie »

Nicole Galloway is probably the smartest option

But Dems would lose her state auditor seat and I think MO is just too Republican and polarized to elect a statewide Democrat, Claire McCaskill who has been in Missouri politics forever, was ousted by someone who spent less than 2 years in their job and drew concerns that he did not campaign well and was sleepwalking.

Galloway would appoint the vacancy in the auditors office to fill the remainder of her term. However, Galloway is highly unlikely to run for governor. We have that office solely because Tom Schweich died by suicide and the Republicans nominated the worst possible opponent imaginable again Galloway in 2018.

Saundra McDowell has been sued 7 times, did not meet the residency requirement, called Galloway a DOG in their debate, and is having her wages garnished.. yet she still got 44% of the statewide vote!

I am still 50/50 if Galloway's win was impressive or not. One one hand her opponent was an interesting character.  But on the other hand the auditors contest was way over shadowed by the US Senate and it was widely assumed whoever won the Senate contest would also win the Auditors contest.

It seems like the MO GOP is settled on white bread and steady Gov. Mike Parson for reelection.

However, former Gov. Eric Greitens may challenge Parson to get his job back after resigning due to scandal.

For the Democrats, I think Russ or Robin Carnahan would be good choices to take back the State House, since Claire McCaskill looks like her political career is over as she is a pundit now.

No Robin and Russ Carnahan are NOT going back into politics lmao.. and Greitens is not going anywhere near a gop primary.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2019, 03:08:13 AM »

LOL, what makes Greitens think he has a chance? Even though it's a GOP primary, Parson should have this handily.
LoneStarDem
United States
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2019, 11:12:35 AM »

Is Greitens eligible to serving 2nd & 3rd non-consecutive terms ?
MassBlueDog
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2019, 11:16:09 AM »

No, he gets two terms only.  Which is weird, because every other executive office has no term limits (except for State Treasurer, for some reason).
LoneStarDem
United States
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2019, 05:25:13 PM »

No, he gets two terms only.  Which is weird, because every other executive office has no term limits (except for State Treasurer, for some reason).

MO term limits are STUPID. Didn't Hearnes put the 2-term provision in there to succeed himself ? I heard he tried to get a 3rd term in there, but was prevented from doing so.

Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2019, 08:15:17 PM »

Do it! Go for it, Greitens! If he gets the nomination again it is probably a Democrats' only chance at winning. It would be lean R over likely R with Parson.
Natalie
HowsThisForAUsername
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2019, 03:01:39 PM »

State Rep. Crystal Quade should run. The only Democrat to survive in MO-7, a very Republican district in which I live. Nicole Galloway should run. Fat chance Greitens runs again. His political career is over.

La'Ondrill "Chuck" Brown is the only candidate running for the Democratic nomination. Though he's very inexperienced, I've been watching his campaign and he seems to be Progressive. Claire McCaskill embracing Centrism and alienating Progressive voters in 2018 is why she lost. I voted for Jo Crain. We need a Progressive candidate in 2020 or Parson is going to walk away with this one.
LoneStarDem
United States
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2019, 10:44:31 AM »

State Rep. Crystal Quade should run. The only Democrat to survive in MO-7, a very Republican district in which I live. Nicole Galloway should run. Fat chance Greitens runs again. His political career is over.

La'Ondrill "Chuck" Brown is the only candidate running for the Democratic nomination. Though he's very inexperienced, I've been watching his campaign and he seems to be Progressive. Claire McCaskill embracing Centrism and alienating Progressive voters in 2018 is why she lost. I voted for Jo Crain. We need a Progressive candidate in 2020 or Parson is going to walk away with this one.

Progressives are destroying the Dems in general. You need to be in the CENTER in order to win statewide elections.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2019, 10:47:40 AM »

Progressives are destroying the Dems in general. You need to be in the CENTER in order to win statewide elections.

What did Harry Truman say on May 17, 1952?

How did progressive ballot measures fare in Missouri in 2018?
Some of My Best Friends Are Gay
Enlightened_Centrist 420
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2019, 10:54:52 AM »

Progressive ballot measures are widely popular, but rural whites in Missouri don't vote based on economic issues, they vote based on cultural issues and racial resentment.

A Sanders-style Democrat wouldn't do any better than a moderate Democrat in Missouri, because basically all Democrats are the same in the minds of the hicks in rural MO.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2019, 10:56:29 AM »

Progressive ballot measures are widely popular, but rural whites in Missouri don't vote based on economic issues, they vote based on cultural issues and racial resentment.

A Sanders-style Democrat wouldn't do any better than a moderate Democrat in Missouri, because basically all Democrats are the same in the minds of the hicks in rural MO.

Compare Jason Kander's 2016 result to Claire McCaskill's 2018 result. Which candidate (1) won a higher vote share overall and (2) came closer to victory?
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2019, 11:06:22 AM »

Compare Jason Kander's 2016 result to Claire McCaskill's 2018 result. Which candidate (1) won a higher vote share overall and (2) came closer to victory?

Ah yes, because Roy Blunt was totally not a weak incumbent, who did not take his challenge seriously

Yes, because Claire McCaskill was totally not an unpopular Senator hated by Missourians, who only won, because her 2012 opponent’s campaign imploded
Some of My Best Friends Are Gay
Enlightened_Centrist 420
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2019, 12:22:44 PM »

Kander came slightly closer, but that's really not relevant. he certainly didn't campaign as a "true leftist", and he mostly did better because Roy Blunt was a weak candidate.

McCaskill lost because she was unpopular and Missouri has shifted even further to the right since 2016... if Kander had been the Senate nominee in 2018, I doubt he would have done substantially better than McCaskill, and he certainly still would have lost.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2019, 12:45:07 PM »

McCaskill and Heidi lost due to balance of power shift in the Senate. There were two females added in NV and AZ and two females subtracted. 

MO is still Democratic friendly outside of a Carnahan or McCaskill running. The state want fresh face
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2019, 02:08:24 PM »

Steve Stenger would be good too, if he ran.
LoneStarDem
United States
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2019, 03:01:43 PM »

What are Parson's popularity ratings so far ?
Natalie
HowsThisForAUsername
United States

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2019, 05:04:26 PM »

Imagine actually believing McCaskill lost because she wasn’t progressive enough
It's true though. I'm not going to take it from a Republican from Florida that it isn't. McCaskill was supposed to be the Democratic nominee, yet she was running like a Republican.
What are Parson's popularity ratings so far ?
As of January 2019: 44% Approve, 18% Disapprove, and 37% Don't Know.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2019, 08:19:39 PM »

MO is no longer a swing state

If McCaskill actually voted for single-payer healthcare and other liberal ideas, Atlas' dream of seeing her Blanched, would have became a reality

There are just not enough non-Republicans in Missouri anymore, the state is basically Safe GOP
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2019, 09:35:59 PM »

MO is no longer a swing state

If McCaskill actually voted for single-payer healthcare and other liberal ideas, Atlas' dream of seeing her Blanched, would have became a reality

There are just not enough non-Republicans in Missouri anymore, the state is basically Safe GOP

DEMS need to run a Candidate, we can win this seat with Harris-Beto ticket
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2019, 10:55:26 AM »

The state looks gone for the Dems for the foreseeable future. Maybe when the suburbs get bluer they can win, but the rural areas are gone.

They should focus on MO-02 rather than the Governor’s mansion.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies