MO-GOV 2020 megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:18:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MO-GOV 2020 megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: MO-GOV 2020 megathread  (Read 4776 times)
LoneStarDem
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2019, 04:17:13 PM »

The state looks gone for the Dems for the foreseeable future. Maybe when the suburbs get bluer they can win, but the rural areas are gone.

They should focus on MO-02 rather than the Governor’s mansion.

In other words: you're suggesting the MO Dems to leave the Show Me State altogether ?
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2019, 03:17:37 AM »

The state looks gone for the Dems for the foreseeable future. Maybe when the suburbs get bluer they can win, but the rural areas are gone.

They should focus on MO-02 rather than the Governor’s mansion.

In other words: you're suggesting the MO Dems to leave the Show Me State altogether ?

No. All I said is that it would be difficult to run.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2019, 02:24:55 PM »

MO-02 is the only race we should focus on.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2019, 07:14:02 PM »

I think Democrats should compete in MO.

Steve Stenger or Stephen Webber would be good, especially if the Carnahans are finished with politics.
Some of My Best Friends Are Gay
Enlightened_Centrist 420
YaBB God

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2019, 09:26:06 PM »

Steve Stenger or Stephen Webber would be good, especially if the Carnahans are finished with politics.

Thank God you're not a Democratic strategist.
MassBlueDog
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2019, 12:55:28 PM »

Bahahahahahaha.  That's the way that you manage to lose STL county in a statewide election.  That would be a total blowout.
UncleSam

« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2019, 01:06:21 PM »

Dems should only compete in Missouri if they’re winning by 10+ nationally. Even then it would only be to drag the gubernatorial candidate over the line.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2019, 02:13:14 PM »

Bahahahahahaha.  That's the way that you manage to lose STL county in a statewide election.  That would be a total blowout.

Explain to me what is wrong with Stenger or Webber, and why you think Democrats should cede the country? Remember a 50-state campaign strategy?
UncleSam

« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2019, 03:14:48 PM »

Explain to me what is wrong with Stenger or Webber, and why you think Democrats should cede the country? Remember a 50-state campaign strategy?
I mean such a strategy is a poor one unless you’re winning by so much that it doesn’t matter.
MassBlueDog
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2019, 07:43:47 PM »

Dude... STL county is one of the four counties MO Dems are guaranteed to win in and that only gets you around 38% (Hillary Clinton).  It's the largest county in the state, and the home of the dem base.  If you can't win in STL county as a Dem, ur not winning the state.
Stenger is incredibly unpopular in the county, and he barely won his last election.  In addition, he's going through some criminal problems of his own.  He'd get crushed.
I totally agree with you that the dems should not cede Missouri, and Webber would be a great candidate.  The idea of Stenger as a viable statewide candidate is so laughable, however, that I had to point it out.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2019, 05:27:48 AM »

Dude... STL county is one of the four counties MO Dems are guaranteed to win in and that only gets you around 38% (Hillary Clinton).  It's the largest county in the state, and the home of the dem base.  If you can't win in STL county as a Dem, ur not winning the state.
Stenger is incredibly unpopular in the county, and he barely won his last election.  In addition, he's going through some criminal problems of his own.  He'd get crushed.
I totally agree with you that the dems should not cede Missouri, and Webber would be a great candidate.  The idea of Stenger as a viable statewide candidate is so laughable, however, that I had to point it out.

I don't know who Stenger is but why is he so unpopular?
MassBlueDog
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2019, 07:25:41 PM »

I don't know who Stenger is but why is he so unpopular?
Stenger is the Democrat county executive in charge of St. Louis County, which is the largest county in Missouri.  He's got lots of ethics controversies, clashed with his council members, and is just unable to accomplish anything.  Now, he's under criminal investigation.  The guy isn't popular among the people he's in charge of for these reasons, and without a sizable floor in STL county, you aren't winning in Missouri.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2019, 12:46:28 PM »

If not Stenger, if the Carnahans, if not McCaskill, or Galloway, why not Susan Montee or Chris Koster again?

Koster was endorsed by the NRA, I wonder if that will be a big problem.
crazy jimmie
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2019, 01:35:03 AM »

Yeah Stenger is about to go to jail lol. Scott Sifton was looking to run a few months ago, but maybe he wised up and realized he’d get flattened. He’s much better off going for MO-02.

Missouri Dems won’t win a gubernatorial race again until the state’s gone full RWNJ-Kansas. And that won’t happen under Parson. If someone like Ashcroft becomes Governor in 2024 though that would be when it would start. That’s probably what it would require to get enough suburban voters and the mid-sized cities to revolt.

I actually have MO-02 as Safe R for 2020. While I was proven right on my thoughts last cycle.... my thoughts have changed for the next cycle.

Considering that Koster and Kander lost races many thought Democrats were favored in and that McCaskill lost by 6 points and Galloway barely garnered 50% of the vote against a fraud will make Democrats hesitant to contest anything in Missouri.

Though I would agree with you Scott Sifton should run for MO-02. If he does I will revisit my currently rating which is based on lack of resources. Sifton may only be a one term congressman but at least it could raise his profile for a future statewide run.
LoneStarDem
United States
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2019, 08:39:25 AM »

In other words, I have this at Likely GOP Hold with Parson winning a 1st full 4-year term.

Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2019, 10:10:14 PM »

All indications are that Sifton is going to run.

Always interesting to see you guys commenting on Missouri politics to say the least.
crazy jimmie
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2019, 04:19:40 AM »

are you drunk?
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2019, 01:11:54 PM »

are you drunk?

Suggesting Steve Stenger as a statewide candidate is suggestive.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2019, 09:01:09 PM »

Yeah, Democrats shouldn’t contest any statewide office in MO after they won a statewide race in 2018, almost beat an incumbent Republican Senator in 2016 even as Trump was carrying the state by 18 points, and an unpopular Democratic incumbent lost her Senate race by 5 points.
crazy jimmie
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2019, 04:53:57 AM »

are you drunk?

Suggesting Steve Stenger as a statewide candidate is suggestive.

unsure what bronz will suggest next.

But... taking a guess that within 4 months he will suggest Maria Chappelle-Nadal as the person to defeat Parson.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2019, 11:09:24 AM »

Parson isn't beatable, but as I laid out above, I think Dems could win a gubernatorial race given the right conditions a little further down the road.

Agreed
scooby
Rookie
United States

« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2019, 12:19:19 AM »

Yeah Stenger is about to go to jail lol. Scott Sifton was looking to run a few months ago, but maybe he wised up and realized he’d get flattened. He’s much better off going for MO-02.

Missouri Dems won’t win a gubernatorial race again until the state’s gone full RWNJ-Kansas. And that won’t happen under Parson. If someone like Ashcroft becomes Governor in 2024 though that would be when it would start. That’s probably what it would require to get enough suburban voters and the mid-sized cities to revolt.
Sifton could perform well in St. Louis County, but his performance in the rurals (especially SEMO) would be dismal. You’re right—MO-02 is a much better option.
crazy jimmie
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2019, 12:07:08 AM »

Does bronz still think Steve Stenger is a great statewide candidate?

https://fox2now.com/2019/04/29/sam-page-sworn-in-as-new-st-louis-county-executive/

Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2019, 01:33:33 AM »

So, Wikipedia lists "Erotic Eric" as potential contender? That'll be hard...
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2019, 09:51:02 AM »

I didn't know he was corrupt. I thought he was a clean candidate.

Why doesn't Chris Koster run?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies