Study finds that attractive people have more liberal views
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 09:59:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Study finds that attractive people have more liberal views
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Study finds that attractive people have more liberal views  (Read 1542 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 03, 2019, 06:24:36 PM »

... on abortion, at least.

Being able to have sex whenever you want, [Robert Ubatsch of Iowa State University theorizes], makes you likely to be less judgemental of those who have casual sex.

According to the report’s author: ‘In the data from 2016, 51 percent of those whose looks were rated above average said a woman who wants an abortion for any reason should legally be allowed to have one. ‘Only 42 percent of those with below-average looks said the same.'

This nine-point difference increases to 15 points when accounting for factors like age, education, political ideology and religiosity.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2019, 06:27:39 PM »

Younger and higher educated people are likely to be healthier, eat more consciously, spend more time engaging in sports, have less stress etc. And skew liberal. Lots of potential spurious relationships here.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2019, 06:40:15 PM »

Younger and higher educated people are likely to be healthier, eat more consciously, spend more time engaging in sports, have less stress etc. And skew liberal. Lots of potential spurious relationships here.

It’s true, being liberal is great.  You summed it up perfectly.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2019, 06:43:17 PM »

This explains why I'm so left-wing on abortion
Some of My Best Friends Are Gay
Enlightened_Centrist 420
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2019, 07:02:35 PM »

Can't confirm, I'm ugly as sin and also "far-left".
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2019, 07:07:28 PM »

Hmm... what’s the most tired and trite thing I can say to this? That this is proof that liberalism is an ideology of the ruling class? That conservatives are for the workers?
Some of My Best Friends Are Gay
Enlightened_Centrist 420
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2019, 07:11:09 PM »

Hmm... what’s the most tired and trite thing I can say to this? That this is proof that liberalism is an ideology of the ruling class? That conservatives are for the workers?

You're directly implying workers are less attractive.

Liberal elitist confirmed!
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2019, 07:43:27 PM »

You're directly implying workers are less attractive.

Liberal elitist confirmed!

[something incoherent about "simple peasant beauty"]
NEW JERSEY FOR MENENDEZ
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2019, 07:51:43 PM »

I can't speak for OP, but this seems true for myself.
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.91

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2019, 07:59:54 PM »

If defending the lives of the unborn makes one more likely to be ugly, then I'm firmly and proudly on Team Ugly.
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2019, 08:06:46 PM »

I don't like to judge people, especially on their looks, but if attractive people are more likely to hold liberal views, doesn't that reinforce the stereotype that conservatives are what atlas describes as "WV, 'welfare for whites', white trash".
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2019, 08:41:48 PM »

Conservative women in the media are generally more attractive than liberal women (Fox vs MSNBC etc)
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2019, 08:44:34 PM »

Weill that could explain why I'm ugly.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2019, 09:13:52 PM »

These are all reasonable points. However, I have read that poor people are more likely to be overweight than wealthy people. The reasons for this are fairly obvious, having to do with being able to afford a better diet, and having more leisure time to exercise. The poor are, contrary to some social conservative myth, notably more likely to support abortion rights than the wealthy.

I'm really not sure how much that counteracts your valid points, other than to note it's not quite black and white.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2019, 09:19:49 PM »

That's kind of funny because I always hear from conservatives about how much more attractive their politicians are...or were. I remember my grandma in particular saying that the left hated Palin during the 2008 campaign because" she was beautiful unlike that dog, Hillary!" Granted; this was before the elections of Kamala Harris, Martin Heinrich, Katie Hill, Gavin Newsom, Kyrsten Sinema, Gretchen Whitmer, etc. As much as looks shouldn't matter in politicians, if conservatives were to ever say that their's were more attractive overall, that is objectively false now and primarily because a slew of younger politicians have taken over. Why that's worth noting is mostly just for spiteful purposes, I'll admit.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2019, 09:21:53 PM »

It’s true, being liberal is great.  You summed it up perfectly.

Yes I've noticed this for years, but I didn't want to mention it for fear of sounding mean-spirited. It is funny how some alt righters were so obsessed by physiognomy in 2016. I wonder how many of them realized the truth.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2019, 10:50:10 PM »

If defending the lives of the unborn makes one more likely to be ugly, then I'm firmly and proudly on Team Ugly.
We need Arch in here
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2019, 10:54:05 PM »

I guess I'm an exception?
Corbyn is (no longer) the leader of the Labour Party
DANNT

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2019, 11:56:25 PM »

Once I heard someone say Ann Coulter was attractive...
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2019, 12:03:25 AM »

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But I wouldn't expect someone like Joe Republic to know that. Physical beauty says nothing about a person's character or their personality.

To the irony ore mine, stat!
Hydera

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2019, 12:36:28 AM »

I wonder if its controlled for age considering older people will obviously be thought of as being less attractive. And older people tend to have more conservative viewpoints.

But anyways incel-ism is very very prominent amongst republican supporters. The attitude if i "can't have sex then women should be punished in general for not allowing me to have sex by me having a anti-abortion attitude just to spite them". Along with gay marriage, to them its "disgusting". This is what happens when your voter base is full of social reactionaries.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2019, 01:17:13 AM »

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But I wouldn't expect someone like Joe Republic to know that. Physical beauty says nothing about a person's character or their personality.

Reported for trolling / personal attack / attempting to start yet another flamewar.

In short, a day that ends in y for Calthrina.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2019, 05:32:52 AM »

...and spend less time vegetating on a couch pigging down mass-market beer and salty snacks while watching the idiot screen. A liberal certainly is not watching long segments of FoX Propaganda Channel. This said, pigging out on chips and mass-market beverages while watching televised sports, mindless network programming, MSNBC, or PBS is a bad idea, too.

Don't get me wrong; a conservative can eat wiser than the average, be physically active, and be economically-better off (poverty is a stress in its own right), and have the sort of intellectual curiosity that allows one to make life interesting. I have seen churches (basically Mennonite churches that have gone Baptist as members have assimilated into Conservative America) that have wonderful gymnasiums. Note well that these places also serve as social clubs because those churches are long distances from any exercise clubs.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2019, 09:50:15 AM »

Holy hell you all are good at reading crap into things that fit your world view.  This "study" did not show that liberals are more attractive.  If I posted a thread title this disingenuous the OP and a fellow poster with three posts in this thread would, RIGHTFULLY, be up my ass about it.  Yet, here we are.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2019, 09:55:08 AM »

But Fox News told me that liberal women were ugly.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies