Study finds that attractive people have more liberal views
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:38:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Study finds that attractive people have more liberal views
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Study finds that attractive people have more liberal views  (Read 1476 times)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2019, 01:22:32 PM »

no, it's bad science, a worse headline and a bunch of bottom feeders celebrating something they misunderstood.

You probably get mad at people for liking professional wrestling because "it's not real!!!!1"
quite the opposite in fact.  People that say wrestling is fake will get a reaction out of me.  Wrestling is usually staged, but it's not fake.  Pro wrestling, when it's done right, is one of the best forms of entertainment ever created.

(and the only people that "get me mad" are people not passing in the passing lane)

Whoosh
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2019, 06:46:41 AM »

My trigger point is drivers whose religion apparently forbids the use of turn signals.
Yeah, BMW drivers are the worst. Smiley
no, it's bad science, a worse headline and a bunch of bottom feeders celebrating something they misunderstood.

You probably get mad at people for liking professional wrestling because "it's not real!!!!1"
quite the opposite in fact.  People that say wrestling is fake will get a reaction out of me.  Wrestling is usually staged, but it's not fake.  Pro wrestling, when it's done right, is one of the best forms of entertainment ever created.

(and the only people that "get me mad" are people not passing in the passing lane)

Whoosh
OH MAN!  You got me bro!  I totally have no idea what you're talking about!  A great victory for you, and one you desperately need in these trying times.  And not just a win, a stunning verbal take down for the ages!  Has this been added to the Atlas Burn Registry?  I'm not sure I will be able to recover.  I may need to stop coming here for awhile out of embarrassment.  Thank you for letting me be a part of this historical event.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2019, 09:10:04 AM »

Alternative title:

Study says that people more likely to have one night stands are more likely to be pro-abortion.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2019, 01:52:09 PM »

Alternative title:

Study says that people more likely to have one night stands are more likely to be pro-abortion.

Stay classy.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2019, 05:45:12 PM »

Of course they are, Hollywood and celebrities are liberal. It is the NRA, and hunters and WWC who are conservatives.

ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2019, 06:25:13 PM »
« Edited: March 06, 2019, 06:33:06 PM by ingemann »

Alternative title:

Stay classy.

Try to read the article, because it’s what it says in more diplomatic manners.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2019, 06:26:22 PM »

I do, and that article doesn't give it at all.
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2019, 07:00:58 PM »

Counterpoint:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/01/10/conservatives-really-are-better-looking-research-says/?utm_term=.0bcd86bf7c8e
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2019, 07:11:23 PM »

Makes sense ...
If you are ugly inside, you will more than likely be ugly (unattractive) outside.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2019, 09:02:03 PM »

Alternative title:

Stay classy.

No, I read the article. You are simply being a judgemental twit.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2019, 09:14:49 PM »

Alternative title:

Stay classy.

No, I read the article. You are simply being a judgemental twit.

Well I’m judgemental, but I don’t have a problem with abortion, and the conclusions in the article seem pretty obvious, and pretty much said what I summed it up as, what it didn’t say was that liberals are more attractive than conservatives.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #61 on: March 07, 2019, 01:07:43 AM »

This high quality editorial cartoonist from a highly esteemed publication appears to agree...

Dukakisite1988
Rookie

« Reply #62 on: March 07, 2019, 07:05:52 AM »

Makes sense ...
If you are ugly inside, you will more than likely be ugly (unattractive) outside.

Alas, there are countless examples of sociopaths who are easy on the eye.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2019, 07:23:16 AM »

Well I’m judgemental, but I don’t have a problem with abortion, and the conclusions in the article seem pretty obvious, and pretty much said what I summed it up as, what it didn’t say was that liberals are more attractive than conservatives.
indeed.  The only thing we know for sure at this point is that left leaning types here, in this thread, are really bad at assessing science referenced in articles.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #64 on: March 07, 2019, 08:16:36 AM »

Alternative title:

Stay classy.

Why do you assume a person using the phrase “one-night stand” is being judgmental? Beyond that, it’s a completely rational assessment of self interest.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #65 on: March 07, 2019, 10:07:00 AM »

This high quality editorial cartoonist from a highly esteemed publication appears to agree...

Glad I ate breakfast before that drawing of Elizabeth Warren.
Coastal Elitist
Tea Party Hater
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.71, S: 2.26

« Reply #66 on: March 07, 2019, 12:38:20 PM »

The same author says this if you actually read it:

A link to conservatism?
But you could also argue the opposite.

Higher salaries and greater success in the job market might pull good-looking people toward more conservative views when it comes to taxes or economic justice.

Since conservatives, on average, dislike sexual freedom more than liberals do, identifying with conservatives for economic reasons – or simply moving in conservative social circles – might make the beautiful less, not more, tolerant where sex is concerned.

Along these lines, studies have found that good looks are associated with conservatism among politicians.

Thread should be titled: study finds that attractive people tend to have more liberal social views and more conservative economic views
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #67 on: March 07, 2019, 04:26:20 PM »

Alternative title:

Stay classy.

Why do you assume a person using the phrase “one-night stand” is being judgmental? Beyond that, it’s a completely rational assessment of self interest.

When linked to support of abortion, it implicitly conjures images I'm a very puritanical looking down one's nose at supposedly loose and irresponsible women it sounds like something that would he said buy some dope who thinks Planned Parenthood gives away a membership card you can get stamped so your sixth abortion is free.

However, since the poster in question subsequently indicated that he actually supports abortion, maybe I'm being more sensitive than he is being crass. Or perhaps a bit of both
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2019, 02:10:07 AM »

Reversed causality.  Attractive people have more sex, so they're of course going to have more permissive attitudes about sex.  If the research could have somehow controlled for survey participants' "looseness", I suspect this correlation would have fallen away.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2019, 02:30:38 AM »

But Fox News told me that liberal women were ugly.

It’s true, liberal women like Tulsi Gabbard and Kyrsten sinema can never live up to the likes of conservative women like Kim Davis and Karen Pence

Yeah, and Tomi Lahren is hotter than Sally Kohn.  Anyone who actually thinks there is a strong correlation smells of confirmation bias.

I mean, it's not PC to say but Fox literally hires Barbie dolls.  It's probably half the reason its viewership is so high.  How many people watch Tomi Lahren because they actually care what she has to say?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #70 on: March 08, 2019, 07:30:10 AM »

Reversed causality.  Attractive people have more sex, so they're of course going to have more permissive attitudes about sex.
but it doesn't even say that much.  It says people who are viewed as better looking than average (which is very silly grouping as it's so subjective) are 51% in favor of abortion.  That's it.  They say that all the other topics showed the same kind of bias.  The fact that the one they show as example of that is this freaking weak makes me seriously doubt the "science" behind this.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies