SB 9101: Consistency in Immigration Status Act Thread II (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 05:27:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 9101: Consistency in Immigration Status Act Thread II (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: SB 9101: Consistency in Immigration Status Act Thread II (Passed)  (Read 1039 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 05, 2019, 02:49:22 AM »
« edited: March 30, 2019, 04:02:30 PM by Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee »

A HOUSE BILL

To apply consistency in Atlasian immigration policy

Be it Enacted in Both Houses of Congress Assembled,

Section 1
This Act shall be cited as the Consistency in Immigration Status Act.

Section 2
No undocumented immigrant who has continuously resided in Atlasia prior to April 19, 2007 shall be considered for deportation solely due to their undocumented status.

People's House of Representatives
Passed in the House of Representatives 6-3-0-0

People's Regional Senate
Pending

Sponsor: Maineiac4434
Senate Designation: SB 9101
Original Thread: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=311108.0
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 07:41:15 AM »

This seems like an amnesty bill of sorts right? Where illegal inmigrants will be protected from deportation (even if it also doesn't give them a path to citizenship).

I generally disagree on amnesty but this is a fairly harmless bill overall I'd say.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2019, 03:35:51 PM »

I have been told the review of Come out of the Shadows will be available soon.
Fmr. Representative Encke
Encke
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 03:50:29 AM »

Alright, an analysis can be found here:
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=308863.msg6700442#msg6700442

If more information is needed about a specific part of the bill, give me the word and I'll add that on.

I'll also add that the countries qualifying for aid (as described in Section 5.1 of COOTS) are the same as what they were in 2017 (Mexico, El Salvador, Guatemala), as they were the only countries contributing 5% or greater to the undocumented population at the time of the bill's passage. I would expect some increase in immigration from countries in East Asia due to the recent war, but that wouldn't affect anything in a potential analysis of that section because the qualifying countries will only be reevaluted by the SoS after 2021.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2019, 07:03:31 PM »

If more information is needed about a specific part of the bill, give me the word and I'll add that on.

I'll also add that the countries qualifying for aid (as described in Section 5.1 of COOTS) are the same as what they were in 2017 (Mexico, El Salvador, Guatemala), as they were the only countries contributing 5% or greater to the undocumented population at the time of the bill's passage. I would expect some increase in immigration from countries in East Asia due to the recent war, but that wouldn't affect anything in a potential analysis of that section because the qualifying countries will only be reevaluted by the SoS after 2021.

What is the main factor delaying implementation of entry-exit system?
Encke
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2019, 10:26:15 PM »

• technical and operational challenges in the development of more sophisticated verification software (notably, a lower-than-expected confirmation rate during testing)
  • potential lack of dedicated staff to oversee operation of the new system in some locations
  • general inertia
  • concerns about dedicated long-term funding for updating potentially outdated systems (plus a healthy amount of concern trolling)
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 05:21:42 PM »

• technical and operational challenges in the development of more sophisticated verification software (notably, a lower-than-expected confirmation rate during testing)
  • potential lack of dedicated staff to oversee operation of the new system in some locations
  • general inertia
  • concerns about dedicated long-term funding for updating potentially outdated systems (plus a healthy amount of concern trolling)

What do you mean by the fourth one on the list?
Encke
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2019, 08:09:56 PM »

• general inertia

What do you mean by the fourth one on the list?

Future updates to the software/hardware may need to be made down the line, and dedicated personnel will need to be hired who will be able to stay up to date in the operation of these systems. Thus, additional funding may be required beyond the initial costs of setting up the verification system. Note that these are not my opinions, but the opinions that have been expressed by a handful of airport officials. Analyze that however you want.

These are somewhat valid concerns but are sometimes made by those who are adverse to taking initial steps towards making any infrastructural changes in the first place, hence the comment about concern trolling.

I'll add that some smaller, older airports that were not originally built to handle departure inspections may need to make extensive changes and renovations.

As a resource, here's a paper that outlines some other potential logistical problems that could face airports and other ports of exit/entry:
http://cdn.bipartisanpolicy.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/default/files/BPC%20Immigration%20Entry-Exit%20System%20Progress%2C%20Challenges%2C%20and%20Outlook.pdf
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2019, 02:59:42 PM »

I move for a final vote, Senators have 24 hours to object.

I was considering offering an amendment, but I have decided to avoid pursuing that on this vehicle.
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.30, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2019, 05:00:05 PM »

I support this. (I voted for it while in the House)
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2019, 05:23:51 PM »

I am unsure what to vote here. On one hand I am generally opposed to amnesty and think we should deport illegal inmigrants. On the other hand, in this bill we are talking about people who have spent the last 12 years at the very least in Atlasia, a really long period of time where they've already had their lives sorted out.

So I'm very conflicted on this.

I generally think that illegal inmigrants should be deported as soon as possible; otherwise you run into problems like this one.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2019, 12:32:53 AM »

Senators, a final vote is now open on this legislation, please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2019, 12:35:39 AM »

I am unsure what to vote here. On one hand I am generally opposed to amnesty and think we should deport illegal inmigrants. On the other hand, in this bill we are talking about people who have spent the last 12 years at the very least in Atlasia, a really long period of time where they've already had their lives sorted out.

So I'm very conflicted on this.

I generally think that illegal inmigrants should be deported as soon as possible; otherwise you run into problems like this one.

I used to be one of the biggest immigration hawks on this forum, so much so that Deadflagblues still thinks I am Hitler.

The irony is that both sides have gone to such extremes on the issue IRL, that I am now am a moderate on the issue.

I generally agree with what you say.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2019, 06:40:36 AM »
« Edited: March 29, 2019, 05:45:11 PM by tack50 »

After thinking about it:

Abstain
(vote changed)

I can't possibly vote in good faith for a bill that refuses to deport illegal inmigrants, but on the other hand, these are people who have spent more than a decade in Atlasia and deporting them would cause many hardships and problems. Thus abstaining is the only viable option.
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.30, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2019, 04:06:00 PM »

Aye
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2019, 09:15:31 PM »

Aye, though I wish it was a blanket amnesty bill.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2019, 10:03:48 PM »

Aye
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2019, 02:01:54 PM »

Aye
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2019, 02:40:34 PM »

Nay

After giving it some thought, and viewing tack's expressed concerns, I think that while we should consider normalizing status, especially for the Dreamers and such forth and also yes for people who have been here a while, I think passing this bill without some form of attached measure to discourage future illegal immigration would thus be irresponsible and could likely lead to a migrant surge similar to that of 2014 where the presumption of cyclical amnesty leads to more illegal immigration.

My earlier desire for an amendment was going to be on this basis, but I couldn't find a way to expedite the the process with regards to entry-exit, which was my preferred approach. In light of these considerations I have decided to vote against the bill.

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2019, 02:44:03 PM »

This has enough votes to pass, Senators have 24 hours to change their votes.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2019, 05:44:37 PM »

After reading Yankee's concerns as well as my original ones plus realizing the fact that a blanket bill might not be the best course of action, I'm changing my vote to

Nay
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2019, 04:02:11 PM »

Vote on final Passage of the Consistency in Immigration Status Act

Aye (4): Devout Centrist, Maineiac, OntarioProgressive, and Vern1988
Nay (2): NC Yankee and Tack50
Abstain (0):

Didn't Vote (0):

With four votes in the affirmative and time having expired, this bill has passed the Senate unchanged and is presented to the President for executive action.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2019, 04:03:46 PM »

Quote from: Final Senate Text
SENATE BILL

Be it Enacted in Both Houses of Congress Assembled,

Section 1

Section 2
No undocumented immigrant who has continuously resided in Atlasia prior to April 19, 2007 shall be considered for deportation solely due to their undocumented status.

People's Regional Senate
Passed 4-2 in the Atlasian Senate Assembled,

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2019, 04:04:48 PM »

Quote from: Final Congressional Text
ACT OF CONGRESS

Enacted in Both Houses of Congress Assembled,

Section 1

Section 2

People's Regional Senate
Passed 4-2 in the Atlasian Senate Assembled,

Joint Passage of Act of Congress

Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2019, 07:38:46 PM »

This legislation still hasn't reached the house, despite passing the senate and there being 9 open legislative slots in the House.

This has already been signed into law dude.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies