My Message to the Atlas Community
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:33:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  My Message to the Atlas Community
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: My Message to the Atlas Community  (Read 2754 times)
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 05, 2019, 05:28:09 PM »

The "Opinion of Joe Republic" thread has revealed to me how awful many of the people on here are. When I first came to this website, I was expecting a place where there would be reasoned and polite discussion on the pressing political and other issues of our times. A place where there could be some humor, but also respect for others, and a capability to remain civil. Instead, what I found is a forum with people who lack any sort of respect for others; people who degrade and demean those who they disagree with; and people who bully those whom they have never met, or never will meet.

The posters on this very thread fit into that box. Whether it be Joe Republic, or ProudModerate2, or Maineac, or DoctorImperialism, or DevoutCentrist, or Gustar, or anyone else who dwells on this forum, it is all the same. You think that you know everything, that you are all saints, and that others should kiss your feet. You delight in scorning those who refuse to buy your narrative, and in scorning those who even dare to deviate from one of your treasured positions. You think that this website is your kingdom, a kingdom which you rule, and a kingdom in which outsiders are not welcome. In other words, you (and by "you", I mean all those with whom I have had difficulties), think that it is either "my way or the highway". Unfortunately, things just don't work that way.

Because I've found this forum to be a disappointment, and because the people on here are unwilling to see otherwise, then what am I supposed to do? What am I supposed to do? Am I supposed to change my avatar, change my views, and adopt a new line? I woiuld think not. Now, I will admit that I am not perfect; perhaps my "meltdown" on this thread is the best example of that. I am not a saint, nor am I the best model of behavior. I've done wrong to other people, I've made mistakes, and I've jumped to conclusions. But I am someone who sincerely yearns for dialogue with other people, who yearns to be part of a productive and civil community, and someone who wishes to have an active part in the discussions which are relevant to the lives of the many.

Unfortunately, in spite of my repeated efforts, it appears that everything has been for nought. And I strongly suspect that no one of what I've just said will matter to any of you. You will continue to laugh and to scorn me, and you won't make any effort to reach a common ground. It is my dire wish that everything which has transpired between us could be wiped away, and that we could start anew. I would like to forgive you, and I would like for you to forgive me. But alas, it is not to be. And since it's not to be, it will probably be best for me to step away from this site.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 05:59:42 PM »

...and there was much rejoicing!
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2019, 06:07:36 PM »

byeeeeeeeeeeeeee

don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2019, 06:17:46 PM »

God protect me against false idolaters
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2019, 06:22:49 PM »

It is rather sad, actually. If he behaves the same way in RL as he did on the Atlas, his life is going to be very difficult.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2019, 06:27:25 PM »

Would someone mind explaining this all for me?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2019, 07:04:08 PM »

it will probably be best for me to step away from this site.

your resolution lasted exactly twenty-five minutes and twenty-eight seconds.

Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2019, 07:12:54 PM »

It is rather sad, actually. If he behaves the same way in RL as he did on the Atlas, his life is going to be very difficult.

It still perplexes me how he is either unable to make the connection between his own behavior and the response to said behavior, or can but refuses to adjust. Making it a point to publicly cast judgement on every single poster who slighted him, usually ending with his infamous ignore list, and then also making broad, negative pronouncements about users of an ideological stripe that represent more than half the forum, is going to put you on a lot of people's sh**t list.

I don't think much attention should have been paid to all of this, but it's downright silly to think that one can do all that and not expect users to hit back. And the internet being the internet, they will hit back constantly. Especially when he inflames the situation on a regular basis by reminding everyone how terrible he thinks leftist users on this forum are.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2019, 07:20:03 PM »

pronouncements about users of an ideological stripe that represent more than half the forum....

Yeah.....

But we won the election.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2019, 07:21:59 PM »

pronouncements about users of an ideological stripe that represent more than half the forum....

Yeah.....

But we won the election.

Some of My Best Friends Are Gay
Enlightened_Centrist 420
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2019, 07:24:17 PM »

I'd like to personally thank you for giving me some pretty hardy laughs, especially when you claimed that those posters who "mock" you are possessed by demons or something and will burn in hell.

RIP freedom fighter 🕊️
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2019, 07:43:20 PM »

It still perplexes me how he is either unable to make the connection between his own behavior and the response to said behavior, or can but refuses to adjust. Making it a point to publicly cast judgement on every single poster who slighted him, usually ending with his infamous ignore list, and then also making broad, negative pronouncements about users of an ideological stripe that represent more than half the forum, is going to put you on a lot of people's sh**t list.

I don't think much attention should have been paid to all of this, but it's downright silly to think that one can do all that and not expect users to hit back. And the internet being the internet, they will hit back constantly. Especially when he inflames the situation on a regular basis by reminding everyone how terrible he thinks leftist users on this forum are.

The most telling thing about Calthrina's ignore list was his inability to actually follow through with ignoring those he put there.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2019, 07:44:31 PM »

DoctorImperialism is a dick though, even if the OP is way too sensitive for Atlas.
Some of My Best Friends Are Gay
Enlightened_Centrist 420
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2019, 07:57:32 PM »

DoctorImperialism is a dick though, even if the OP is way too sensitive for Atlas.

I've only been on here like 2 weeks and I've already noticed most posters here seem to be dicks. I thought it was part of the charm Huh
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2019, 08:03:51 PM »

The OP has demonstrated a thin skin, no sense of humor, and a high level of self-righteousness.  Not a good combination.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2019, 08:26:04 PM »

The OP has demonstrated a thin skin, no sense of humor, and a high level of self-righteousness.  Not a good combination.

I agree.  He should be more like me.  Push back, don't take crap, and ruin the echo chamber for the people he dislikes.

And he's got generally good taste in who one should dislike, with a few exceptions.

heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2019, 08:29:27 PM »

Don't talk to me or my son ever again.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2019, 09:13:04 PM »

thank u, next
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2019, 09:24:16 PM »

I seem to remember Calthrina saying he had Asperger's, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was a severe case (obviously not saying that as an insult, just saying that as somebody who knows several people with Asperger's). It's pretty sad that he felt so strongly about what the rest of us consider quite nebulous stuff. On the other hand, even if he had a shocking lack of awareness, he received some honest and well intentioned advice from people on this board about how he could improve his contributions to the community and/or about cutting down on how much he used this site. He apparently never even considered any of that well intentioned advice. There are some behaviors that are just beyond being attributable to Asperger's.

Anyway, wish you well, even if you were kind of a pain in the ass. If you ever want to take a drive up I-25 and smoke a j, let me know. Maybe it would mellow you out.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2019, 09:26:03 PM »

If you are serious about leaving, at least for a little bit, I hope you self-reflect on the criticisms brought against you on your history here. Doing so will make you a better voice for what you hold to be true, or at least takes it enough to fake it to make it like some other posters here.

After being ridiculed for poor grammar, excessive flooding of boards with citations, and other transgressions I changed my own self for the better after taking a short self-exile from the board. When I returned, I became a demonstrably much better poster in all categories. I urge you to do the same.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2019, 09:39:39 PM »

There goes my favorite copypasta factory.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2019, 09:53:56 PM »

I love Calthrina even though I strongly disagree with him on Omar and it's upsetting to see him bullied off here. If you're reading this Calthrina, I'm with you!
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2019, 12:38:41 AM »

Fear not, as Atlas abhors a vacuum, and another shall appear to take Cal's place, or sadly Cal shall return to refill the vacuum he himself once filled and has created anew.  Something, something.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2019, 04:04:11 AM »

Yeah, we should all be as introspective, self-critical, humble and compromising as you Calthrina. Your post here is a great example of the sort of civility this forum badly needs.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2019, 06:52:05 AM »

Sorry, didn't read.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to: