Nevada: Senate Majority Leader Kelvin Atkinson (D) resigns
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:55:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Nevada: Senate Majority Leader Kelvin Atkinson (D) resigns
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Nevada: Senate Majority Leader Kelvin Atkinson (D) resigns  (Read 465 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 05, 2019, 08:58:17 PM »

https://thenevadaindependent.com/article/senate-majority-leader-kelvin-atkinson-to-resign-amid-federal-charges-of-misappropriating-campaign-funds

Democratic Senate Majority Leader Kelvin Atkinson resigned from his legislative seat on Tuesday in a tear-filled speech on the Senate floor, announcing he would be pleading guilty to federal charges of misappropriation of campaign funds for personal use and taking “full responsibility” for his actions.

The sudden, emotional resignation marks a precipitous fall for Atkinson, the state’s third African-American and first openly gay Senate majority leader. A legislative mainstay, the Las Vegas Democrat was first elected to the Assembly in 2002 and joined the Senate after the 2012 election.

Atkinson acknowledged in his speech that he had used campaign funds for his personal use and said that he would be “pleading guilty for those actions when that time comes.” He declined to comment further on the case before and after the floor session, saying the disposition of the case was not final and he would be referring all questions to his attorney, Richard Wright.

Court documents related to the charges had not been posted online as of late Tuesday morning. Wright said in an email that Atkinson will plead guilty to a federal misuse of campaign funds charge in Las Vegas, which is both a state and federal crime and carries a maximum sentence of up to 20 years.

State Sen. Nicole Cannizzaro, who previously served as Atkinson’s deputy, was elected to succeed him as majority leader in a unanimous vote of the Senate Democratic Caucus Tuesday afternoon.

SD-4 is Safe D fwiw
LoneStarDem
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 09:52:55 PM »

Not surprised.
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 12:01:00 PM »

Wow, other than Titan Sisolak, women are dominating Nevada politics these days. Cool
LoneStarDem
United States
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 12:25:38 PM »

Wow, other than Titan Sisolak, women are dominating Nevada politics these days. Cool

Big question is will NV have a female Governor in the future ? It's not a question of if, but when...
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2019, 01:05:32 PM »

Big question is will NV have a female Governor in the future ? It's not a question of if, but when...

I was a little surprised by the margin with which Sisolak beat Chris G. in the primary, but otherwise most of the candidates-in-waiting are women (from both parties -- the only statewide R remaining in office is a woman too).  I'd say probably in 2026, unless Sisolak doesn't seek reelection for some reason.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2019, 05:40:27 PM »

I guess I’ll have to take him off my list of rising stars. :/
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2019, 05:42:15 PM »

I was a little surprised by the margin with which Sisolak beat Chris G. in the primary, but otherwise most of the candidates-in-waiting are women (from both parties -- the only statewide R remaining in office is a woman too).  I'd say probably in 2026, unless Sisolak doesn't seek reelection for some reason.

That race would be Aaron Ford's to lose unless Rosen calls it quits in 2024 (which I could see happening to be fair).
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2019, 05:48:01 PM »

That race would be Aaron Ford's to lose unless Rosen calls it quits in 2024 (which I could see happening to be fair).

Do tell?

Rosen just doesn't strike me as a lifer. She entered electoral politics fairly late at night following a very diverse background prior to seeking for office, so I could see her wanting to pursue other activities.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies