Group: Iraq is torturing children to coerce confessions
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:49:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Group: Iraq is torturing children to coerce confessions
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Group: Iraq is torturing children to coerce confessions  (Read 466 times)
PSOL
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 06, 2019, 06:20:10 PM »

https://apnews.com/bf1f76037fff497898eec73fffae2663
Iraq and the Kurdish regional government have charged hundreds of children with terrorism for alleged affiliation with the Islamic State group, often using torture to coerce confessions, Human Rights Watch said Wednesday.

In a report, the New York-based group estimated that Iraqi and Kurdish authorities were holding approximately 1,500 children for alleged IS affiliation in detention at the end of 2018. It said the prosecutions are often based on dubious accusations and forced confessions obtained through torture.

The children are then sentenced to prison in hasty and unfair trials, HRW said.

This type of behavior is exactly what lead to ISIS emerging in the first place. Iraqi forces and their American handlers harassed normal Sunni civilians with little due process to fill up those prisons. Repeating those same mistakes will just boil up the community for another uprising down the road
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 06:21:59 PM »

But I was told the U.S. brought democracy and human rights to Iraq.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 06:25:47 PM »

The thing is that they actually are a democracy now. A very flawed and intercepted one by the powers around, but still better than before. Hopefully Iraq develops a rule-of-law and codified due process, one way or another.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 06:49:23 PM »

Iraq and the Kurdish regional government have charged hundreds of children with terrorism for alleged affiliation with the Islamic State group, often using torture to coerce confessions, Human Rights Watch said Wednesday.

In a report, the New York-based group estimated that Iraqi and Kurdish authorities were holding approximately 1,500 children for alleged IS affiliation in detention at the end of 2018. It said the prosecutions are often based on dubious accusations and forced confessions obtained through torture.

This type of behavior is exactly what lead to ISIS emerging in the first place. Iraqi forces and their American handlers harassed normal Sunni civilians with little due process to fill up those prisons. Repeating those same mistakes will just boil up the community for another uprising down the road

Without funding from the Gulf States, it’s unlikely that a new uprising will be as ugly as the last one. Also I think there’s limits of how forgiving we can expect the Shia and Kurds to be. Yes it would be better, if they didn’t do this, but even compared to the Sunni Arab, when they was the nicest to the Shia and Kurds, neither the Kurds or the Shia are a tenth as bad.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2019, 07:00:26 PM »

Without funding from the Gulf States, it’s unlikely that a new uprising will be as ugly as the last one. Also I think there’s limits of how forgiving we can expect the Shia and Kurds to be. Yes it would be better, if they didn’t do this, but even compared to the Sunni Arab, when they was the nicest to the Shia and Kurds, neither the Kurds or the Shia are a tenth as bad.
So oppressing those most hurt by ISIS is okay? The fact remains that most Sunnis didn’t and still don’t support these oppressors, with many participating in armed resistance on the down low.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2019, 07:08:45 PM »

So oppressing those most hurt by ISIS is okay? The fact remains that most Sunnis didn’t and still don’t support these oppressors, with many participating in armed resistance on the down low.

While this is very sad and all that, tens of thousands of Yemenite children are dying in famine/ epidemic right now, which Saudi Arabia have active created with American support. Maybe USA should focus on the much worse things it could change more or less by presidential decree.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2019, 07:10:59 PM »

The thing is that they actually are a democracy now. A very flawed and intercepted one by the powers around, but still better than before. Hopefully Iraq develops a rule-of-law and codified due process, one way or another.

True, I've meant "democratic values".
Karpatsky
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2019, 12:41:11 PM »

This is the fundamental flaw in neoconservative foreign policy - you can't have democracy without democrats, as institutions do not stand on their own.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2019, 07:21:59 PM »

We lied.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2019, 05:19:30 PM »

This is the fundamental flaw in neoconservative foreign policy - you can't have democracy without democrats, as institutions do not stand on their own.

Free elections on their own do not a democracy make, although full democracies can still have plenty of human rights abuses.
Karpatsky
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2019, 05:22:29 PM »

Free elections on their own do not a democracy make, although full democracies can still have plenty of human rights abuses.

Exactly.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies