A question to opebo about opebonomics.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:33:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  A question to opebo about opebonomics.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A question to opebo about opebonomics.  (Read 900 times)
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 12, 2005, 02:23:19 AM »

Consider a hypothetical.  Let's say that you help a Keynesian-economist mayor of the city your living in get elected.  Since this is a liberal big city area, he gets in without a problem and he has no problem getting through his minimum wage law-a raise to $15 an hour.

Now this is a city you like living in, prudery is down 40%, minimum wage is up, but your out and about one night-and you see her.  The hottest prostitute in not only the town, but probably the whole continent.  You invite her into your car and she says that she'll give you a good, long, job for $10, since she likes you.  She fully intends to go down for a lot longer than an hour-and it's quite clear

Now do you
1. Kick her out of the car because she's clearly violating the law that you support
2.Keep going with it knowing the you've violated your own principles
3.other-please explain to me

Tongue
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2005, 06:46:50 AM »

Now do you
1. Kick her out of the car because she's clearly violating the law that you support
2.Keep going with it knowing the you've violated your own principles
3.other-please explain to me

Obviously this sort of interaction would fall outside the purview of government regulation, and in fact given your description of her reasons for offering me the discount, outside the realm of pure commerce itself (doubtful, but possible). 

I do not consider 'principle' to have anything to do with any of these issues, but rather interests and political power.  As an individual of course I would take what I could get, whether it be a freebie or a discount, but clearly such discounts are unlikely even in the current system, and would be even less so if the woman could make $15/hour at any job. 

Regulation cannot necessarily penetrate into every aspect of economic interaction, Milk, nor do I think it is worth the effort to try to make it so.  We can rely upon the effect of regulation upon the market in general to correct problems within areas of the market not directly regulated.  For example, the union movement historically had an enormous effect of increasing the wages of non-union workers.  While typically workers in 'skilled trades' in larger urban areas were  unionized, in many cases their fellows doing the same jobs in the areas of suburban growth in nearby rural and small town areas were not.  Still, those workers were paid much more than they would otherwise be, due to the 'pull' of the main urban labour market.  Contractors in these far-flung areas had to pay their non-union workers nearly as much as they would have to pay unionized ones, in order to prevent them moving on to the jobs in the city.

Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2005, 02:12:16 PM »

The prostitute is probably self-employed, and has no employer-employee relationship with opebo, rather she is providing a service to him. Such things are not usually covered by minimum wage laws.

Regardless, I'm sure that Opebo would have no problem paying the slut at least minimum wage, in fact, I'm sure he'd pay a lot more than minimum wage. If she chooses to charge less than he is willing to pay, that's not his fault.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2005, 02:32:29 PM »

Regardless, I'm sure that Opebo would have no problem paying the slut

In many ways the term 'slut' is most inappropriate when refering to a prostitute.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I am price-conscious, of course, but excessive bargain-hunting in this field can lead to poor services.  One wishes to appear to be 'in the know', but not priortizing economy over all other considerations.  Back in St. Louis that seemed to keep me in the $50-100 range, and here in Southeast Asia in the $10-20 range.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2005, 04:10:11 PM »

Prostitutes aren't sluts. Sluts give it away for free.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2005, 04:14:22 PM »

No... "slut" is just another word for prostitute. Which is why it's considered to be an insult (and doesn't it just *sound* like one?)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2005, 04:16:24 PM »

No... "slut" is just another word for prostitute. Which is why it's considered to be an insult (and doesn't it just *sound* like one?)

I know several girls who'd be considered sluts who have never charged anyone for sex, one who proudly uses the term to describe herself.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2005, 10:32:54 AM »

No, Al, 'slut' has several meanings:

slut    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (slt)
n.

A woman considered sexually promiscuous.
A woman prostitute.
A slovenly woman; a slattern.

Only one of which corresponds to the term 'prostitute':

prosˇtiˇtute    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (prst-tt, -tyt)
n.
One who solicits and accepts payment for sex acts.

So as you can see your characterization of the term 'slut' as 'just another word for prostitute' is inaccurate.  Besides, why should being a prostitute be considered an insult?  I suppose it implies that the person in question is a poor, and must toil for their sustenance, so I'll accept that.  In our society poverty is certainly the most shameful characteristic a person can have.  But why should female promiscuity be considered shameful?  Of course it isn't by reasonable people such as BRTD and I.  It is only disgusting misogynists such as yourself that apply such a cruel double standard to women.  Al, you prude, your woman-hating is just your own subjective preference, and I suggest you keep it to yourself.

definitions from dictionary.com

12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2005, 03:55:46 PM »
« Edited: November 13, 2005, 04:05:48 PM by Supersoulty »

I acctually agree with Opebo here, a "slut" is someone who does it for free and often and with many different partners.  The slang term for a prostitute is "whore".

P.S. And a "skank" is a girl who looks and acts really slutty but acctually doesn't do sexual things as often as a slut.  Basically, she is just trying to get attention.

P.S.S. Or, probably better put, a skank dresses like a whore, acts like a slut, but in reality is neither.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2005, 06:40:18 AM »

I acctually agree with Opebo here, a "slut" is someone who does it for free and often and with many different partners.  The slang term for a prostitute is "whore".

P.S. And a "skank" is a girl who looks and acts really slutty but acctually doesn't do sexual things as often as a slut.  Basically, she is just trying to get attention.

P.S.S. Or, probably better put, a skank dresses like a whore, acts like a slut, but in reality is neither.

Interesting, good points SuperSoulty.  Though I have also heard 'skank' used simply for any unattractive female, regardless of behaviour.  Still no response from Al.  Perhaps he's out insulting poor women.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies