Minnehaha County, SD
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 08:18:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Minnehaha County, SD
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Minnehaha County, SD  (Read 564 times)
walleye26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 09, 2019, 06:32:39 PM »

Why does Minnehaha vote Republican? (Besides being very white).
Unironic Kamala Harris for President Supporter
BeastCoast
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2019, 06:36:34 PM »

What other reason is there?
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2019, 07:56:00 PM »

My county votes Republican for reasons similar to why Cass County, ND and Woodbury County, IA vote Republican; Sioux Falls is a small city on the Plains, much like Fargo or Sioux City (Trump carried all three cities).  Also, Minnehaha still has many rural areas; many of my city's suburbs are just tiny towns.

While Sioux Falls many not be as small as Sioux City or Fargo, Sioux City voted more Republican last time.  The reason why Sioux Falls may now vote somewhat to the right of Fargo is because we lack a major university, something that Fargo has.
walleye26

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2019, 10:23:44 PM »

I’ve heard more minorities are moving into Sioux Falls. Is this true?
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2019, 11:20:06 PM »

I’ve heard more minorities are moving into Sioux Falls. Is this true?

Yes. Its down to "only" about 80% white. Its a fast growing city with good job opportunities and fairly safe so it's attractive to minorities from Omaha, Twin Cities, Des Moines and Kansas City.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 02:15:10 AM »
« Edited: March 19, 2019, 02:26:20 AM by TML »

If you look at the results in this county by precinct, you will notice that in the 2016 election, Clinton won only the core part of Sioux Falls by relatively small margins, while Trump won almost all other parts of the county by relatively large margins. These two factors combine to produce a Republican blowout in the county overall.

On the other hand, Obama in 2008 was able to win more precincts in the outer parts of Sioux Falls, and was also able to keep his losing margins in outer precincts to levels smaller than Clinton's in 2016, which resulted in him eking out a narrow win in the county overall.

As I've said elsewhere, if the urban core of a county votes Democratic narrowly while the rest of the county votes Republican overwhelmingly, the result is usually a Republican win countywide; if the urban core votes Democratic overwhelmingly such that almost all of the city votes Democratic while Republican margins in other parts of the county are held in check, the result could be a Democratic win countywide.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies