Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 25, 2019, 08:09:35 am
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

Atlas Forum
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderators: Gustaf, Cath)
  Opinion of Bill Nye
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Poll
Question: skip
#1positive  
#2negative  
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 60

Author Topic: Opinion of Bill Nye  (Read 1191 times)
Beck 2020
tmcusa2
YaBB God
Uruguay

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 11, 2019, 10:09:36 am »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekNaONTnZTE
Representative Carpetbagger
CELTICEMPIRE
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 10:16:54 am »

I enjoyed his show as a kid, I wish people would stop acting like he's an expert.
James Monroe
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 10:23:09 am »

Great educator to children. People like him, Tyson, and the late Carl Sagan are needed in this web of anti-intellectualism in America.
Beck 2020
tmcusa2
YaBB God
Uruguay

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 10:46:44 am »

Great educator to children. People like him, Tyson, and the late Carl Sagan are needed in this web of anti-intellectualism in America.
Yes.

I read "the Demon Haunted World" by Sagan, an excellent book.
dead0man
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 11:39:57 am »

Nye is not in the same league as Tyson and Sagan.  Hell, nobody is in the same league as Sagan.

(I'm biased, I like Carl Sagan so much my dog is named Sagan...which might have been a mistake, it sounds a lot like Satan when I'm yelling at him to come in/stop barking at the neighbors/explaining to them why astrology isn't real Smiley )
James Monroe
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 11:50:13 am »

Nye is not in the same league as Tyson and Sagan.  Hell, nobody is in the same league as Sagan.

Nye may be simplistic compared to the complexity of the other two science guys. You gotta remember that Nye teaches children about the wonder of science and explain the various concepts by breaking them down in a level they can understand. He's unleash a love of science into the younger generation that has proven to be as influential as Sagan was for kids of the eighties.
Snowguy716
snowguy716
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2019, 12:18:39 pm »

Nye may be simplistic compared to the complexity of the other two science guys. You gotta remember that Nye teaches children about the wonder of science and explain the various concepts by breaking them down in a level they can understand. He's unleash a love of science into the younger generation that has proven to be as influential as Sagan was for kids of the eighties.
Are we talking about the same Bill Nye?  The guy is an entertainer.  These days he mostly just picks arguments with people who hold outlandish scientific opinions to make himself look “right” and “reasonable”...

Not in Tyson’s league...not even on Sagan’s radar.  I place Nye about where I place the guy that hosted Reading Rainbow
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2019, 02:02:57 am »

Bill Nye made science interesting to me as a kid. Now that I am an adult and hold a degree in a STEM field, I find it hard to care much about what he does. I guess that goes to show that he did a good job of filling his niche as a science popularizer for the young. I voted positive, even though I would never consume the content he produces these days.
RINO Tom
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2019, 09:20:34 am »

Bill Nye made science interesting to me as a kid. Now that I am an adult and hold a degree in a STEM field, I find it hard to care much about what he does. I guess that goes to show that he did a good job of filling his niche as a science popularizer for the young. I voted positive, even though I would never consume the content he produces these days.

This ... effective at his original purpose of engaging children in science but incredibly annoying now a days.
TDAS04
YaBB God
Nepal

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2019, 09:21:46 am »

Always loved his show.
Hugo Award nominee
Nathan
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2019, 12:56:50 pm »

Bill Nye made science interesting to me as a kid. Now that I am an adult and hold a degree in a STEM field, I find it hard to care much about what he does.

This. Voted positive.
HenryWallaceVP
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.48, S: -5.91

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2019, 01:33:19 pm »

HP for his opinions on philosophy.
Santander
YaBB God
Taiwan

Political Matrix
E: 3.54, S: 4.78

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2019, 05:52:52 am »

While he may have started his career as an edutainment personality with noble intentions, he is now just another washed up celebrity who makes too much noise and contributes nothing valuable to the public discourse.
Snowguy716
snowguy716
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2019, 10:16:08 pm »

While he may have started his career as an edutainment personality with noble intentions, he is now just another washed up celebrity who makes too much noise and contributes nothing valuable to the public discourse.
That people think Bill Nye is anything like Carl Sagan... shows how tone deaf they are.
Donborvio
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2019, 12:19:20 am »

FF until a few years ago with that Netflix show. He's majorly derailed.
PSOL
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2019, 01:06:25 am »

His recent actions are by no means enough to tarnish his immense contributions of pwning the anti-reality/science crowd or the countless people inspired to go into STEM from his show.
Let Dogs Survive
MormDem
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2019, 08:55:08 pm »

Meh.

I always liked Beakman's World better in the topic of choice. LeVar Burton was better at actually entertaining. And Sagan won't be topped as a heavyweight in the field anytime soon.
Yellowhammer
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2019, 01:31:52 pm »

Hilarious HP
Snowguy716
snowguy716
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2019, 11:32:16 am »

His recent actions are by no means enough to tarnish his immense contributions of pwning the anti-reality/science crowd or the countless people inspired to go into STEM from his show.
Nye “debating” Ken Ham is hardly pwning the ‘anti-reality/science’ crowd.  Can you name one person he convinced that wasn’t already on his side?
Wazza1901
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: 6.58, S: -3.30

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2019, 04:35:58 am »

A dime store Carl Sagan.
Snowguy716
snowguy716
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2019, 10:13:33 am »

He was recently on Last Week Tonight where his strategy to connect with the youngs was to blowtorch a globe and say f**k about two dozen times.  He’s nothing but an idiotic loudspeaker for the more ineffective scare tactics of environmentalism...which all begins with the premise that people are and should be scared and stupid.
Cath
Cathcon
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2019, 07:28:40 am »

He was recently on Last Week Tonight where his strategy to connect with the youngs was to blowtorch a globe and say f**k about two dozen times.  He’s nothing but an idiotic loudspeaker for the more ineffective scare tactics of environmentalism...which all begins with the premise that people are and should be scared and stupid.

The “f-word” has lost such power in the 2010s because of rampant overuse. It’s like edgy adult animation distilled in a word.
RoboWop
AMB1996
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2019, 09:13:40 am »

Overwhelmingly negative, but I never had a positive impression of him as a child. I can understand those who do hold on to that image of him.
James Monroe
YaBB God

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2019, 03:42:25 pm »

Nye messaging was the right tone of despair and fear the human race should have about our planet. It helps he's communicating to people who watch his show as children, now hearing that cool science teacher you never had say the things he couldn't get away with on PBS is astounding.
dead0man
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2019, 05:18:32 pm »

Nye messaging was the right tone of despair and fear the human race should have about our planet. It helps he's communicating to people who watch his show as children, now hearing that cool science teacher you never had say the things he couldn't get away with on PBS is astounding.
he's not going to change anyone's mind with that kind of rhetoric.  The people that are already true believers shouldn't need this kind of cheer leading.  It was, at best, funny....I didn't think it was funny, but that's the only point for the bit I can see that makes any sense.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length
Logout

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies