Gillum has set an announcement
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:20:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Gillum has set an announcement
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Gillum has set an announcement  (Read 3429 times)
HarrisonL

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 12, 2019, 06:59:59 AM »

Former Tallahassee Mayor, and 2018 Democratic Gubernatorial Nominee in Florida, Andrew Gillum, has set an announcement for March 20, 2019. Thoughts on Gillum 2020? as we see the second Mayor prepare a presidential bid.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 08:29:22 AM »

A presidential run would be a waste of his time. We don't need someone who lost a 2018 race he was supposed to win and has never held federal or statewide office in the race.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 08:29:26 AM »

Former Tallahassee Mayor, and 2018 Democratic Gubernatorial Nominee in Florida, Andrew Gillum, has set an announcement for March 20, 2019. Thoughts on Gillum 2020? as we see the second Mayor prepare a presidential bid.

He doesn't want Wayne Messam to upstage him, I guess Tongue

In all seriousness, he's probably setting up a PAC or something, and the primary talk is just a good advertisement.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 08:29:53 AM »

he's not running for president. not every event anyone has is announcing a presidential bid
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 08:31:14 AM »

He's running for Senate in 2022. I'm sure that's what it is.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 08:39:36 AM »

Could be, buy why announce now? He's probably going to challenge Al Lawson - arguably the most pro-Trump black Democrat - if anything, but I suspect he's running for the big job.

Keep in mind, the reason we're seeing loser candidates suddenly making moves towards the Presidency is based not in politics but rather profit. Running a campaign pays great. You loan yourself some money, you write a book, you collect donations and then basically travel the country while collecting the interest on the initial loan. The rest is cycled through a network of consultants with greased hands who get hired at rates that more often than not well above that of the market and basically help launder the money. Ben Carson was a pro at this. I knew Ben Carson was doing exactly this, but I still paid $30 to buy his book so he can sign it Tongue
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 08:41:55 AM »

he's not running for president. not every event anyone has is announcing a presidential bid
I think all of the Beto and more lately, Stacey Abrams hype has him feeling a bit envious. He lost his race by a closer margin than Beto, so why is he getting all the attention while Gillum gets none. He's a grifter, pure and simple, and running for President pays.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2019, 08:45:02 AM »

Harris juggernaut has left little room for other candidates to join the race with her huge fundraising advantages
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2019, 08:53:50 AM »

Could be, buy why announce now? He's probably going to challenge Al Lawson - arguably the most pro-Trump black Democrat - if anything, but I suspect he's running for the big job.
You don't announce you're running for Congress in the Jacksonville seat from Miami.

My assumption is that this is some sort of voting rights PAC, maybe similar to Jason Kander's Let America Vote effort. There's been no previous effort to lay the groundwork for any presidential campaign.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2019, 09:25:34 AM »

LOL, if he runs for prez, it'll be kind of hilarious.
aaroncd107

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.00

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2019, 10:10:40 AM »

Keep in mind, the reason we're seeing loser candidates suddenly making moves towards the Presidency is based not in politics but rather profit. Running a campaign pays great. You loan yourself some money, you write a book, you collect donations and then basically travel the country while collecting the interest on the initial loan. The rest is cycled through a network of consultants with greased hands who get hired at rates that more often than not well above that of the market and basically help launder the money. Ben Carson was a pro at this. I knew Ben Carson was doing exactly this, but I still paid $30 to buy his book so he can sign it Tongue

If Gillum was going to challenge Lawson, why on earth would he be announcing that campaign in Miami?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2019, 11:04:21 AM »

You don't announce you're running for Congress in the Jacksonville seat from Miami.

My assumption is that this is some sort of voting rights PAC, maybe similar to Jason Kander's Let America Vote effort. There's been no previous effort to lay the groundwork for any presidential campaign.
I was unaware of the Miami location. I guess #BringItHome is on the wayside now, because Miami couldn’t be further away from this dump Tongue
Spiffy
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2019, 11:39:36 AM »

Oh no. Please just run for Congress. I really like him but he lost such a winnable race.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2019, 04:27:26 PM »

Obviously he’s going to primary Shalala
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2019, 06:35:46 PM »

LOL, if he runs for prez, it'll be kind of hilarious.

No it wouldn't. It would be embarrassingly pathetic.
SCNCmod

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2019, 08:08:18 PM »

One Big Difference between Gillum & Beto ...

...is Beto hugely overperformed in a very Red State... whereas Gillum lost in a very winnable state in a race in which he lead in the majority of polls.  Also, he underperformed the other Dem up for statewide election (in Fact there is a good chance Nelson may have won had there not been the faulty ballot issue... which didn't effect Gillum's votes).

But I'm not sure what he will decide to do... Rubio would be very hard to beat, partially because he gets enough of a Dem Latino crossover vote to make the difference.  A young, very likeable, popular Latino/a Dem would probably have the best shot against Rubio imo.
James Monroe

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2019, 09:56:34 PM »

Gillum would be better to put resource into building the Florida party. No need to spend wasteful money on a campaign you know going to win.
Galeel
Oashigo
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2019, 12:39:55 PM »

It’s actually mind-blowing that he’s (presumably) passing on the FL-05 race: Surely given Gillum’s stature, Lawson being more-or-less an accidental Congressman, and the fact that Lawson’s voter base constitutes a much smaller portion of the district’s than Gillum’s, there’s no way he’d win by anything less than 65-35?

Maybe he doesn't want to be in the House.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2019, 08:05:17 PM »

If Messam's running so is he. What a waste for both of them. Messam at least could increase his name recognition and run for a statewide office in the future, even if as he will inevitably lose. 
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2019, 09:01:28 PM »

Man, Messam is basically the new Stewart Greenleaf.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2019, 09:23:16 PM »

Announcing a senate bid for an election more than 3 and a half years out lol.If a Democrat wins in 2020 that seat will be Safe R , heck even if Trump wins that seat will be Lean R closer to Likely than Tossup.

It’s gonna be for either congress or President

Flyersfan232

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2019, 01:48:40 PM »

Gillum would be better to put resource into building the Florida party. No need to spend wasteful money on a campaign you know going to win.
If the Florida Democrats don’t want to care about getting elected I say go for it
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2019, 01:53:17 PM »

If the Florida Democrats don’t want to care about getting elected I say go for it

Well they already seem not to care.
Flyersfan232

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2019, 01:58:04 PM »

U got a Beto 2020 sign
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2019, 02:02:45 PM »

Obviously he’s going to primary Shalala

Even though they live on the opposite ends of the state?
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies