2024 watch: Pompeo visiting Iowa
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:22:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  2024 watch: Pompeo visiting Iowa
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2024 watch: Pompeo visiting Iowa  (Read 3794 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 12, 2019, 04:11:40 PM »

It's still too early for a "Who is running in 2024?" thread, but just flagging the fact that Pompeo just did an Iowa trip, and people in his orbit say he wants to be president one day:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/12/politics/pompeo-domestic-travel/index.html

Those who know Pompeo well, however, say that he has political ambitions that extend beyond just the titles of CIA director and Secretary of State: He would also like to be Secretary of Defense and President of the United States.
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 09:48:57 PM »

Let's not.
Some of My Best Friends Are Gay
Enlightened_Centrist 420
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 09:57:56 PM »

I assume he thinks Trump is going to lose reelection then?

Because I think he's smart enough to realize basically no Republican is winning in 2024 if Trump is reelected.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 09:44:36 PM »

Because I think he's smart enough to realize basically no Republican is winning in 2024 if Trump is reelected.

True. We will probably never see a consecutive third term for a political party a la 1988 again. **2000 and 2016** was the exception, popular vote wise, Bush/Cheney damaged the GOP brand so much that no Republican would have won in 2008 unless John Edwards was on the Democratic ticket.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 12:13:48 AM »

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/434445-pompeo-open-to-future-senate-run-the-lord-will-get-me-to-the-right-place

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has signaled that he's open to a future bid for office, telling The Wichita Eagle that he's not ruling anything out.

“I try to just avoid ruling things out when there’s others who are in control,” Pompeo told the newspaper in a story published Sunday. “The Lord will get me to the right place.”

The newspaper noted that Pompeo could run for Senate or Kansas governor in 2022, if not for president in 2024. Pompeo represented the Kansas's 4th District in the House before joining the Trump administration.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2019, 09:27:00 AM »

More Pompeo 2024 watch: He might run for US Senate in Kansas as a stepping stone to a presidential run:

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/06/25/mike-pompeo-senate-kansas-trump-1378323

For Pompeo, a Senate run could be a prelude to a presidential run in 2024. At the least, a spot in the Senate would keep him politically relevant regardless of Trump’s fate in 2020. Still, some senators said privately that the gravitas of the secretary of State post would position him better for a White House run than if he were one of the most junior senators in the building.

Pompeo himself has spoken privately about the prospect of a presidential run. He and his friend Sen. Tom Cotton (R-Ark.) attended a private dinner at the American Enterprise Institute’s annual retreat in Sea Island, Ga., this spring.

Asked whether he’s considered running for president, Pompeo responded, “I have,” and then pointed at Cotton and joked: “And I might be running against that guy,” according to one attendee.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2019, 09:01:47 AM »

Pompeo says no to Senate but maybe to president:

Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2019, 09:37:09 AM »

Pompeo, who isn't charismatic at all, would lose in 2024 no matter how 2020 turns out, unless a Dem prez has a major scandal or recession.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2019, 04:38:09 PM »

Pass. I'll take Haley or Hawley instead.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2019, 05:55:49 PM »

Pass. I'll take Haley or Hawley instead.

This, even as a liberal Democrat.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2019, 09:46:39 PM »

Hayley, sure, but Hawley is absolutely terrifying.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2019, 10:47:15 PM »

Hawley is terrifyingly awesome. And he’s inevitable too. Try to cope.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2019, 10:57:11 PM »

I look forward to defeating him in 2024. As if a guy with that ideology can win 2024 AZ/GA/TX.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2019, 11:00:27 PM »

I look forward to defeating him in 2024. As if a guy with that ideology can win 2024 AZ/GA/TX.

But he can win MN, ME-AL, WI, PA, MI, and NH, so it kinda cancels out doesn’t it?
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2019, 11:04:58 PM »

Ik Hawley is terrifying and horrible but that doesn't mean the average American swing voter isn't close to him ideologically.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2019, 11:05:22 PM »

But he can win MN, ME-AL, WI, PA, MI, and NH, so it kinda cancels out doesn’t it?
Probably not MN (resembles CO more than WI/MI) and PA is a tossup, and even without them, it's still a Dem win. Also, FL and NC remain competitive.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2019, 11:07:06 PM »

Ik Hawley is terrifying and horrible but that doesn't mean the average American swing voter isn't close to him ideologically.
The average rust belt swing voter (unconvinced if they still swing vote though) is, but the average metropolitan sun belt voter couldn't be further away, and in 2024, that matters far more.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2019, 11:31:41 PM »

Probably not MN (resembles CO more than WI/MI) and PA is a tossup, and even without them, it's still a Dem win. Also, FL and NC remain competitive.

FL, TX, would both be lean R under a Hawley nomination.

How is he terrifying and horrible for any other reason than being a Republican? Partisan much?
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2019, 09:50:26 AM »

Entwined too tightly with the current President. I see Trump not only as a failure but also as a disgrace. Failure but not a disgrace? Hoover or Carter. 
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2019, 02:13:28 PM »

The battleground states are: AZ, CO, NV, NM, TX, unless the GOP have a Latino on the ticket, Pompeo will not win. Marco Rubio star is fading. Cruz is freedom caucus.
Flyersfan232

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2019, 07:35:41 PM »

How about no
Flyersfan232

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2019, 07:36:58 PM »

True. We will probably never see a consecutive third term for a political party a la 1988 again. **2000 and 2016** was the exception, popular vote wise, Bush/Cheney damaged the GOP brand so much that no Republican would have won in 2008 unless John Edwards was on the Democratic ticket.
Yall be claiming Hillary was goo to win in 2016
Flyersfan232

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2019, 07:37:51 PM »

More Pompeo 2024 watch: He might run for US Senate in Kansas as a stepping stone to a presidential run:

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/06/25/mike-pompeo-senate-kansas-trump-1378323

For Pompeo, a Senate run could be a prelude to a presidential run in 2024. At the least, a spot in the Senate would keep him politically relevant regardless of Trump’s fate in 2020. Still, some senators said privately that the gravitas of the secretary of State post would position him better for a White House run than if he were one of the most junior senators in the building.

Pompeo himself has spoken privately about the prospect of a presidential run. He and his friend Sen. Tom Cotton (R-Ark.) attended a private dinner at the American Enterprise Institute’s annual retreat in Sea Island, Ga., this spring.

Asked whether he’s considered running for president, Pompeo responded, “I have,” and then pointed at Cotton and joked: “And I might be running against that guy,” according to one attendee.

He could step down if trump relected and run for governor
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies