Black Republicans
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:48:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Black Republicans
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Black Republicans  (Read 3378 times)
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2019, 10:38:30 PM »

While there's undoubtedly great diversity amongst black Republicans, they generally wear glasses, have mustaches, wear brown leather jackets, and have a white wife.

Yeah, I'm sure Mia Love has a giant mustache.
betcha it is gonna be hard to find another anecdote bud. ANd I swear to god do not say Owens, lol.

Tim Scott doesn't wear glasses or have a mustache. Will Hurd also doesn't have a mustache. Michael Steele is the only prominent black Republican I know of who fits your description - I guess that's where you got it from.
I am pretty sure he was joking, as was I. Anyway, most black conservatives are people who grew up in very homogenous white areas and saw themselves as "white" for the most part.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2019, 10:39:33 PM »

Small business owners and corporate executives.
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.53

« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2019, 11:30:51 PM »

While there's undoubtedly great diversity amongst black Republicans, they generally wear glasses, have mustaches, wear brown leather jackets, and have a white wife.

betcha it is gonna be hard to find another anecdote bud. ANd I swear to god do not say Owens, lol.

Tim Scott doesn't wear glasses or have a mustache. Will Hurd also doesn't have a mustache. Michael Steele is the only prominent black Republican I know of who fits your description - I guess that's where you got it from.

Someone's never watched Key and Peele...
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2019, 11:33:27 PM »

Vice News spoke to many of them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWam9FSRvGI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVIoC5ROaHk

The first one is actually a very good mini-doc.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2019, 01:28:45 AM »

We all know about 10% of Blacks vote Republican. Less known is that it's actually 20% of Black men and <1% of Black women who vote Republican.

So which Blacks vote Republican? Well, men, for one. Beyond that it's hard to tell.

You would think it would be small business owners or social conservatives but I've seen studies that show that doesn't really have an effect. Wealthy Black men still vote 80/20 Democrat and religious Black men still vote 80/20 Democrat.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2019, 02:01:18 AM »

Military/police families, the highly religious, and your occasional extra woke contrarian hotep.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2019, 10:38:36 AM »

Some examples of Black Republicans:

*Black people who believe in fiscal conservatism.

*Black people who believe that the Democratic Party is the "party of the KKK" and the Republicans are the "party of Lincoln" (yes, there are Black people who still believe this nonsense).

*Black people who believe that social liberalism (the pro-choice movement, 3rd wave feminism, LGBT rights, etc) hurt Black people.

*Black people who believe that the Democratic Party wants to "kill Black people through abortion/Planned Parenthood".

*Black people who believe that "White liberals/Democrats are more racist than White conservatives/Republicans".

*Black people who believe that policies such as welfare and integration have "ruined the Black community".

*Black people who are xenophobic thus hate Latino, Black, Asian immigrants.

I could go on and on. However, the number of Black Americans who are Republicans is very small. Even most Black Americans who are socially conservative still vote for the Democratic Party generally.
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2019, 12:42:18 PM »

This is sort of a random aside but the only black woman republican I've ever met in my time on this earth (I've lived in GA my entire life too) was this lady who came into work the day after the 2012 election and some random old white dude asked her out of nowhere if she voted for Obama simply because he was black. I swear this is true. She told him no and explained what it meant to be a conservative black woman. They stood there talking (in my express line at lunch, no less) for about five minutes and the gist of what she told them is that she and her husband are highly religious, affluent lawyers.

I've met a few black guy republicans but that seems to be it.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2019, 01:22:01 PM »

How soon they forget
Some of My Best Friends Are Gay
Enlightened_Centrist 420
YaBB God

« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2019, 02:06:42 PM »

My girlfriend's estranged* father actually voted for Trump in 2016, as far as I know.

I can't quite discern anything about him that would make him be a Republican or vote that way, although if I had to guess I would say he's probably sexist and would never vote for a woman, there's also a chance he's racist towards Hispanics as well but I can't confirm that. overall he's a pretty normal dude, although on one ocasion I recall him getting drunk and saying a bunch of crazy vaguely political sh!t that's too obscene to describe here - let's just say it was extremely sexist and also weirdly nationalistic.

*To be clear, he's not estranged from the family due to his political views, lol.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2019, 06:09:29 PM »

https://youtu.be/JBC-9k3y1ew
FalloutBoy97
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.92

« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2019, 07:10:50 PM »

How soon they forget

Also Ken Blackwell
Scottholes 2.0
Wisconsinite
United States

« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2019, 07:49:32 PM »

Members of religious cults and embodiments of male privilege.

"Male privilege" isn't a thing in the African-American community. It's quite the opposite, but white liberals refuse to acknowledge that.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2019, 11:29:55 PM »

There are a whole hell of a lot more black conservatives than there are black Republicans (or black people who vote for Republicans). I don’t know exactly which demographics do vote for Republicans, but I’d guess socially and economically conservative black people who are simultaneously not old enough to remember how awful the Reagan Administration was but who ARE old enough to have had high hopes for Obama in 2008 that were subsequently not lived up to?

“Im pissed. ROYALLY pissed.”

lmao
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2019, 12:16:18 AM »

"Male privilege" isn't a thing in the African-American community. It's quite the opposite, but white liberals refuse to acknowledge that.

With all the police shootings in the news I don't know how anyone could say black men are privileged.
Enlightened_Centrist 420
YaBB God

« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2019, 12:19:28 AM »

With all the police shootings in the news I don't know how anyone could say black men are privileged.

James Monroe could.

He represents the worst of the modern Democratic Party, as can be seen in his absurd takes on Sanders, including literally attacking him for being against identity politics lmao.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2019, 12:20:52 AM »

Quite true, but i wouldn't expect the biggest neoliberal shill on Atlas to grasp that.
Wazza [INACTIVE]
Wazza1901
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2019, 07:08:58 AM »

Its not a monolithic group obviously but considering demographic breakdown of the African American community they'd be more likely to be male, slightly more likely to be young and college educated (funny enough), more likely to be high income, more likely to be religious, etc.
James Monroe

« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2019, 09:58:32 PM »
« Edited: April 02, 2019, 10:01:48 PM by James Monroe »

James Monroe could.

He represents the worst of the modern Democratic Party, as can be seen in his absurd takes on Sanders, including literally attacking him for being against identity politics lmao.

Black men are still more higher up on the social chain than black women, who are the most disadvantaged racial group in American politics. I'm not whitewashing the horrific violence against black men just pointing out the Republican types will likely be of some variety instead of those who are getting screwed by the system.

Quite true, but i wouldn't expect the biggest neoliberal shill on Atlas to grasp that.

Untrue, I acknowledge the social disadvantages black men have on the social ladder.

I'm not a neoliberal but a true progressive Democrat of the Democratic Party.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2019, 11:54:19 AM »

“Im pissed. ROYALLY pissed.”

I understood those references.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2019, 12:11:05 PM »

Military/police families and entrepreneur/corporate types who live in very conservative, monolithically White suburbs (i.e., Williamson County, TN)
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2019, 07:34:12 PM »

There are a ton of black Pentecostals, SDAs, and other conservative Christian groups out there.

There are, but many of them vote Democratic.

Black voters are turned off by the GOP because of their embrace of measures designed to depress black voter turnout.  Blacks view this as a "survival issue", and rightly so.  If the GOP stopped its Voter ID initiatives and such, it would likely attract a certain percentage of black voters who are religious and/or entrepreneurial. 
Enlightened_Centrist 420
YaBB God

« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2019, 08:50:45 PM »

There are a ton of black Pentecostals, SDAs, and other conservative Christian groups out there.

There are, but many of them vote Democratic.

Black voters are turned off by the GOP because of their embrace of measures designed to depress black voter turnout.  Blacks view this as a "survival issue", and rightly so.  If the GOP stopped its Voter ID initiatives and such, it would likely attract a certain percentage of black voters who are religious and/or entrepreneurial. 

No, it wouldn't.

Black people in general are overwhelmingly religious, and the (racist) idea that black people only vote for Democrats because they want handouts is simply not true. if this was the case, Richard Nixon would not have won 32% of the black vote in 1960. It's clear that Goldwater, the Southern Strategy, Reagnism, and now Trumpism, have turned off almost all black voters because they have no reason to vote for a party that relies on pandering to poorly educated whites and no one else.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2019, 09:30:42 PM »

I'm going to have to refer the OP to my mother who still believe that Black Republicans only exist in places where they can be seen like on television, online, and the radio. You rarely find one in public. Well, at least I haven't.     
My dad was one. LOL. I need to sit down with him and see why. He oddly supported Mike Huckabee in the 2008 Republican Primary but voted for Obama that fall, voted in 2012 GOP Primary (IDK who) and Romney later that year, voted in 2016 GOP Primary (Don't know who voted for- definitely NOT Trump), and did a write-in that fall (he DESPISED Hillary). Somehow or another he ended up ardently supporting Stacey Abrams (probably because I didn't shut up about her). I'll see if he has fully converted in 2020. He seems to be very skeptical of the entire political process and can be swayed either way. He's not ideological at all and has the mindset that all white people have ulterior motives so "RePuBlICaNS aRE RaCiST" doesn't stick with him.

Aside from that Romney mis-step, your father sounds like the greatest living American.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies