LC 1.10 Lincoln Carbon Act
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:58:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  LC 1.10 Lincoln Carbon Act
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: LC 1.10 Lincoln Carbon Act  (Read 403 times)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 14, 2019, 04:11:58 PM »
« edited: March 14, 2019, 04:26:02 PM by All States will be D »

Lincoln Carbon Act of 2019

regulates carbon emissions in the region and creates free market mechanisms for assessment, penalties, and implementation

Section 1: The total estimated carbon starting in 2022 will be multiplied by 1.4 and each individual in Lincoln will have an equal share of this amount.

Section 2: Regulations governing individuals.

2.1 Children's carbon is managed by their parents/guardians but may not be sold to other people but they be bought carbon.
   2.2 Individuals who are more than 10% under their personal caps can apply 50% of the remaining overhead next year's cap. This exemption may not be claimed in consecutive years, and accumulated overhead does not stack.

Section 3: Regulations governing corporations.

3.1 Individuals may contribute their carbon directly to a company they own.
   3.2 50% of carbon produced by a worker will come from the worker's share while the owner must provide the remaining share through any means.
   3.3 Total carbon expenditures can be deducted on both individual and corporate income taxes.

Section 4: Penalties for violations.

4.1 The region will calculate the average value of carbon sold.
   4.2 For the first 10% overhead, the penalty is three times the price in 4.1 (on top of the tax assessed).
   4.3 All further overhead is fined at ten times the price in 4.1 (on top of the tax assessed).
   4.4 Penalty funds, as well as taxes on excess carbon, may not be deducted from individual or corporate income taxes.

Section 5: Creation of exchanges.

5.1 Lincoln government will help create marketplaces where carbon can be sold to other people who have a need to produce more carbon.
   5.2 Individual states will be given funding to create marketplaces.
   5.3 States can choose to implement 3 year transitions in the event of high concentration of manufacturing/energy sector plants or high degrees of rurality.
   5.4 A 5-member regional board appointed by the governor is to be formed to manage funding and to oversee transition plans.

Section 6: Trial period.

6.1 A trial period will take place in 2020 and 2021.
   6.2 During the trial period, caps of 250% will be in effect.
   6.3 A two times penalty rate will be in effect instead of the penalties outlined in section 4.
   6.4 If the policy is found to be problematic, with unanimous consent from the regional board, full implementation can be pushed back to 2023, with 2022 serving as an additional trial year, while changes to rates are made.

Sponsor: Thr and lfromnj
Time to Debate: 72 hours
Slot type Government
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 11:11:51 AM »

Do any of Lincoln's Councilors or citizens have a problem with this bill?
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 08:41:40 PM »

As there have been no objections I call for a final vote with 24 hours. I vote aye
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2019, 09:55:43 PM »

Nay.

I'm not opposed to the concept of the bill, I'm opposed to the writing of the bill and believe the errors too great to fix wth an amendment.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 08:01:46 AM »

Nay. I agree with DKrol on the matter. Also, for one, how are you going to force individuals to account for their carbon footprint? For parents, this means accounting for more than one footprint as well.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2019, 07:51:28 PM »

With a vote of 2-2 Governor Peanut will break the tie.
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2019, 11:22:24 PM »

The tie is broken with a nay. It seems to be a bill opposed by the heads of both my Government and my Opposition, and while I would have liked to see more substantive debate, and considered voting Aye and then sending it to referendum, I would tend to err on the side of caution considering the Chancellor's and Opposition Leader's reluctance to adopt this bill.

The bill does not pass.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies