Islamophobic shooting in Christchurch, NZ (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:46:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Islamophobic shooting in Christchurch, NZ (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Islamophobic shooting in Christchurch, NZ  (Read 9125 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« on: March 14, 2019, 10:09:32 PM »

I know Christchurch mostly as the site of the Parker-Hulme murder case, a media circus from the 1950s that the early Peter Jackson movie Heavenly Creatures (starring a very young Kate Winslet and Melanie Lynskey) dramatizes. This is obviously orders of magnitude worse, and further sinks the probably very skewed impression I have of the place.

To go sincerity mode for a moment, if any Muslim forumites want someone to talk to or vent at about this, I always read my PMs.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 10:29:16 PM »

Guardian liveblog here.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 12:46:51 AM »

I made the profound mistake of watching the terrorist's video. The most disturbing thing of the many disturbing things about it was that it's remarkable how similar it looks to those stupid video games these people play. I don't expect to have good dreams tonight.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 08:06:38 PM »

Given the Tree of Life shooter's Gab account and this scumbag's activities on 4chan/8chan, it really feels like law enforcement needs to pay more attention to the so-called "Dark web" to find these scumbags before they pull of an attack.

What a nightmare. Horrible.

4chan/8chan aren't even the dark web. They're easily accessible from search engines and most socially awkward men of a certain Millennial sub-generation (myself included) have distinct memories of using them extensively as teenagers (relatively well-adjusted people having, of course, outgrown them years and years ago). That's part of the problem.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2019, 01:55:22 PM »

Basically doing exactly what the terrorist wanted.
Not exactly sending a very strong response.

I think the terrorist probably wanted more guns tbh.

He very specifically stated he chose guns because he wanted to create conflict over gun control.

His manifesto says at length that he wants a full-scale race war over gun control in the United States (which I think you and I can probably agree is a bizarre and fanciful notion; a race war in the United States wouldn't be over gun control and a civil war in the United States over gun control 1. isn't going to happen and 2. wouldn't be particularly racialized). Political consensus-building on gun control in New Zealand goes completely without mention. Don't be disingenuous.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2019, 12:14:33 PM »

Giving into the desires of terrorists is weak.

Again, the manifesto says nothing one way or the other about making public opinion in New Zealand converge on gun control measures as one of the terrorist's goals. What it does talk a lot about is increasing the salience of gun control as a knee-jerk wedge issue in the US--in other words, exactly what you're contributing to in this thread.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2019, 02:13:40 PM »

Kurz speaking a word of power (in the direction of his coalition partner FPÖ):

FPÖ should take a clear position

"I expect the FPÖ to take a clear stance and, if there are connections with the Identitarians, to intervene and separate them, any kind of intertwining with the Identitarians has to be cut. Looking the other way is not possible." stressed The Chancellor. "Right-wing radicals are no better than Islamist extremists, and both radical ideologies pose a threat to our country and have no place in our free and liberal society," Kurz said in the Oberösterreichische Nachrichten.

https://kurier.at/politik/inland/kurz-ruegt-fpoe-kein-umgang-mit-dieser-rechtsextremen-bewegung/400453402

I'm pleasantly surprised given Kurz's overall image and style.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies