UK General Discussion: 2019 and onwards, The End of May
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:33:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion: 2019 and onwards, The End of May
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 36
Author Topic: UK General Discussion: 2019 and onwards, The End of May  (Read 64845 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #450 on: April 10, 2019, 05:41:22 PM »

When you start to think that Theresa May is the worst leader of a major EU country, Marcon reminds you otherwise.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #451 on: April 10, 2019, 06:08:16 PM »

So are there any indications that the U.K. will vote in the upcoming EU parliamentary election or no?

Another thing I’m curious about is why won’t the EU just cut the strings already? A vote won’t get passed until a new GE anyway, and as of now that isn’t happening for another few years.
Helsinkian
Finland

« Reply #452 on: April 10, 2019, 06:12:25 PM »

UK will take part in the EP election. France demanded a "review" of the process in June as a part of the 31 October compromise; if the UK has not held the election, supposedly they will then be kicked out at that point. But May has already given the go-ahead for the EP election preparations.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #453 on: April 10, 2019, 06:16:36 PM »

So the EU elections here might be for less than six months, even more pointless than I thought.

Thanks for that, Macron.

Big whoop.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #454 on: April 10, 2019, 07:24:42 PM »

Another thing I’m curious about is why won’t the EU just cut the strings already?

Hasn't this already been explained? What you describe is not actually an option outside of the realms of fantasy. 'No Deal' would not mean 'no deal' but would actually mean the need for rather a lot of deals and the endless negotiations that would necessarily precede them. There is no option that allows either party to just end things and move on to matters they'd rather discuss.
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix
E: -4.42, S: 1.82

« Reply #455 on: April 10, 2019, 07:41:09 PM »

What are we going to achieve in these extra months except more polarization?

I'm not very optimistic.
swl
France

« Reply #456 on: April 11, 2019, 01:40:34 AM »

While the European Parliament elections will take place next month, let's remember that the new European Commission will only start working from November 1st. With the UK leaving on October 31st, there is probably a way to exclude the UK government from the negotiations and UK MEPs from the vote on the new Commission. It's quite important considering that influential voices in the UK have called to sabotage the EU functioning from inside.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #457 on: April 11, 2019, 03:58:53 AM »

That may well be one of Macron's motivations, but since it seems most other EU states did not agree with him it is a bit of a moot point. What if we ask for another extension as Halloween approaches? Or even have another referendum and vote to stay after all??
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #458 on: April 11, 2019, 04:04:35 AM »

That may well be one of Macron's motivations, but since it seems most other EU states did not agree with him it is a bit of a moot point. What if we ask for another extension as Halloween approaches? Or even have another referendum and vote to stay after all??

Neither of these scenarios are of course entirely impossible at this point.

Ultimately Macron always seems to budge, since he doesn't want to be sole head of state responsible for a no-deal Brexit with everybody being angry at him. It would be a different situation of more states were to switch over to his side though.
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #459 on: April 11, 2019, 04:34:17 AM »

Another thing I’m curious about is why won’t the EU just cut the strings already?

Hasn't this already been explained? What you describe is not actually an option outside of the realms of fantasy. 'No Deal' would not mean 'no deal' but would actually mean the need for rather a lot of deals and the endless negotiations that would necessarily precede them. There is no option that allows either party to just end things and move on to matters they'd rather discuss.

I thought No Deal meant using WTO rules?
DaWN
United Kingdom

« Reply #460 on: April 11, 2019, 05:12:22 AM »

There's probably an irony in the date being 31 October, I just can't quite put my finger on what that irony is
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #461 on: April 11, 2019, 05:18:53 AM »

It is and those are much worse than we have now for traders.

Also, Julian Assange has been arrested. Video of him being dragged out of the embassy looking rather pathetic is on Twitter.
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #462 on: April 11, 2019, 09:02:38 AM »

Its a lot more complicated than that.  The EU goes far beyond trade and a lot of other industries in the UK rely on EU-related laws and schemes to do business across Europe.  For example in the case of a no-deal Brexit you'd need some sort of deal on financial services in order for the City to continue trading in Europe without having to go through the processes that companies from other third companies need to go through; the UK would be out of the EU data protection area so significant amounts of bureaucracy would be required to buy or sell data to and from Europe (and remember that is a growing industry and is increasingly important to be able to do; and that the EU are very strict on enforcing data protection legislation); you have issues when it comes to allowing shipping between the south coast and France and the significant queues that would occur if the correct paperwork (that most companies haven't needed to follow since 1992 due to the Single Market) wasn't always used etc etc.

Add in the complex nature of the Northern Ireland body and the need to set up customs and border controls on either the border (which would anger the Republic of Ireland, Catholics in Northern Ireland as well as anyone living on the border who often need to cross the border regularly as part of their day to day life) or on the Irish Sea (angering Unionists all over the UK especially in Northern Ireland) and the need to do that as soon as possible to prevent smuggling and people trafficking and, well, you can see how complex this all in.  Especially when you add in needing to adapt to the loss of freedom of movement and the implications that has both on EU citizens in the UK and UK citizens living in other EU member states; its not just "WTO!!!".  The relationship between the UK and EU is very different to the relationship between two random countries and that's why there's a need for some sort of transitional arrangement and close future partnership if we do leave the EU.

Add in the fact that WTO terms are incredibly bad trading terms; and that the UK wouldn't just be losing the advantage of the Single Market but also lose most of the trade deals that the EU has negotiated with the rest of the world (some have been bilateralised; most haven't) and you create a situation which is nasty for everyone.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #463 on: April 11, 2019, 09:06:17 AM »

There is a Temporary Permissions Regime that's been set up to allow EU financial firms to continue trading in the UK on a temporary basis under the existing passporting arrangements if we were to No Deal/WTO Brexit.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #464 on: April 11, 2019, 11:56:41 AM »

Oh and the thread title can be changed (again) now.......
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #465 on: April 11, 2019, 03:44:07 PM »

Congratulations are due for CHUK for literally being the party of the 1%:

Dat UKIP bounce, though. A general election is just going to lead to a bigger mess somehow, it must.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #466 on: April 11, 2019, 09:33:50 PM »

Maybe a Corbyn win would be a sign that Bernie will win, like Brexit did with Trump winning.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #467 on: April 11, 2019, 11:57:26 PM »

This is still not going to change anything.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #468 on: April 12, 2019, 07:14:00 PM »

With the pressure suddenly all gone, it seems like nothing important happens with regard to Brexit now. A EP election campaign is slowly starting with the bizarre backdrop that it's not 100% certain that this election will actually occur (although I'd say chances for that are certainly higher than 50%). So, are they gonna those six months now to gradually come to the conclusion to hold a second referendun?
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #469 on: April 12, 2019, 07:17:38 PM »

With the pressure suddenly all gone, it seems like nothing important happens with regard to Brexit now. A EP election campaign is slowly starting with the bizarre backdrop that it's not 100% certain that this election will actually occur (although I'd say chances for that are certainly higher than 50%). So, are they gonna those six months now to gradually come to the conclusion to hold a second referendun?

More than 90% if not 99% I would say. The only way they wouldn't is if May's deal was passed before then and we thus exited the EU - but what reason would any of those who haven't backed it thus far have to change their minds?
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #470 on: April 15, 2019, 11:44:47 AM »

ChUK-TIG is now officially a Party:
http://search.electoralcommission.org.uk/English/Registrations/PP9077
DaWN
United Kingdom

« Reply #471 on: April 15, 2019, 11:47:31 AM »

As happy as I am they exist, and as willing as I am to give them my full support, they have chosen a really, REALLY, crappy name.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #472 on: April 15, 2019, 12:25:15 PM »

As happy as I am they exist, and as willing as I am to give them my full support, they have chosen a really, REALLY, crappy name.

Out of interest, why do you prefer them to the Lib Dems?

(And yes, the name is rubbish.)
DaWN
United Kingdom

« Reply #473 on: April 15, 2019, 12:43:08 PM »

Out of interest, why do you prefer them to the Lib Dems?

Honestly? Because the coalition is still very much in my mind. Their spinelessness is letting the Tories do pretty much everything they wanted to do (including ramping tuition fees meaning I've got about £20,000 more debt than I otherwise would have) is frankly unforgivable. I don't despise them as much as I did in the 2010-2015 period, indeed back in 2017-18 when I had no choice I voted for them, albeit reluctantly. It's just now there's a better option, and I'd rather vote for the centrist anti-Brexiteer (honestly more important to me at this point than being pro-EU lmao) party which doesn't have that kind of history.

Is it petty of me to still hold the coalition against them? Probably. But sometimes politics is petty.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #474 on: April 16, 2019, 08:11:58 AM »

pointless running alone. should have a created a second referendum front with LD, PC, Greens and others just for the European Elections
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 36  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies