UK General Discussion: 2019 and onwards, The End of May
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 02:22:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion: 2019 and onwards, The End of May
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36
Author Topic: UK General Discussion: 2019 and onwards, The End of May  (Read 66226 times)
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #750 on: June 07, 2019, 03:57:54 PM »

It'll be 318 neither once the new Labour MP is sworn in, so it'll go to 4.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #751 on: June 07, 2019, 04:58:45 PM »

Given that a Brecon + Radnorshire recall is fairly likely at this point, which I assume the Lib Dems would be heavy favourites for, the number could be whittled down a bit more.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #752 on: June 08, 2019, 03:20:55 AM »

I'll have an update on the map soon (in the Conservative Election thread in Intl Elections) - but worth saying Theresa May has now resigned, and nominations are open.

According to my data, the following candidates have yet to get the nominations they need:

Mark Harper
Andrea Leadsom
Rory Stewart
Esther McVey
Sam Gyimah
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #753 on: June 09, 2019, 03:15:31 PM »

Posting here too -

Includes today's ream of endorsements for Boris and tomorrow's Rudd endorsement for Hunt and Bradley endorsement for Gove.

Nominations close tomorrow - can the underdogs get on the ballot?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #754 on: June 10, 2019, 06:03:18 AM »

OK, let's talk about serious developments for a change.

Jacob Rees-Mogg admits to killing a string of prostitutes in 1888

Police will now investigate Rees-Mogg’s claims and, if found true, he could face a six-month suspended sentence – the largest sentence that can be given to a Conservative MP.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #755 on: June 10, 2019, 03:24:19 PM »

Daily update - from the other thread. At the close of nominations.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #756 on: June 10, 2019, 03:46:55 PM »

Sussex is HUNT COUNTRY
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #757 on: June 10, 2019, 04:30:14 PM »

Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #758 on: June 10, 2019, 04:31:38 PM »

Why would Remainers back Boris?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #759 on: June 10, 2019, 05:19:57 PM »

they want a ministerial car?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #760 on: June 10, 2019, 08:06:00 PM »

Conservative MP's seem to be under the (dangerous) delusion that he is somehow popular with the electorate and would "save their seats" in an eventual General Election. That, the opportunism associated with the fact that he seems like the likely winner, and of course, Boris's own exhaustive manuevers to portray himself as moderate (and "One Nation") in a number of issues.

Johnson has shown a remarkable ability not to face the consequences of some of his acts (like his beyond incompetent performance as Foreign Secretary or his own drug use, issue which appears to be sinking Gove but not affecting him), but I'd expecting to crash and burn early as Prime Minister.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #761 on: June 11, 2019, 06:57:25 AM »

Most of our "free" press has his back, though.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #762 on: June 11, 2019, 07:54:25 PM »

We're getting close to the Boris Johnson/ Jeremy Corbyn general election that we all dreamed and memed
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #763 on: June 12, 2019, 07:18:56 AM »

We're getting close to the Boris Johnson/ Jeremy Corbyn general election that we all dreamed and memed

So fiercely xenophobic bigot who supports Brexit and has shown pro-Putin sympathies vs. fiercely anti-Semitic bigot who supports Brexit and has shown pro-Putin sympathies?  

LibDems it is, I suppose Tongue
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #764 on: June 12, 2019, 07:23:35 AM »

So fiercely xenophobic bigot who supports Brexit and has shown pro-Putin sympathies vs. fiercely anti-Semitic bigot who supports Brexit and has shown pro-Putin sympathies?  

You joke but a Johnson vs Corbyn match up could really let the LibDems in with a frightening amount of (poorly vetted) MPs
DaWN
United Kingdom

« Reply #765 on: June 12, 2019, 08:07:48 AM »

I don't want any American liberals to complain about Biden or whatever other non-progressive Democrat again if this is the match-up we're getting over here
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #766 on: June 12, 2019, 12:59:55 PM »

You joke but a Johnson vs Corbyn match up could really let the LibDems in with a frightening amount of (poorly vetted) MPs

Not a Lib Dem by any means, but they seem to be the party that is least affected by the problem of poor MPs/problems resulting from vetting procedures.

beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #767 on: June 12, 2019, 01:06:52 PM »

The day before the first ballot - here's how things stand.
urutzizu
« Reply #768 on: June 12, 2019, 01:14:17 PM »

Not a Lib Dem by any means, but they seem to be the party that is least affected by the problem of poor MPs/problems resulting from vetting procedures.

They did run Rabina Khan in the EU elections though, i.e. the former protege of the notoriously corrupt and crypto-islamist mayor of tower hamlets Luftur Rahman.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #769 on: June 12, 2019, 02:26:24 PM »

They did run Rabina Khan in the EU elections though, i.e. the former protege of the notoriously corrupt and crypto-islamist mayor of tower hamlets Luftur Rahman.

True. They also had David Ward, an awful MP. But on the whole I think they've done well at selecting candidates - take Wera Hobhouse and Layla Moran in Westminster for example. The 2010 intake was also pretty strong - Julian Huppert, Tessa Munt and Gordon Birtwistle for example. I don't agree with either of them on much but they are strong MPs.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #770 on: June 12, 2019, 06:05:06 PM »

I don't want any American liberals to complain about Biden or whatever other non-progressive Democrat again if this is the match-up we're getting over here
Although most of those who bitch about Biden/other centrist Dems the most would turn a blind eye to the anti-Semitism charges re: Corbyn.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #771 on: June 12, 2019, 06:14:00 PM »

Just to correct a common misconception: Rahman was never any kind of Islamist, crypto or other, simply a hilariously corrupt Bengali machine politician who operated on a quid pro quo basis when it came to the exchange of favours, services and policies for votes. Not that association with the guy is ever a good sign in a political figure...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #772 on: June 12, 2019, 06:17:21 PM »

That's only because their present parliamentary party really could fit into a single taxi, albeit not legally. Historically speaking at least (and they've not changed how they go about picking candidates!) their record on this matter is worse than average.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #773 on: June 12, 2019, 06:21:23 PM »

Or it might repolarise (is that a word?) things around the traditional "big two", like last time.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #774 on: June 13, 2019, 01:25:29 AM »

They had a cabinet Minister sacked within the first week for expenses fiddling, a former leadership candidate was caught paying rent boys to sh**t on him, and their former leader paid someone to kill his rent boy...
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies