SENATE BILL: Mexico City Policy Clarification... (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:53:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Mexico City Policy Clarification... (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Mexico City Policy Clarification... (Passed)  (Read 1085 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 05, 2019, 03:19:10 AM »
« edited: March 19, 2019, 05:13:28 PM by Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee »

AN ACT
To clarify and reaffirm executive authority concerning women’s health services

Be it Enacted in Both Houses of Congress Assembled,
Section 1: Title and Definitions
1. This act shall be titled the “Mexico City Policy Clarification and Reaffirmation of Executive Authority Act”
2. “Abortion” shall be defined as any procedure that terminates pregnancy through the use of physical or chemical means
3. “Women’s health services” shall be defined as any procedure that supports, expands, or in any other way furthers the reproductive health and care of a woman
4. “Medically necessary procedure” shall be defined as any medical treatment or procedure deemed necessary to sustain the life of an individual or patient as decided by a present medical professional
5. “Medical professional” shall be defined as any person who has received adequate credentials within the jurisdiction of their practice to perform medical procedures and has agreed to perform such procedures
6. “Medically Unnecessary procedure” shall be defined as any medical treatment or procedure that is not deemed necessary to sustain the life of an individual or patient

Section 2: Clarifying the Mexico City Policy
1. The President shall possess the power to prevent the funding of any medically unnecessary abortion by any nongovernment organization via executive order
2. Nongovernment organizations shall be allowed to use speech and spread information concerning women’s health services, including the practice of abortion, while the Mexico City Policy is in effect.
3. Nongovernment organizations shall continue to receive funding for family planning services if they do not fund medically unnecessary abortions while the Mexico City Policy is in effect.
3. The Congress of Atlasia reaffirms its commitment to free expression and freedom of speech

Section 3: Implementation
1. This act shall go into effect immediately

Sponsor: Devout Centrist
Senate Designation: SB 9012 I think
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 03:19:52 AM »

Senator Devout Centrist has 24 hours to begin advocating for this bill. Senators shall have 72 hours generally to respond to this bill and make comments, ask questions etc. Failure to do so in that 72 hours.....you'll see what happens!

YOU'll SEE WHAT HAPPENS!!!!

YOU'll SEE WHAT HAPPENS!!!!
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2019, 04:13:57 AM »

I stand in opposition to this bill, the Mexico City Policy must remain in full effect.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2019, 11:25:37 AM »

Thank you, Senator Yankee.

The Mexico City Policy is an important piece of executive action. I support the President's ability to restrict funding for abortion for NGO's that receive Atlasian money. However, I stand in opposition to a global gag order on abortion. This restriction on NGO's is, quite frankly, onerous and does nothing to prevent abortion as a practice. Furthermore, I think restricting funding for medically necessary abortions is the wrong approach if we're trying to preserve women's health and well being.

I ask that my colleagues consider this bill as the start of a greater conversation on abortion and on Congress's role in preserving freedom of expression.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2019, 11:27:03 AM »

I propose an amendment.

AN ACT

1. This act shall be titled the “Mexico City Policy Clarification and Reaffirmation of Executive Authority Act”
2. “Abortion” shall be defined as any procedure that terminates pregnancy through the use of physical or chemical means
3. “Women’s health services” shall be defined as any procedure that supports, expands, or in any other way furthers the reproductive health and care of a woman
4. “Medically necessary procedure” shall be defined as any medical treatment or procedure deemed necessary to sustain the life of an individual or patient as decided by a present medical professional
5. “Medical professional” shall be defined as any person who has received adequate credentials within the jurisdiction of their practice to perform medical procedures and has agreed to perform such procedures
6. “Medically Unnecessary procedure” shall be defined as any medical treatment or procedure that is not deemed necessary to sustain the life of an individual or patient

1. The President shall possess the power to prevent the funding of any medically unnecessary abortion by any nongovernment organization via executive order
2. Nongovernment organizations shall be allowed to use speech and spread information concerning women’s health services, including the practice of abortion, while the Mexico City Policy is in effect.
3. Nongovernment organizations shall continue to receive funding for family planning services if they do not fund medically unnecessary abortions while the Mexico City Policy is in effect.
3 4. The Congress of Atlasia reaffirms its commitment to free expression and freedom of speech

Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2019, 12:17:00 PM »

I propose an amendment.

AN ACT

3 4. The Congress of Atlasia reaffirms its commitment to free expression and freedom of speech

The floor leader can make minor amendments like this without a vote but thanks for identifying it.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2019, 02:39:56 PM »

Yes, thank you for catching that.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2019, 11:58:26 PM »
« Edited: March 06, 2019, 12:09:08 AM by 🌈Rainbow Jihad »

This is a bill that I advised Senator DC to propose in response to the President's decision to reinstate the Mexico City policy, as Fremont is currently considering legislation that would ensure NGOs continue to receive funding if the MCP is put in place.

Under the MCP as it currently exists, funding can be withdrawn from NGOs simply for spreading information related to abortion.  Organizations that lose this funding may have to cut services linked to newborn, infant, and child health, such as vaccinations, as well as prevention of treatment for HIV/AIDS, malaria, and tuberculosis, and nutrition programs.  These funds are also used to combat high mortality rates among women who bear children.

Put simply, defunding these organizations does not stop abortions from happening and it certainly doesn't save lives; if anything, it does the opposite.  As it stands, Atlasia is the largest global donor on health, and our ability to provide these vital services should not be compromised for political reasons.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2019, 11:10:39 AM »

Quote from: Amendment 17:01 by Mainieac
AN ACT

Sponsor Feedback: Friendly I assume
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2019, 11:14:27 AM »

The Mexico City Policy is an important piece of executive action. I support the President's ability to restrict funding for abortion for NGO's that receive Atlasian money. However, I stand in opposition to a global gag order on abortion. This restriction on NGO's is, quite frankly, onerous and does nothing to prevent abortion as a practice. Furthermore, I think restricting funding for medically necessary abortions is the wrong approach if we're trying to preserve women's health and well being.

I ask that my colleagues consider this bill as the start of a greater conversation on abortion and on Congress's role in preserving freedom of expression.

How does the gag order work exactly?
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2019, 11:38:53 AM »

Excellent piece of legislation. I fully support this.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2019, 03:55:30 PM »

How does the gag order work exactly?
Essentially, NGO's that receive Atlasian funds are prohibited from giving information related to legal abortion services. This applies regardless whether an NGO directly provides abortions or not. Merely discussing an abortion procedure or providing information will result in an NGO losing funding from Atlasia.

The sources I've seen describe the situation like this:

These are two possible outcomes

1. Accept U.S. family planning funds and be prohibited from providing abortion counseling, referrals, or even advocacy efforts and from providing abortions outside of the three exceptions.

2. Refuse U.S. family planning funds and attempt to secure alternative sources of funding in order to keep health clinics open, continue providing a range of sexual and reproductive health services to clients, and continue advocating for law reforms to reduce unsafe abortion.

As it stands, a global gag rule is not in the best interests of women's health nor does it prevent unsafe abortions.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2019, 03:37:28 PM »

The amendment has been adopted.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2019, 07:26:50 PM »

What is the situation here now?
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2019, 09:29:14 PM »

I motion for a final vote, it seems everyone's said what they've wanted to on this.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2019, 09:39:33 PM »

I would second a final vote.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2019, 06:08:56 PM »

A Final vote is now open on this legislation, Senators please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2019, 06:11:04 PM »

Aye
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2019, 06:13:14 PM »

Aye
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2019, 06:59:46 PM »

Aye
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2019, 08:47:55 PM »

Aye.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2019, 05:26:58 AM »

Nay
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2019, 05:11:01 PM »

Vote on final passage of the Mexico City Policy Clarification and Reaffirmation of Executive Authority Act:

Aye (4): Devout Centrist, Maineiac, OntarioProgressive and Tack50
Nay (1): NC Yankee
Abstain (0):

Didn't Vote (0):
Vacant (1): Lechasseur (ended just before vern was elected).

This bill has passed the Senate and is sent to the VP for House action.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2019, 05:14:28 PM »

Quote from: Final Senate text
SENATE BILL

4. The Congress of Atlasia reaffirms its commitment to free expression and freedom of speech

People's Regional Senate
Passed 4-1 in the Atlasian Senate Assembled,

AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2019, 06:45:48 PM »

This legislation still hasn't reached the house, despite passing the senate and there being 9 open legislative slots in the House.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies